What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Why only 20? The J-20 has been in production since March 2017 ... that's nearly 2 years!

Have you seen more? I know my calculation is most likely - and indeed I even hope so - on the lowest end of any estimation, but as I explained, these are the ones confirmed. Even if we assume both the 176. and 172. Brigades would probably have around 8-12 aircraft each - what is not confirmed - and maybe the 9. Brigade already has 4, then we are still at only 24-28 and NEVER EVER 60+.

So - similar to these stupid claims the J-20 already uses a +240kN WS-15, is Mach 3 capable and even more nonsense, - a claim there are already more 60 operational must be at least baked by some facts or an estimation.

Otherwise such posts are nothing but pointless, meaningless or simply trolling.

I'm a bit conflicted about this. On the one hand, I want China to have as many fifth-gens as possible; on the other, I feel it would be a wasted investment if China ramped up production without having the WS-15 ready. Is it feasible to retrofit 100+ AL-31/WS-10 J-20s with WS-15s?

Completely agree ... even more: Is there any reason - besides wishful thinking - that there are already that many??

===

NOTE:
Deino, you force me to post this here, because you ignored or
you have refused to answer my PM.

===

People are not blind.
All PDF readers can watch how biased and onesided you are as a
Germanese Internationally Famous Powerful Moderators ??

Deino, what about that Trolls SME11B ??

Are you certain that you as an Internationally Famous Powerful
Moderators are acting FAIR and JUST ??

Or are you sneakily allowing SME11B to always get away unpunished for
always derailing the CHN Military threads time and time again ??

===

NOTE:
BTW, Deino despite all CHN impressive military progresses over the last 20 years,
don't worry CHN is very weak and gutless.

CHN Elites are internally extremely weak and gutless in using
all those military hardware PLA have developed.

What seems to be the problem with what I said? I responded to an earlier post and thought I did a good job, if it was slightly off topic oh well it was not completely off topic.

Do you have any idea how fast China is? 10 times faster than America.
By your logic I think there are 1000 j-20s in a secret underground superbase because dear leader Xi is so awesome. If china was 10 times faster why are they just now getting tech that the US has had for decades? Some people don't care to live in reality. They have rushed j-20 along as much as possible but they want to put out the best quality product they can because mass produced crap jets won't win the next war. They have 28 j-20s including prototypes with at least unfinished engines which will take years to remedy. That is the general consensus and I have never seen more than 4 in one spot, never seen anything suggesting they are operational in the western standard or have left chinese airspace. And I don't mean claimed airspace since ancient times. The chinese don't put out much info and I find the fanboys claims endearing when not annoying. Am I the only one who thinks the j-20 is kind of ugly? F-35 used to be the ugliest of the proposed 5 gens but I think j-20 has taken that spot.

F-35 used to be the ugliest of the proposed 5 gens but I think j-20 has taken that spot.
Is this really what you think or are you just salty over @undertakerwwefan's response? If it is the former, let me remind you that the A-10 is no princess either but it is still one hell of a killing machine.

I'm a bit conflicted about this. On the one hand, I want China to have as many fifth-gens as possible; on the other, I feel it would be a wasted investment if China ramped up production without having the WS-15 ready. Is it feasible to retrofit 100+ AL-31/WS-10 J-20s with WS-15s?
Good point. I don't think China can retrofit the older J-20s with WS-15 due to the likely inlet and internal changes.

@Deino look at this troll by @SME11B

Not a troll, just an opinion you don't like.

Is this really what you think or are you just salty over @undertakerwwefan's response? If it is the former, let me remind you that the A-10 is no princess either but it is still one hell of a killing machine.

Good point. I don't think China can retrofit the older J-20s with WS-15 due to the likely inlet and internal changes.
Why would I care what that 12 year old says? Even most on this forum see his posts are a joke. The a-10 is certainly ugly but the sound that gun makes is awesome. Also traditionally in the looks department close air support aircraft are not scrutinized as much on looks but that's been military aircraft enthusiast culture for as long as I can remember. I remember many times the looks of the other jets compared but I haven't seen it with j-20 so I brought it up. Also isn't ws-15 significantly larger than ws-10? Will that require airframe modifications to accommodate?

I don't think China can retrofit the older J-20s with WS-15 due to the likely inlet and internal changes.
I wouldn't foreclose on the possibility - it would depend on how modular the J-20 is. Let's remember that it was designed from the get-go with the knowledge that the intended engine wouldn't be ready with the airframe, which argues for at least some thought given to retrofitting.

The DSI will surely need to be changed, the WS-15 will certainly require a higher airflow than the WS-10 (in fact, I think DSIs on earlier prototypes were smaller). As far as the internals, according to this thread the WS-10 variant being trialed on the J-20 is the WS-10B (originally developed for the J-10) with the gearbox and other protrusions pushed out to occupy the volume of the J-20's engine housing; further evidence for the feasibility of retrofitting.

Last edited:
Not a troll, just an opinion you don't like.
Yes you're trolling if you don't like j-20 don't say the bad word for J-20 or i will report you @SME11B
Why would I care what that 12 year old says? Even most on this forum see his posts are a joke. The a-10 is certainly ugly but the sound that gun makes is awesome. Also traditionally in the looks department close air support aircraft are not scrutinized as much on looks but that's been military aircraft enthusiast culture for as long as I can remember. I remember many times the looks of the other jets compared but I haven't seen it with j-20 so I brought it up. Also isn't ws-15 significantly larger than ws-10? Will that require airframe modifications to accommodate?
Fighter jet is not build for aesthetic/look/beauty but design upon mission perspective that's @Figaro bro refer to don't look at the aesthetic/look/beauty of the j-20 but performance of j-20,just like A-10 and by the way J-20 isn't A bad looking jet but beauty and the beast @SME11B

Yes you're trolling if you don't like j-20 don't say the bad word for J-20 or i will report you @SME11B

Fighter jet is not build for aesthetic/look/beauty but design upon mission perspective that's @Figaro bro refer to don't look at the aesthetic/look/beauty of the j-20 but performance of j-20,just like A-10 and by the way J-20 isn't A bad looking jet but beauty and the beast @SME11B

I agree with you. If @SME11B doesn't like J-20, why is he coming here? And further more, what is the benefit of reading his bad words about J-20? Is he looking for troll fight or what?

Last edited:
@Deino look at this troll by @SME11B

Just to make it clear, I won't ban anyone for posting an opinion that does not fit anyone else's opinion and Yes, IMO he often is too critical, but at least he argues.

Posting however stupid one-liner, without giving an explanation or a reason and doing this again and again even after a kind request, that's trolling and will result in a warning and finally ban.

Last edited:
img-fae4c3d0f8b895391c828b0615caed38.jpg

Have you seen more? I know my calculation is most likely - and indeed I even hope so - on the lowest end of any estimation, but as I explained, these are the ones confirmed. Even if we assume both the 176. and 172. Brigades would probably have around 8-12 aircraft each - what is not confirmed - and maybe the 9. Brigade already has 4, then we are still at only 24-28 and NEVER EVER 60+.

So - similar to these stupid claims the J-20 already uses a +240kN WS-15, is Mach 3 capable and even more nonsense, - a claim there are already more 60 operational must be at least baked by some facts or an estimation.

Otherwise such posts are nothing but pointless, meaningless or simply trolling.

Completely agree ... even more: Is there any reason - besides wishful thinking - that there are already that many??
pictorial evidence is also guess you are seeing what the puppet masters let you see, there are also satellites and pictures where more than 20- 30 aircraft should be seen, if satellites can not see 20- 30 aircraft, then the number is low, no pictures of 5 or 6 J-20 together the number is likely low, how many there are? no one knows, close to 90 is niether a right one nor 28 simple because the puppet masters will let you see what they want

Just to make it clear, I won't ban anyone for posting an opinion that does not fit anyone else's opinion and Yes, IMO he often is too critical, but at least he argues.

Posting however stupid one-liner, without giving an explanation or a reason and doing this again and again even after a kind request, that's trolling and will result in a warning and finally ban.
yes there was once a guy who told you China will buy Su-35 you and your friends said no, you were proven wrong in revenge you banned the guy, same was when you were proven wrong when you said Su-57 bort 05 was not going to fly again you banned the guy, some one told you do not speak Chinese, I do at least Japanese and read Chinese/Japanese ideograms you got angry and banned the guy, some one told you facts about J-20 aerodynamics but since you are a plane spotter not an aerodynamics engineer you felt angry too,since you know little about the subject, you banned the guy too, you really really are an honest guyo_O regards from MiG-29

Last edited:
There is about 18 to 20 in service according to most online people. Pace is slow because many steps are not mass production ready yet because this fighter is very new and some parts are very hard to make with high rejection rate. Also the engine is not ready until at least another three years. This suits slow production because new engine doesn't fit into old frame that uses current engines unless a lot of modifications are made.

Back
Top Bottom