What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

From what I learned, there was no tracking of an F-22 by a J-20, but this - even mot mentioned which - radar was used to track F-22s on that occasion and that they were monitored. Later the J-20 was also "tested against" that radar and this report mentions in relation to this radar, how the J-20 and F-22 fared.

There was NOTHING about the F-22s being monitored by J-20s.

I think there is some confusion here. This presentation slide photo leaked from an event held in 2013 has nothing to do with J-20.

It simply mentions that some unspecified from the leak counter stealth radar detected F-22 around South Korea. It probably was flying in full stealth configuration without RCS enhancer lens since they could not detect it using any other conventional radars. Again the conventional radars compared with the counter stealth one wasn't able to find F-22 but the range again is strange. Unless it was located near to Korean peninsula.

It is probably simply referring to high wavelength band radars but somehow the range being discussed here is strange and surprising unless it's some form of over the horizon radar on from a ship? Anyway those are just guesses and doesn't involve J-20 since back in 2013, J-20 was only in test flight and not completed. Perhaps being confused with recent F-35 and J-20 encounters... again with that one we have no idea if RCS enhancers are involved and I'm sure many other factors that shouldn't be guessed on and conclusions arrived at.

According to the anti-stealth radar photos shown in Academician Wu's speech, it should be this kind of radar. Mobile air defense warning radar in UHF band YLC-8E
吴剑旗.jpg

YLC-8E.jpeg

The guy is talking about a meter wave radar in a multi-static arrangement, nothing earth shattering. It is a known vulnerability of stealth fighters, but multi-static radar is fixed, can be easily spoofed / jammed and degraded and cannot be reliably used to direct fire. Tell you what, a gaggle of F-22's or F-35's is also capable of accurate active/ passive geolocation ..so like I said nothing earth shattering...
I have been pointing out these 'solutions' and their weaknesses since '09. The problem for these people is that they do not bother to do basic research. Someone fed them one bit of information and they think that is the total, voila, 'stealth' is defeated. One guy even said Russia stopped developing the Su-57 because the Kolchuga system worked.

The guy is talking about a meter wave radar in a multi-static arrangement, nothing earth shattering. It is a known vulnerability of stealth fighters, but multi-static radar is fixed, can be easily spoofed / jammed and degraded and cannot be reliably used to direct fire. Tell you what, a gaggle of F-22's or F-35's is also capable of accurate active/ passive geolocation ..so like I said nothing earth shattering...

There is no effective way to jam meter wave radars and anti-radiation missiles cannot locate them autonomously as the wavelength is too large. The only way to deactivate meter wave radars is search for their exact locations by optical reconnaissance and then use ballistic or cruise missiles to physically destroy them.

BTW there are mobile meter wave radars available as well http://trishul-trident.blogspot.com/2018/12/
1651790014606.png

According to the anti-stealth radar photos shown in Academician Wu's speech, it should be this kind of radar. Mobile air defense warning radar in UHF band YLC-8E
View attachment 841064
View attachment 841065

Static ones (sparse array) were unveiled in some way as well.
1651791359119.png

Also airborne as reported from https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2015/08/stealth-and-anti-stealth-technology.html.
1651792021716.png

1651792402069.png

For the western world, I saw some report before which says they are also developing static, sparse array based meter wave radars in Australia.

Last edited:
There is no effective way to jam meter wave radars
nope, it is easier to jam and deceive - its a no brainer, meter wave has a narrow absolute bandwidth.This means a jammer needs to focus on small range of frequencies to effectively neutralize the radar. A netted arrangement as suggested by Wu Jianqi is a bit harder to jam and deceive but this arrangement is very static, because it requires several days of laborious configuration and hence of limited military utility.

An introduction to Wu Jianqi, reporting how he developed a distributed mobile 3-coordinate metric-wave radar after completing a stationary metric-wave radar capable of detecting stealth targets.
Article excerpts
After the realization of the anti-stealth advanced meter wave radar target, Wu Jianqi did not stop his exploration: this anti-stealth radar can only work as a fixed station and cannot achieve maneuvering transfer. In order to meet the needs of mobile operations, Wu Jianqi also explored a new theory and method of "divisional terrain matching" to overcome meter wave multipath interference, and proposed a unique technical plan, successfully developed my country's first mobile meter wave three-coordinate radar, and became the world's first distributed mobile meter wave three-coordinate radar.

In an interview with Wu Jianqi, Wu Jianqi made it clear that the metric wave radar adopts new technology to meet the needs of the Air Force's guided air combat capability and direct air defense missiles to shoot stealth targets. The Air Force is very satisfied after actual use.
吴剑旗3.png

nope, it is easier to jam and deceive - its a no brainer, meter wave has a narrow absolute bandwidth.This means a jammer needs to focus on small range of frequencies to effectively neutralize the radar. A netted arrangement as suggested by Wu Jianqi is a bit harder to jam and deceive but this arrangement is very static, because it requires several days of laborious configuration and hence of limited military utility.
WTF you don't know size of radar aperture is related to wavelength? How big can that kind of jammer be feasible with acceptable mobility?

Last edited:
I have been pointing out these 'solutions' and their weaknesses since '09. The problem for these people is that they do not bother to do basic research. Someone fed them one bit of information and they think that is the total, voila, 'stealth' is defeated. One guy even said Russia stopped developing the Su-57 because the Kolchuga system worked.

some of these guys are clearly here for their 50 cents. I guess I'm wasting my time with them.

WTF you don't know size of radar aperture is related to wavelength? How big can that kind of jammer be feasible with acceptable maneuverability?

some of these guys are clearly here for their 50 cents. I guess I'm wasting my time with them.
what's your major, btw? and any military experience? how many years?

jamming YLC-8E or JY-27A is not as easy as you thought.

Wait until AN/ALQ-249(V)2 Next Generation Jammer Low Band (NGJ-LB) is ready

The current AN/ALQ-99 still not very capable of doing it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom