What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

I think china can probably do better than j20, maybe stall till next generation?

I have a feeling the final J-31 will become more advanced & perfected than the J-20, and will end up becoming the main fighter of not just the PLAN but also the PLAAF. The J-20 was China's first ever stealth aircraft, even though both were competing at the same time & the J-20 won. the J-31 went through drastic changes since then and the experience they got from the J-20 & the first variant of the J-31 became like a stepping stone towards developing a perfect J-31/J-35.

I have a feeling the final J-31 will become more advanced & perfected than the J-20, and will end up becoming the main fighter of not just the PLAN but also the PLAAF. The J-20 was China's first ever stealth aircraft, even though both were competing at the same time & the J-20 won. the J-31 went through drastic changes since then and the experience they got from the J-20 & the first variant of the J-31 became like a stepping stone towards developing a perfect J-31/J-35.
Funny...
Why do you think J-20 can't be evloving with the times?
The production of F-22 has stopped, but J-20 not.

No it will not ... how can an aircraft (i.e. the FC-31), whose design was rejected in favor of the J-20 become better than the J-20, especially when it has the full backing of the PLAAF and AVIC? The J-20 is a proven aircraft that is already in operation versus the FC-31 which is still languishing in the prototype phase. Meanwhile, variants of the J-20 are being worked on, with the J-20B or J-20C equipped with WS-15 engines being the most imminent one. There is a reason why the J-20 is not available for export, while the FC-31 is.

Funny...
Why do you think J-20 can't be evloving with the times?
The production of F-22 has stopped, but J-20 not.

Wait when did I ever say the J-20 cannot evolve? we already know there is a new variant j-20B and there will be more enhancement and upgrades in successor variants, but it is exactly because the J-20 is already in production while the J-31 is still not in production that the they can make the kind of drastic changes required to obtain a perfect fighter.
There is a limit to how much you can upgrade and enhance an existing design that is already in production, but there is no such limit on an aircraft that has yet to enter production in is still in development stage.

No it will not ... how can an aircraft (i.e. the FC-31), whose design was rejected in favor of the J-20 become better than the J-20, especially when it has the full backing of the PLAAF and AVIC? The J-20 is a proven aircraft that is already in operation versus the FC-31 which is still languishing in the prototype phase. Meanwhile, variants of the J-20 are being worked on, with the J-20B or J-20C equipped with WS-15 engines being the most imminent one. There is a reason why the J-20 is not available for export, while the FC-31 is.

Languishing in development? I mean we know it is under developmemt but were there actually any news/leaks that said the J-31 is "languishing"!
There is a drastic difference between the current J-31/J-35 and that fighter that lost in the competition, even just by the looks of the aircraft it looks like a new fighter different from the FC-31, that is how much they could change it.

Wait when did I ever say the J-20 cannot evolve? we already know there is a new variant j-20B and there will be more enhancement and upgrades in successor variants, but it is exactly because the J-20 is already in production while the J-31 is still not in production that the they can make the kind of drastic changes required to obtain a perfect fighter.
There is a limit to how much you can upgrade and enhance an existing design that is already in production, but there is no such limit on an aircraft that has yet to enter production in is still in development stage.
As we know, the later JF-17 has benefited from the development of J-10.
Do you think JF-17 BLK III would perform better than J-10C?

There is a limit to how much you can upgrade and enhance an existing design that is already in production
As J-20 is still in production, there is no a such limit.
Take J-10 for exmple. J-10A can't be upgraded to the standard of J-10C.

Languishing in development? I mean we know it is under developmemt but were there actually any news/leaks that said the J-31 is "languishing"!
There is a drastic difference between the current J-31/J-35 and that fighter that lost in the competition, even just by the looks of the aircraft it looks like a new fighter different from the FC-31, that is how much they could change it.
Only if FC-31/J-35 is desgined to be a 6th-generation fighter jet from the beginning, you would be right, and FC-31/J-35 can perform better that the 5th-generation J-20.

Pretty irrelevant as by the mid-2030s a far more advanced 6th gen fighter will start joining the PLAAF.

FC-31 will only be coming into service in the second half of this decade
and so not many years before China's 6th gen fighter.

微信图片_20200921023519.jpg

Via @34号军事室 from Weixin

When do you expect the WS-15 engines to enter production? @Deino
Head of GTE said design certification by 2021 to 2023 back in 2018. Once design certification is achieved, then mass production can begin. It is currently in flight testing stage, most likely aboard a modified J-11B. Its incorporation into the J-20 I presume will not take long.

Head of GTE said design certification by 2021 to 2023 back in 2018. Once design certification is achieved, then mass production can begin. It is currently in flight testing stage, most likely aboard a modified J-11B. Its incorporation into the J-20 I presume will not take long.

So j20 will have supercruise then?

FC-31 development will be carried forward to J-35 navalized stealth fighter that manufacturer is still deciding whether to proceed building 1 powered by tuned up WS-10X or can it wait for WS-15. FC-31 itself will be export variant stealth fighter or low RCS fighter with external load.

It is not known whether the J-35 will adopt conventional layout with elevator at the back like F-35C or with forward canard design as in never built navalized X-32, navalized YF-23 concept. But 1 thing for sure, to achieve low speed stability & maneuverability suited for carrier landing, the design of J-35 would slow down its top speed to just mach 1.8, 2.1 or 2.2 sacrificing aerodynamic.

The J-20B and later J-20C will be more advanced than J-35.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom