What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

img-1227ff11625e1063b8df0a27f131e7f2.jpg
img-58629ce6ecb4e87ec47c5ce3f53fd2e5.jpg
img-e1fb8bf05b5abf7a0809c3e9122f80de.jpg

Those are some amazingly clear shots, something that is getting to be more prevalent than it's ever been.

China is giving us increasingly better views of their top fighter design which are helping to answer some important capability questions.

Indeed. Not only are we starting to see many more photos, but much clearer views or every aspect of the aircraft.

The J-20's large Diverterless Supersonic Inlet (DSI) is shown in great detail as well, including various porous panels that also help separate turbulent boundary layer air from its skin—a process required to feed its engines with stable airflow throughout its flight envelope.

It looks like they're still testing a few different materials on the divertless intakes. Something to take a close look at with these primed aircraft once they're painted and see if those div intakes have different finishes.

Now, after years of avionics development, which has included the use of a specialized flying avionics laboratory, a real chin-mounted electro-optical capability looks to have become operational on China's growing J-20 force, and the PLAAF is more willing to show it off in pictures. Remember, very little actually leaks out of China in regards to sensitive weapon systems without the government allowing it. In other words, they let us see what they want us to see.

That's very true, but that gold reflection is genius since it doesn't allow us to see what's inside.

Many have posited that this enclosure is intended to house an analog to the F-35's Electro-Optical Targeting System (EOTS). But based on these images, it seems to have a far more limited purpose.

The same one? lol. While I don't think it's the same one (but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a Chinese imitation of one), but I also don't think it's purpose is far more limited than that of the F-35's.

Yet what's most impressive is that China has leapfrogged Russia when it comes to advanced fighter aircraft design in most respects. And by many indications, that disparity will continue to widen with each passing day as the J-20 fleet grows and evolves while Russia's Su-57 program stagnates towards irrelevance.

We've been amazed at what China has done for quite sometime, now. But it is sad to see what is happening with the Russian program, very sad. Competition is only good for everyone, so there really is no benefit to anyone that the Russian program is somewhat stalled TBH.

The nemesis of the stealth fighter?
China's new materials will increase the radar detection range by 50 times

That was an excellent read. Thank you for posting it.

F-22 is not that small after all...

It's certainly not. While I have not seen the J-20 first hand, I've seen the F-22 several times as well as the F-35 and if those side-by-side illustrations are accurate to some extent, the J-20 is a massive bird.

It's certainly not. While I have not seen the J-20 first hand, I've seen the F-22 several times as well as the F-35 and if those side-by-side illustrations are accurate to some extent, the J-20 is a massive bird.
I think its little bigger from F-22 might be 5 -7 feet extra long (F-22 62 feet long), (Su-57 65 feet long), (J-20 67-69 feet long) @Gomig-21 :angel:

I think its little bigger from F-22 might be 5 -7 feet extra long (F-22 62 feet long), (Su-57 65 feet long), (J-20 67-69 feet long) @Gomig-21 :angel:

Yep, you are right @pakistanipower :-) It kinda defies logic in terms of stealth and of course this concept is not relegated to just the J-20, but the F-22 and Su-57 as well. Proves the fact that size does not matter as much as shape and technology.

Yep, you are right @pakistanipower :-) It kinda defies logic in terms of stealth and of course this concept is not relegated to just the J-20, but the F-22 and Su-57 as well. Proves the fact that size does not matter as much as shape and technology.
one part on missing on J-20, This is WS-15, now let wait and see that WS-15 what type of nozzles it will have either flat type LOAN nozzles that F-22 have or serrated one just like F-35 have @Gomig-21 :-):angel:

Back
Top Bottom