What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

What is role of j20? To shoot off missiles and kill support aircraft?

If so why need canards, tvc, and good maneuverability? Just to evade missiles and run away?

For such a role why not use unmanned fighter? Perhaps even suicide drone to deliver AA missiles.
J-20 is primarily an air superiority platform.

Today's article on www.81.cn

In the hands of a pilot with about 100 hours flight time on a "new modified fighter jet", he scored a zero to 17 air-to-air fights in his favour. This "new fighter jet" is obviously a J20 judged by the 0 to 17 score.

Also amazing is that the pilot has only about 100 flight hours on this jet, shows easy integration between pilot and aircraft.

I find the description "新型改装战机" (a new modified fighter jet) interesting, does it referred to a J20 with new engine?

“截获目标!”“发射!”烈日当空,一场空中对抗激战正酣。东部战区空军航空兵某旅“王海大队”年轻飞行员陈鑫浩,面对来自不同方向多批“敌机”的拦截,与战友灵活协同、勇敢出击,在兵力明显处于劣势的情况下,以“零损伤”的代价一举“击落敌机”17架。

“你很难想到,陈鑫浩驾驭这款新型改装战机飞行时间刚过100小时。这种情形,与抗美援朝战场上的空战情形何其相似。尽管跨越历史的天空,但咱们飞行员骨子里的胜战精神仍然充盈如初:闻战则喜、英勇顽强、敢打必胜、有我无敌!”“王海大队”大队长杨俊成说。

View attachment 669674

But the canopy already changed twice during the J-20's development phase, I think it is fine as it is .. and the FC-31 did not change the outline, but only how much of the canopy opens.

Right, then current canopy design stays

The J-20 canopy also changed, first from the 2001/2002 demonstrators to the 2011 prototype, and then again from the 2011 prototype to the LRIP models. But what does the canopy have to do with switching an engine though? IMO the canopy is already ideal.

Noted. Changes mostly related to WS15 fittings and depends on what this powerful engine could do to aerodyamic, stealth, internal bay load.

@Deino @IblinI @LKJ86
Can J-20 carry ALCM and bombs in it's internal bay?

Laser or GPS guided bombs probably, air to ground missiles possible. ALCM is too big to fit as standard ALCM size is 17 feet or longer with wide diameter therefore no.

WS-15 engine when perfected will probably be fitted in larger long range stealth heavy fighter bomber that might carry ALCM as PLAAF has plan to have such aircraft with range of over 4000 miles to attack targets over Pacific Ocean.

What is role of j20? To shoot off missiles and kill support aircraft?

If so why need canards, tvc, and good maneuverability? Just to evade missiles and run away?

For such a role why not use unmanned fighter? Perhaps even suicide drone to deliver AA missiles.

Never put 100% trust on drones alone. Fighters flown by pilots are expected to face enemy fighters and missiles threat in visual range engagement especially. Also US is developing AI fighter drone that will pose serious threat to J-20. The latest US test, the AI defeated US top pilots in dogfight. Imagine such AI is implemented on stealth X-47, the J-20B would need everything it got to face the x-47 that could turn tighter without worry on G-effect.

No potential export customers for now ... it isn't even cleared for export and probably won't be for this entire decade.

I remember a few years ago, that list of countries mentioned by that other member in his post came out but I don't think most people in the know-how or whom followed the development of the J-20 up to that point and were aware of China's extent of exporting its aircraft believed that there was any truth to that.

And at first when I read your comment about not even for this entire decade, I thought that might be a bit of an exaggeration but then after giving it some thought, I think you're probably correct on that as well. It seems like the J-20 is really designed for China's landscape defense. It's size correlates to the massive landscape of China and it makes more sense that it was designed and engineered to really satisfy the entire defensive needs of China and only China. I don't think they had any exporting aspirations in its creation from the begining.

Never put 100% trust on drones alone. Fighters flown by pilots are expected to face enemy fighters and missiles threat in visual range engagement especially. Also US is developing AI fighter drone that will pose serious threat to J-20. The latest US test, the AI defeated US top pilots in dogfight. Imagine such AI is implemented on stealth X-47, the J-20B would need everything it got to face the x-47 that could turn tighter without worry on G-effect.

I think china can probably do better than j20, maybe stall till next generation?

I think china can probably do better than j20, maybe stall till next generation?
The J-20 is the best aircraft possible to meet China's 5th generation requirements ... this was why it was chosen as the PLAAF fifth generation fighter back in 2007, because it not only met all the design requirements but also exceeded them.

Right now China focus is on perfecting the WS15, come up with navalized J-35 and put the Type 003 into active service to protect China shores and seas engaging enemies beyond missiles effective range.

The large heavy fighter bomber is latter project. In future, medium & long range stealth bombers (known as heavy fighter bomber) will be fitted with AESA radar carrying air to air missiles, air to ground and ALCM for intercontinental warfare. US FB-22/23, B-1R is part of such project and China is getting into such race trying to be ahead of US.

Stealth bomber B-2 without air to air capability is defenseless left at mercy of enemy fighters if spotted by satellite. Even old Mig-21 could take sweet time to intercept scaring the B-2 pilot forcing him to land if doesn't want to try the 23mm rounds

Why j20 need those ventral fins
A very good answer.

Why does the J-20 need two ventral fins even though Russian and US stealth fighters like the Su-57 PAK FA, F-22, and F-35 do not?

I’m assuming you mean those small ones at the rear.

Ventral fins like those ones are usually implemented because of one of several reasons.

First is that it can potentially yield an improvement in turbulent airflow, potentially increasing back pressure. This lowers drag overall, and helps increase speed slightly.

The second reason is that they can alter airflow, potentially improving tail control authority and efficiency, mostly in the pitch axis.

The third reason they might be installed is the aircraft is simply too stable. In these cases, it’s because the jet suffer’s from rolling difficulties. It’s used to help boost agility.

The final reason a jet might have them is that the jet is too unstable, particularly with it’s yaw. It’s done as way of improving stability, and allowing the jet to be more easily kept flying in a straight line.

All in all, I would say that reason four might be the most likely one. The J-20’s a very unstable design to begin with, thanks to it’s canard delta configuration.

Stealth aircraft also tend to benefit from minimizing control surface movements during flight, since this mitigates changes in their planform alignment. So, an airframe with a very low degree of yaw stability runs into a number of challenges in staying stealthy. Adding ventral fins help to mitigate this yaw instability, improving stealth. The fact that the ventral fins are also placed at the same angle as the dorsal fin on the opposing side means that they maintain planform alignment for the airframe.

Overall, they likely help deal with a high degree of existing yaw instability, and improve stealth as a result of correcting this issue.
Yaw instability has not been a major problem in previous stealth designs, though nobody has attempted to build a stealth fighter that relies on a canard delta configuration either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom