What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

According to this site https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=860 J-20's operational range is roughly 3,400 kilometers just with internal fuel which is pretty good. But I thought for its size, it would've had a little bit more but maybe that's also a factor due to its size & weight & twin engines, it simply burns a lot of fuel which makes sense. Still, it seems to be the longest range out of all the 5th gens out there so far and then add those 4 massive fuel tanks and AR and the sky's the limit, literally.

According to this site https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=860 J-20's operational range is roughly 3,400 kilometers just with internal fuel which is pretty good. But I thought for its size, it would've had a little bit more but maybe that's also a factor due to its size & weight & twin engines, it simply burns a lot of fuel which makes sense. Still, it seems to be the longest range out of all the 5th gens out there so far and then add those 4 massive fuel tanks and AR and the sky's the limit, literally.

J-20 is the same as flanker, isn't it? if we talk about engine.

Nope, just engine. Until WS-15 ready, J-20 has the engine as flanker. Whatever it is AL-31 series or WS-10 one
Nope its stop gap engine, not build for J-20 hence with AL-31 series or WS-10 J-20 has a low T/W ratio , so it has less range, just like Su-57 has a interim engine (AL-41F) @Brainsucker

Nope its stop gap engine, not build for J-20 hence with AL-31 series or WS-10 J-20 has a low T/W ratio , so it has less range, just like Su-57 has a interim engine (AL-41F) @Brainsucker

I write "Until WS-15 ready". Did you read it? What is the different between that and "Stop Gap Engine"? I'm not an expert in English, my grammar is clumsy. But at least I know that both have the same meaning. At least the same context.

I write "Until WS-15 ready". Did you read it? What is the different between that and "Stop Gap Engine"? I'm not an expert in English, my grammar is clumsy. But at least I know that both have the same meaning.
Meaning main engine (WS-15) is not installed currently (AL-31) engine (STOP GAP) is currently installed which is not build for J-20 specifically @Brainsucker

img-077ab009881dba579b6e483b6cfd5b94.jpg
img-65eb006a37e0c0bbb166218aa713ab99.jpg
img-b74b4d88adbb83837f4559d487ab1f45.jpg
img-3df75bac112fa0713832516af195818e.jpg
img-8c12b3cd16b6ea1de9f8b03f4bed64e6.jpg

J-20 is the same as flanker, isn't it? if we talk about engine.

So you bring up a good point which is essentially that the aircraft is not producing close to it's projected capability considering the engines make up an overwhelming percentage of the value and caps of a 5th gen. aircraft. This is essentially the same problem plaguing the Su-57 when you really stop and think about it from an objective standpoint. If the Su-57 is held to a standard, that it's far behind and a huge reason is the engines, then the same should be applied to the J-20. Still a long ways to go to become a true 5th gen aircraft. This is not to take anything away from the J-20, but let the race for the final engine to be successfully operational first before claiming operational values. All these J-20's flying around, are essentially still prototypes just like the Su-57.

Add weapon's testing. Same exact thing. We haven't seen diddly from either yet so how do we know that one is ahead of the other, wouldn't you agree??

There is no reliable info that I am aware of.

Well we do have enough information from the current power plants and other factors of similarities to other aircraft to make very close final numbers which will be pretty good when the new engines are finished to compare and see how much of an improvement there is. If the current engines are producing less TtW ratio and the new ones will be greater and especially with cruise control, that will be a remarkable difference in not only speed, but operational range and fuel efficiency.

So you bring up a good point which is essentially that the aircraft is not producing close to it's projected capability considering the engines make up an overwhelming percentage of the value and caps of a 5th gen. aircraft. This is essentially the same problem plaguing the Su-57 when you really stop and think about it from an objective standpoint. If the Su-57 is held to a standard, that it's far behind and a huge reason is the engines, then the same should be applied to the J-20. Still a long ways to go to become a true 5th gen aircraft. This is not to take anything away from the J-20, but let the race for the final engine to be successfully operational first before claiming operational values. All these J-20's flying around, are essentially still prototypes just like the Su-57.

Add weapon's testing. Same exact thing. We haven't seen diddly from either yet so how do we know that one is ahead of the other, wouldn't you agree??

Well we do have enough information from the current power plants and other factors of similarities to other aircraft to make very close final numbers which will be pretty good when the new engines are finished to compare and see how much of an improvement there is. If the current engines are producing less TtW ratio and the new ones will be greater and especially with cruise control, that will be a remarkable difference in not only speed, but operational range and fuel efficiency.

Engine do not make up a large value of a 5th gen. F-35 without supercruise, great thrust to weight ratio is still considered a true 5th gen.... Stealth is top priority with significant amount of RCS reduction. Su-57 failed not becos of engine but Russian not able to catch up in avionics ,newest material, newest design concept. Russian industries as a whole is not ready for 5th gen fighter. If you think Russian industries is still some awesome and superpower. Tell me, how many modern destroyer has Russian commissioned since the collapse of Soviet union? Nope.. They even need to ask France to build a modern of LHD for them which is unheard of during Soviet times.

Trying to compare Su-57 with J-20 is absolutely a wrong comparison.

Engine do not make up a large value of a 5th gen. F-35 without supercruise, great thrust to weight ratio is still considered a true 5th gen.... Stealth is top priority with significant amount of RCS reduction. Su-57 failed not becos of engine but Russian not able to catch up in avionics ,newest material, newest design concept. Russian industries as a whole is not ready for 5th gen fighter. If you think Russian industries is still some awesome and superpower. Tell me, how many modern destroyer has Russian commissioned since the collapse of Soviet union? Nope.. They even need to ask France to build a modern of LHD for them which is unheard of during Soviet times.

J-20 is in mass-production already, and it means a lot.

No one knows what will happen to Su-57 in the future.

The mass production of F-35 also helps validate the J-20 design, which is, yes, stealth first.

Back
Top Bottom