What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

104458ytchcufhujjharj6.jpg

Let's do some engine math.

123 AL-31FN Series 3 engines were purchased in 2011.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...illion-russian-jet-engine-deal-vedomosti-says

53+ engines have been used for J-10B production.
18 engines have been used for the J-20 so far.
A couple of engines have been used for early J-10C.
All numbers above are approximate.

That means we only have enough engines left for a single squadron of production J-20.
Any further J-20 production will have to rely on WS-15.
Salut and Rosoboronexport have not announced any further engine sales to CAC since 2011.
We know the WS-10 has never been tested on the J-20.
This can only be good news for the WS-15 program.

Small correction:

we have so far 53 J-10B + 27 (at least) J-10C using the FN = 80
we have indeed 9 J-20 = 18
-------------------------------------------
98 ... so there are indeed 24 engines left from this order.

Since the batch 02 J-10C are surely again also 55 aircraft - aka 28 aircraft still missing - remains the question if all will go to the J-10C or if they will fit them into 12 J-20 ??

The biggest question mark in this calculation however is that we calculate a 1:1 use ... IMO there are surely several as spares.

I don't think the next batch of J-20 will already get the WS-15 ... it won't be ready within the next two years without any further testing. So IMO the only - and most likely answer - is a yet secret additional engine deal for the J-20.

It is an incorrect estimation as you guys do not know how many of the Russian engines are still in stock when 123 nos of AL-31FN were ordered.

Also how about the status of engines getting major overhauls or scrapped ?

images

just a curious question, can J-20 to be modified to have forward swept wing such as SU-41, it will be cool to have a stealthy forward swept wing, I'm not aerodynamist but I believe J-20 and Su-41 are both similar size, canard, twin engines, twin vertical tails. it will be a potential candidate for transformation :D

sukhoi-fighter-su41.jpg

J-20+Mighty+Dragon++Chengdu+J-20+fifth+generation+stealth%252C+twin-engine+fighter+aircraft+prototype+People%2527s+Liberation+Army+Air+Force++OPERATIONAL+weapons+aam+bvr+missile+ls+pgm+gps+plaaf+test+flight+2012+%25284%2529.jpg

just a curious question, can J-20 to be modified to have forward swept wing such as SU-41, it will be cool to have a stealthy forward swept wing, I'm not aerodynamist but I believe J-20 and Su-41 are both similar size, canard, twin engines, twin vertical tails. it will be a potential candidate for transformation :D

sukhoi-fighter-su41.jpg

J-20+Mighty+Dragon++Chengdu+J-20+fifth+generation+stealth%252C+twin-engine+fighter+aircraft+prototype+People%2527s+Liberation+Army+Air+Force++OPERATIONAL+weapons+aam+bvr+missile+ls+pgm+gps+plaaf+test+flight+2012+%25284%2529.jpg
Without consideration of aerodynamics, I prefer X wings. Haha.

Simply to say so: NO !! NEVER ... it would be a completely new design and all so far flown FSW-aircrafts like the S-37 and X-29 (even if based on the F-5/F-20 design) were one off new designs.

However it surely would be COOOOOOL.

Deino

J-20 2017 - 31.1.16.jpg

Sorry to ask again, but what happened ??

I think he was referring to this:

111628qwpt23tct2pp29jt.png.thumb.jpg

Some people said it is just because J-20 team members do not have to work OT during Chinese New Year Holiday season this year for the first time in five years,. They have been working 11+ hours per day, 7 days a week for too long.

Last edited:
Among the issues, China’s J-20 and J-31 stealth fighters cannot supercruise, or fly at supersonic speeds like their closest rivals, Lockheed Martin’s F-22 and F-35 stealth planes, without using after-burners, said two industry sources who follow Beijing’s military programs closely.

After-burners remove a warplane’s stealthiness, a capability that allows them to escape radar detection.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...gles-warplane-engine-technology/#.Vq4-jtJ97cs
& in below article too, same is repeated...
http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/75952/20160131/chinese-jet-fighter-technology-inferior.htm

Can any body comment on above....Is that ture?
@Deino

Could You please provide a translation ??

"On my WeChat Friends Circle, those guys from CAIC Tech Center went nuts cheering and capering. The keyword here is 5-year. Just use your imagination for what happened there."

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom