What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Wow ... Here is at least to my knowledge the first clear image of J-20A '2022' and it clearly shown that patch! Any info when this image was posted first? ... and even more why I missed it?

(Image via @szheng615 from the http://lt.cjdby.net/forum)

1606803453421.png

There for sure is going to be a gun in the final design ... otherwise what is the point of MATV TVC for the J-20?
I don't think gun is needed in the first place. It's 21 century, Air to Air missile is way better than gun.
J-20 is not designed for ground attack.

I don't think gun is needed in the first place. It's 21 century, Air to Air missile is way better than gun.
J-20 is not designed for ground attack.
And if all missile expired by J-20 how can J-20 defend itself from rest of the enemy, and all air superiority 5th gen have gun with exception of J-20, gun is necessary for last diched weapon, so J-20 definitely need a gun

And if all missile expired by J-20 how can J-20 defend itself from rest of the enemy, and all air superiority 5th gen have gun with exception of J-20, gun is necessary for last diched weapon, so J-20 definitely need a gun
F-22 is old cold war design.
F-35 is not designed for confronting J-20, not in their original design. F-35 is multi role combat jet, but mainly play attack role in NATO.
J-20 is a surprise to US.
F-35 need guns, doesn't mean J-20 need guns.
Not always US lead the warfare.

F-22 is old cold war design.
F-35 is not designed for confronting J-20, not in their original design. F-35 is multi role combat jet, but mainly play attack role in NATO.
J-20 is a surprise to US.
F-35 need guns, doesn't mean J-20 need guns.
Not always US lead the warfare.
You don't answer my question, how can J-20 save itself from rest of the enemy when all its missiles ammunitions expired????

You don't answer my question, how can J-20 save itself from rest of the enemy when all its missiles ammunitions expired????
funny. when you have gun, you already lost 1 missile or 2. Gun is heavy, occupy a big chunk of space.
Any space and weight is precious, you have to balance your options, and think how to take the maximum usage of those space and weight.
Everything comes a cost. You carry a gun, lose space and weight for more air to air missiles in the first place.

F-35 can not do super cruise for good reasons. Bulky body, very limited space for weapon bay.

I stop here, mod @Deino will delete our meaningless discussion anyway.

It seems you are quite new to jet design.

The J-20 is a supersonic aircraft. long range, stealth

1. The J-20 is not stationary, it is continuously moving. Want to shoot down with a gun, the enemy must move with a faster speed and must approach within 500m -> 1km. How do you accurately locate the J-20 and make sure it can be shot down with a few hundred bullets when the j-20 moves at supersonic speed and not in a straight line?

2. Assume that the F-22 and F-35 are faster than the J-20 and have a magic gun hit with 100% probability. Then, how did the F-22 and the F-35 return with the remaining fuel?

3. The J-20 is not alone, it is usually in teams, sharing information with each other and can be aided by early warning systems, satellites, air defense radars. It is unlikely that the J-20 runs out of missiles and is approached by enemy fighters within a very close distance of <2 km. What is the probability that all teams will use up all the missiles (including medium- and short-range air-to-air missiles within the range of 50-100 km)? If the F-35 and F-22 stealth aircraft approached the J-20 within visible distance, it would lose stealth effectiveness and could be shot down by J-16, J-11, J-10. In fact, without getting close to the J-20 within a range of 50-100 km, it will be shot down by another J-20 with a short and medium-range air-to-air missile.

Last edited:
funny. when you have gun, you already lost 1 missile or 2. Gun is heavy, occupy a big chunk of space.
Any space and weight is precious, you have to balance your options, and think how to take the maximum usage of those space and weight.
Everything comes a cost. You carry a gun, lose space and weight for more air to air missiles in the first place.

F-35 can not do super cruise for good reasons. Bulky body, very limited space for weapon bay.

I stop here, mod @Deino will delete our meaningless discussion anyway.

It seems you are quite new to jet design.
you still avoiding my main question, J-20 have a storage of 6-8 AAMs in its WEAPON BAYS if we can assume that 4 AAMs are on the wings for non stealthy missions thats makes 10-12 AAMs , IF J-20 could expand all these AAMs so how can J-20 defend itself from rest of the enemy

sorry dude you have no logic and knowledge of military tactics and strategies

you still avoiding my main question, J-20 have a storage of 6-8 AAMs in its WEAPON BAYS if we can assume that 4 AAMs are on the wings for non stealthy missions thats makes 10-12 AAMs , IF J-20 could expand all these AAMs so how can J-20 defend itself from rest of the enemy

sorry dude you have no logic and knowledge of military tactics and strategies
LOL
Technology determines the tactics.
timg.gif

Back
Top Bottom