What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

I don't think so.
Its your first attempt to produce F-22 class engine and you're still struggling for quality problem with your WS-10, you have no vast experience to build descent high performance engine from scratch your first attempt is WS-10, second WS-13 which is still development phase, third WS-15, so when you predict that WS-15 will be fit on J-20 @LKJ86 :angel:

Not before 2023 @Figaro :p:;):enjoy:
Why would flight testing be before 2023 ... there have been consistent developments indicating a flight testing of around 2019 to 2020

Its your first attempt to produce F-22 class engine and you're still struggling for quality problem with your WS-10, you have no vast experience to build descent high performance engine from scratch your first attempt is WS-10, second WS-13 which is still development phase, third WS-15, so when you predict that WS-15 will be fit on J-20 @LKJ86 :angel:
What quality problems are you talking about exactly? The latest WS-10 variants have already surpassed the AL-31F in reliability and MTBF. Also keep in mind Chinese metallurgy has improved very significantly over the past few years. And you have to remember the WS-10 has many of its problems due to the fact it was based on a civilian engine core ... the WS-15 is a completely clean sheet design. WS-13 is currently much lower priority than either WS-10 or WS-15.

Why would flight testing be before 2023 ... there have been consistent developments indicating a flight testing of around 2019 to 2020

What quality problems are you talking about exactly? The latest WS-10 variants have already surpassed the AL-31F in reliability and MTBF. And you have to remember the WS-10 has many of its problems due to the fact it was based on a civilian engine core ... the WS-15 is a completely clean sheet design.
Its your first attempt to produce F-22 class engine and you're still struggling for quality problem with your WS-10, you have no vast experience to build descent high performance engine from scratch your first attempt is WS-10, second WS-13 which is still development phase, third WS-15, so when you predict that WS-15 will be fit on J-20 @Figaro :angel:

What quality problems are you talking about exactly? The latest WS-10 variants have already surpassed the AL-31F in reliability and MTBF. Also keep in mind Chinese metallurgy has improved very significantly over the past few years. And you have to remember the WS-10 has many of its problems due to the fact it was based on a civilian engine core ... the WS-15 is a completely clean sheet design. WS-13 is currently much lower priority than either WS-10 or WS-15.
no vast experience to build descent high performance engine from scratch in the class of F-22's engine F-119, so its safe to assume that WS-15 takes little more time to be matured because this is their first attempt to develop F-119 class engine @Figaro :angel:

Its your first attempt to produce F-22 class engine and you're still struggling for quality problem with your WS-10, you have no vast experience to build descent high performance engine from scratch your first attempt is WS-10, second WS-13 which is still development phase, third WS-15, so when you predict that WS-15 will be fit on J-20 @Figaro :angel:

no vast experience to build descent high performance engine from scratch in the class of F-22's engine F-119, so its safe to assume that WS-15 takes little more time to be matured because this is their first attempt to develop F-119 class engine @Figaro :angel:
Protip: Writing in caps and using "descent" instead of "decent" doesn't make your "point" any more correct, it just makes you look like an idiot. Once upon a time the US also had no vast experience to build descent [sic] high performance engine from scratch until it did. What evidence do you have that China doesn't have the requisite expertise to put together a prototype ready for testing in 2019-2020, if not sooner? Especially when a senior engineer has publicly stated that IOC will be achieved within 3 to 5 years?

Protip: Writing in caps and using "descent" instead of "decent" doesn't make your "point" any more correct, it just makes you look like an idiot. Once upon a time the US also had no vast experience to build descent [sic] high performance engine from scratch until it did. What evidence do you have that China doesn't have the requisite expertise to put together a prototype ready for testing in 2019-2020, if not sooner? Especially when a senior engineer has publicly stated that IOC will be achieved within 3 to 5 years?
When its claiming that IOC will achieved in 2019-2020 @ZeEa5KPul o_O if IOC achieved in lets say 2019 that its doesn't means that it will fit directly into J-20 but first ground test and air testing with IL-76 test-bed which takes 3 -4 year to complete @ZeEa5KPul :p:;):D

When its claiming that IOC will achieved in 2019-2020 @ZeEa5KPul o_O
Read what I wrote more carefully. I didn't claim IOC would be in 2019-2020, I claimed flight tests on a J-20 would occur during this time. IOC (more accurately, design certification) within 3-5 years means IOC in 2021-2023. My source for that is this:
https://new.qq.com/omn/20180711/20180711A1307Z.html
Just in case you're wondering who Liu Daxiang is: http://ev.buaa.edu.cn/info/1056/1333.htm
There's also OedoSoldier's (a fairly reliable PLA observer) tweet from August that states a J-20 will be flight-testing a WS-15 prototype "soon":

US also had zero experience building rocket that can put man on moon. Until it did manage it successfully without failure on the first go. All the time, people can do this. What is important is all the smaller details and working culture, structure, and planning. WS-15 can or cannot be brought out for J-20 tests in 2019 or 2020 depends on these details. Does not depend at all on whether China has ever done something like this before. Very stupid thinking with so much evidence proving the exception like Saturn V rocket and I'm sure thousands more.

Read what I wrote more carefully. I didn't claim IOC would be in 2019-2020, I claimed flight tests on a J-20 would occur during this time. IOC (more accurately, design certification) within 3-5 years means IOC in 2021-2023. My source for that is this:
https://new.qq.com/omn/20180711/20180711A1307Z.html
Just in case you're wondering who Liu Daxiang is: http://ev.buaa.edu.cn/info/1056/1333.htm
There's also OedoSoldier's (a fairly reliable PLA observer) tweet from August that states a J-20 will be flight-testing a WS-15 prototype "soon":
I am thinking same first ground test will starts then air testing starts which takes 3-4 year to complete this means WS-15 will be ready in 2021-2023 time frame @ZeEa5KPul :angel:

WS-15 will be flight tested soon

But that's exactly the question and if you look how much over-interpret some these recent H-20 rumours it might appear "soon" it's always the question how "soon" is "soon".

IMO we are still a few years away from the definitive WS-15-powered variant in operational service, I'm even sceptical - more than you - that we might see a WS-15-powered prototype/-demonstrator soon, and I have the feeling your soon is more within "next" year, whereas my feeling of "soon" says me at best in 2020-2022.
Consequently I expect the first serial WS-10X-powered J-20As next year and.

Anyway, we are in interesting times ... and time will tell.

1. WS-10 and WS-15 are large thrust turbofan engines, while WS-13 and WS-19 are middle thrust turbofan engines.
2. WS-10 and WS-13 are almost mature, and just their upgraded versions are in development.
3. The development of WS-15 has nothing to do with WS-13.
4. WS-15 needs more time to be mature and in mass-production, but will take flight tests soon.

1. WS-10 and WS-15 are large thrust turbofan engines, while WS-13 and WS-19 are middle thrust turbofan engines.
2. WS-10 and WS-13 are almost mature, and just their upgraded versions are in development.
3. The development of WS-15 has nothing to do with WS-13.
4. WS-15 needs more time to be mature and in mass-production, but will take flight tests soon.
as you says it will take time to be matured flight tests soon in only test-bed that's what is i'm talking about but other on this forum don't agree on this they are expecting that WS-15 will be fitted on J-20 within a year or two @LKJ86 bro:angel:

as you says it will take time to be matured flight tests soon in only test-bed that's what is i'm talking about but other on this forum don't agree on this they are expecting that WS-15 will be fitted on J-20 within a year or two @LKJ86 bro:angel:
On Zhuhai Airshow-2014, FC-31 V1 had one WS-13 already.
It is not surprise for J-20 to take one WS-15 for its test flights.

Back
Top Bottom