What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Wah! That's pretty harsh, ma man. :-)

I think the Russians felt the pressure to keep up with the US when they designed the PAK-FA and didn't take certain R&D procedures into consideration, or might have even bypassed them for the sake of timing and figured they would get back to addressing them once prototypes were built. I think that was the flaw in the way they approached the Su-57 and now they're dealing with ways to circumvent some of those shortcomings that they knew they were going to run into. Plasma cloud technologies and crazy things of that sort were all just shortcuts to a slightly premature design that while not necessarily bad in frontal and side shaping, the underside seems to be its biggest problem area. The rivets are hardly an issue with tape and RAM which all use, it's too many 90 degree corners, especially between the hanging engine nacelles and the belly where the weapons bays are.

But what was said about the v-stabs on the PAK-FA applies just the same on the J-20 because of them being all-movable surfaces, instead of fixed V-stabs with separate rudders. However, first thing I thought of was how the YF-23 was supposedly stealthier than the YF-22 and it had all-movable stabilators which must have seams/gaps in order to function and rotate. So I don't think that was a particularly fair criticism of the Su-57 or the J-20.

YF-23%2Btail.jpg

But I hope you fellas don't get too bent out of shape when someone disagrees or offers a contrarian view. But just because the F-22 came out in what, 1996? That certainly doesn't mean it's a museum relic as far as its avionics compared to the J-20. That's a bit biased to be perfectly honest with you. One thing you might not be factoring is the immense head start AND experience the US has over everyone in all major aspects of aviation and technology as well as their abilities to constantly upgrade. If one is to be objective, one MUST take these things into consideration.

There's also other major factors that are associated with the overall prowess of a 5th generation aircraft and that is the engines. I don't think that anyone of us here are in any disagreement that the US makes the best military aircraft engines and has been for a long time. The P&W F119 engines on the Raptor are a huge part of its combat performance capabilities.

And BTW, the F-22 is getting a complete revamp of its glass cockpit and avionics that includes AI etc..
https://www.themaven.net/warriormav...ors-radar-avionics-ai-BMw9vbS3xk2dymJlS4PW2g/
By 2060, or even decades before this year, planes that are designed without consideration for newer anti-stealth countermeasures such as the F22 and J20 would become totally obsolete. China has been working on a clandestine satellite that can detect stealth aircraft for some time now. Also quantum and gravitational radars are being developed as we speak. Unless one can find a way to bend space time, stealth planes won’t be stealthy at all in the future.

By 2060, or even decades before this year, planes that are designed without consideration for newer anti-stealth countermeasures such as the F22 and J20 would become totally obsolete. China has been working on a clandestine satellite that can detect stealth aircraft for some time now. Also quantum and gravitational radars are being developed as we speak. Unless one can find a way to bend space time, stealth planes won’t be stealthy at all in the future.
But it will be very effective to beat up 2nd tier countries who cannot afford such luxuries. Major power always fight proxy war. They will avoid confrontation with each other. Using third countries as punching bag.

The current stealth technology will be obsolete. But it doesn't mean that the concept will be abandoned. There will be a new method of stealth. Whatever it is new material that we don't know yet, new shape of aircraft, new electronic warfare, etc.

Are you okay? :what::what::crazy::crazy:

That was an opinion of a typical Chinese netizen in response to a report that J-16 pilots have begun using English callsigns. This is how typical citizens of China view their military, a far cry from the atmosphere here on PDF, don't you think.

That was an opinion of a typical Chinese netizen in response to a report that J-16 pilots have begun using English callsigns.
Of course, of course, it's all part of the Coming Collapse of China.
This is how typical citizens of China view their military, a far cry from the atmosphere here on PDF, don't you think.
At some point during your education, were you taught anything about drawing a conclusion from a single data point?

Of course, of course, it's all part of the Coming Collapse of China.

At some point during your education, were you taught anything about drawing a conclusion from a single data point?

No, the only thing I was taught (and everyone here should be taught that) was the wonderful literature of Mr. Gordon Chang. Seriously, you should read what he writes.

No, the only I was taught (and everyone here should be taught that) were the wonderful works of Mr. Gordon Chang. Seriously, you should read what he writes.
Please tell me you're being sarcastic ... that idiot has been wrong for the past 25 years. I'd bet my entire savings that he's going to be wrong for the next 25 years also. He and Peter Navarro personify the epitome of American ignorance on the rise of China ... with their psuedo racist rants and doomsday scenarios.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic ... that idiot has been wrong for the past 25 years. I'd bet my entire savings that he's going to be wrong for the next 25 years also. He and Peter Navarro personify the epitome of American ignorance on the rise of China ... with their psuedo racist rants and doomsday scenarios.

The immortal legend Mr. Chang has updated his prediction. This time, he is suspecting of an eventual 1929-style market crash secondary to the continued outflow of Chinese capital and the subsequent effects on the stability of the Chinese regime - according to him, the "point of no return" has passed in 2017.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/gordon-chang-china-is-going-to-go-into-free-fall_2225666.html

I would also be careful of labeling Gordon Chang as "pseudo-racist"; his predictions may be a tad brash in the short run but his core premises are not far off from the truth.

The immortal legend Mr. Chang has updated his prediction. This time, he is suspecting of an eventual 1929-style market crash secondary to the continued outflow of Chinese capital and the subsequent effects on the stability of the Chinese regime - according to him, the "point of no return" has passed in 2017.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/gordon-chang-china-is-going-to-go-into-free-fall_2225666.html

I would also be careful of labeling Gordon Chang as "pseudo-racist"; his predictions may be a tad brash in the short run but his core premises are not far off from the truth.
Oh come on! I thought you were being overly sarcastic ... Gordon Chang is an idiot whose premises are not substantiated in the slightest way. If you've read his book, you would have noticed that every SINGLE one of his predictions turned out to be 180 degrees off. He suspected a 1929 crash back in 2001 ... and now he's suspecting another 1929 crash in 2018??? Give me a break. And for the record, the Epoch Times is not a reliable source for Chinese economics ... but as they say, haters gonna hate

And you know, you had a perfect combo of Gordon Chang wrote at the Epoch Times... It should be a reference article for every observer of the nation of China. And because the Chinese don't opt the sacred, the only correct political system of the west unlike your great country, India, their government (nope, I will still refrain myself from using the word of "regime" to describe the government of the 2nd most powerful nation on earth today) is in great risk, thus their paper-based, debt-ridden economy with so many, you know, the well-known ghost, unreclaimed build-ups!

Tip: @Akasa, you should not miss the views of Dean Cheng as well, he's another renowned expert on China! Thanks for your valuable info on the precarious condition of China's stability. What a fun reading :D It's also great to learn your true color after showing all your great curious interests all this long :enjoy: Cheers! Personally I take it as a great compliment from the greatest rivalry.

and ain'ters gonna ain't.
And jealousy is indeed killing! Yet the talk-down is quite an effective way, time-tested method! I've been observing as of 80s. [Oops, it reveals me :p:]

Last edited:

Indeed, I always applaud Gordon Chang work. Hope this time he can convince Trump to drop the tariff on China imported goods that China will collapse soon and China is a paper Tiger. Stop all the military provocation against China cos China military is so weak :enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom