What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

May be it is my eyes, I hardly can read any poster's name, the font colors are too dark.

The forum still looks buggy and is quite glitchy compared to SDF and other Defencetalk forums. And it appears they removed all the reaction score for everyone (everyone's score are now back to near 0) and the positive/negative ratings are completely gone. The flags seem very out of place too.

Now users can give positive or negative ratings.

Also the J-10 show for vectoring is not equal to Mig-29 vectoring demonstration or early Su-27 modification demonstrations. Those Russian have different methods due to sales purpose. Those demonstrations were never fully developed. J-10 vector was showing old piece when J-10B frame is standard production at Chengdu. So they showed their step 3 out of step 10 for example and step 10 is for mass production standard. Step 3 is proven to work for public show and low chance of problem. Step 10 is secret and won't show for another few years at least. By that time some other things are at step 10 in development chain.

Russian show step 1 once it is proven to find some customers but notice Mig-35 can be ordered with vector engine after many years from step 1 and standard order does not include it. If you talk to them seriously, they may even tell you quietly why they don't recommend you buy the vectoring type. Su-35 and Su-57 vectoring engines are different and very important to Russia itself and these are much more developed programs. Even with Su-57 first batch engines they are similar to the Su-35 ones and not full 3D just V shaped angles. Although these are fully developed product.

Russian TVC working fine on export market. My country SU-30MK comes with forward canard & TVC proven well against smaller nimble fighters such as F/A-18, F-16, Mig-29 that don't come with TVC. If you're into cost saving and confident that your fighters won't get into dogfight much, then you can choose to take the SU-30MK without forward canard and TVC requiring less maintenance yet enjoy faster top speed & better cruising range.

For China & Russia, they knew the only way to shoot down US stealth fighters is to get into visual range with missiles effective range unknown. Might need to switch to guns if missiles not acquiring lock. That's why J-20 needed TVC.

May be it is my eyes, I hardly can read any poster's name, the font colors are too dark.
Same as you. Appearance-wise I like more the previous board software, the old readability is better, clearer. Old layout is simpler thus better. Wonder what's the improvement this new board software has.

//EDIT: Just found out that the "Like" button now carries more emphasis options from Like, Love, Wow to the negative ones: sad, Angry. Just hover the mouse to the "Like" to see the choices

Last edited:
The latest issue of ordnance industry science and tech told that there are more than 50 J-20 has already produced by CAC, and China will produce 200 to 300 J-20B that entered production this year.
214627d9l9wjzxh3cvwjy9.jpg

214607s9w64lrra0y0giy4.jpg

214603thww7wbli7lbn7oh.jpg

The latest issue of ordnance industry science and tech told that there are more than 50 J-20 has already produced by CAC, and China will produce 200 to 300 J-20B that entered production this year.View attachment 663401
View attachment 663402
View attachment 663403
If I'm reading this section correctly, it says the WS-10's (most likely the WS-10B) design was finalized in 2015 has a thrust of approximately 14 tonnes, uses third generation single crystal superalloys and P/M disks, and has FADEC. So good confirmation on the WS-10 specs, although I'm pleasantly surprised its using 3rd generation superalloys (e.g. DD9, DD10) as opposed to the 2nd generation materials we've been hearing about (e.g. DD6).
Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 4.25.17 PM.png

The latest issue of ordnance industry science and tech told that there are more than 50 J-20 has already produced by CAC, and China will produce 200 to 300 J-20B that entered production this year.View attachment 663401
View attachment 663402
View attachment 663403

so is this "ordnance industry science and tech" an official magazine? or is it at least semi official? does it have any connection to the government? or is it just a collection of analysts that have zero access to China's current military?

so is this "ordnance industry science and tech" an official magazine? or is it at least semi official? does it have any connection to the government? or is it just a collection of analysts that have zero access to China's current military?
From what I've been reading around, it is pretty official/reliable. Its word should not be taken lightly.

Edit: Ppl on SDF said it quoted SCMP so I'm not sure of the credibility anymore :(.

Last edited:

This magainze is listed in "China core journal database" and "Chinese-language Science Journal database", both are administrated by depart of Science and Tech in China, and the magazine itself is an offspring to the committe of Science and Technology in Shanxi, China.

I believe it contain more officiality or authority than random "analysts" in PDF, especially these who barely read or speak Chinese.

This magainze is listed in "China core journal database" and "Chinese-language Science Journal database", both are administrated by depart of Science and Tech in China, and the magazine itself is an offspring to the committe of Science and Technology in Shanxi, China.

I believe it contain more officiality or authority than random "analysts" in PDF, especially these who barely read or speak Chinese.
It clearly stated in the very beginning of the article: according to SCMP and foreign media reports....

It clearly stated in the very beginning of the article: according to SCMP and foreign media reports....

Read again.

They cited SCMP in the first sentence on the news that J-20B will about to enter production phase, the following are another source.

Read again.

They cited SCMP in the first sentence on the news that J-20B will about to enter production phase, the following are another source.
Yes, that's what I trying to say: it's source is SCMP and foreigner medias...
This magazine didn't give new info neither confirming those info

you will never find certatinty in these kind of magazine, all quoting foreign news and mixed with some anaylst.

Yes, that's what I trying to say: it's source is SCMP and foreigner medias...
This magazine didn't give new info neither confirming those info

Where did they say the source is foreign media in that line? don't put your words into their mouth.

Back
Top Bottom