What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Sorry, but where do I help them??

If then would have come for an interview, asked a few questions then You would be correct ... they however took a collection of different sources including my report from the CA (Jan. '17) and made their story.

Not sure what You now propose?? ... stop publishing so that I cannot be misquoted anymore???

And I already did post a reply on that site.
I’m suggesting sending an email or replying to them about this misuse. Since they cited you as saying something, they are dishonest through their deliberate mis-quotations. Buy as you already posted a reply to the website ... I digress. The author’s intentional manipulation with regards to your quotations shows his credibility ... zero.

Sorry, but where do I help them??

If they would have come for an interview, asked a few questions then You would be correct ... they however took a collection of different sources including my report from the CA (Jan. '17) and made their story.

Not sure what You now propose?? ... stop publishing so that I cannot be misquoted anymore???

And I already did post a reply on that site.

Speaking of interviews, how did you get one with Kyle Mizokami last year? Did he send you an email, make or phone call, or what?

Perhaps not, but the quote (especially as it appeared when USNI dishonestly truncated it) makes is sound like the J-20 is a fundamentally unsound design. Do you believe so?
No, it is not an 'unsound' design. To be 'unsound' is to be fundamentally flawed. Comparisons are not meant to point out flaws but to point out differences based upon some criteria.

For example...

A truck and an F1 racer are both motor road vehicles. The most fundamental criteria is 'Can the vehicle move ?' Of course both can. Their designs are dictated by their respective missions. One to move as fast as possible. One to transport as much cargo as possible. Neither are fundamentally 'unsound'.

Unfortunately, people took that quote out of context and they did so -- to say it kindly -- out of technical ignorance.

All surface indicators strongly hint that the J-20 is more radar observable than the F-22 and probably more than the F-35 as well. That maybe an uncomfortable opinion for the Chinese nationalists here, but that opinion is based upon science, not emotion.

Speaking of interviews, how did you get one with Kyle Mizokami last year? Did he send you an email, make or phone call, or what?

Yes indeed, he contacted me via mail and send me a detailed list of questions we later discussed. IMO a fine way to prepare a report.

No, it is not an 'unsound' design. To be 'unsound' is to be fundamentally flawed. Comparisons are not meant to point out flaws but to point out differences based upon some criteria.

For example...

A truck and an F1 racer are both motor road vehicles. The most fundamental criteria is 'Can the vehicle move ?' Of course both can. Their designs are dictated by their respective missions. One to move as fast as possible. One to transport as much cargo as possible. Neither are fundamentally 'unsound'.

Unfortunately, people took that quote out of context and they did so -- to say it kindly -- out of technical ignorance.

All surface indicators strongly hint that the J-20 is more radar observable than the F-22 and probably more than the F-35 as well. That maybe an uncomfortable opinion for the Chinese nationalists here, but that opinion is based upon science, not emotion.
Irreparable high radar observability in a stealth fighter is an unsoundness of design, there are no conditions in which this is a positive trait. Having said that, I find the criticisms of those who "point out flaws" in the J-20 unconvincing, and "nationalism" has nothing to do with it:

1) The canard argument is very poor. It's no more observable in neutral configuration than any other control surface (certainly no more observable than the F-22's main wing). While it is more observable when its tilted to present to a radar, the entire airplane is tilted toward the radar during a manoeuvre -- that's the case whether the control surface is in the front (as in the J-20) or the back (as in the F-22). In both cases, the radar will catch a glint as the plane turns.

There might be an argument to be made about the canards' dihedral, but I have every confidence that the J-20's designers considered the effects on observability and chose the angle very carefully.

2) I buy the argument that LOAN's are less stealthy than square nozzles and both are far superior to round nozzles, so in this regard I can accept that the F-22 has one over the J-20. But I don't see why the J-20 should be inferior to the F-35 from the rear. The USAF is very pleased with the F-35, so I have no reason to think that the rearward observability of a LOAN is a cause for concern.

3) The strakes are (counter)planform aligned with the v-tails. That fact should caution people against counting them as "extra surfaces."

4) Coatings I have no comment on. I have no idea what the US or China uses for coatings.

Having said that, even if the J-20 is poorer than the F-22 or F-35 in stealth, no one -- to the best of my knowledge -- has publicly quantified how much poorer. If a radar can pick up an F-22 at 100 kilometers, while the same radar in the same conditions picks up a J-20 at 105 kilometers, is that really going to make much of a difference?

Last edited:
Irreparable high radar observability in a stealth fighter is an unsoundness of design, there are no conditions in which this is a positive trait.
There is no accepted standard on low radar observability.

The unofficial par is the F-117, of which its RCS value is still secret, so even if China release the J-20's data, there is still nothing to measure that data against.

1) The canard argument is very poor.
No, it is not. If you take any structure and measure its RCS as a STANDALONE structure, all you will have is an RCS value without context.

It appears to me you are unfamiliar with the basics of radar detection and low radar observability. This post will be longer than usual, but if you want to learn, you will make the time to read it. By the way, you will not learn this from any of the Chinese members in this forum, or even from other Chinese forums, for that matter.

In radar detection, everything is a radiator the moment the body is inside a radar beam.

There are three rules in designing a radar low observable body:

- Control of quantity of radiators
- Control of array of radiators
- Control of modes of radiation

The rules are more like guidelines. There is no violation of the rules, only the degree of obedience to them.

In radar detection, the sphere is considered the ideal body because it is the most obedient to the above three rules.

The sphere has only one radiator -- itself. That means it is the most obedient to the rule 2: Control of ARRAY of radiators.

To show that I am not making this up...

http://www.centurymetalspinning.com/radar-calibration-spheres/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Calibration_Sphere_1
It has been used for radar calibration since its launch.
The sphere is used for radar system calibration because no matter its orientation to the seeking radar, its RCS will always be the same.

So the issue is not the canards but rather that the J-20 has eight major flight control structures while the F-22 and F-35 has six.

StulH1x.jpg

For the F-15 and F-22, each has six major flight control structures. But why is the F-22 'stealthy' while the F-15 is not ?

Because of rule 2 : Control of ARRAY of radiators.

The word 'array' means 'in relation to'.

In designing a radar low observable body, the corner reflector SHOULD be avoided. If not possible, then the 90 deg corner reflector MUST avoided.

Like this...

08aBsD4.jpg

In fact, the corner reflector is so good at increasing RCS that the structure is used in marine safety where small boats can appear on radars.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-Radar-Reflector

It is not about the canards' dihedral or its movements in flight. It is the TOTALITY of structures that are in the radar beam.

jdam_gbu30.jpg

The reason why weapons are internalized in 'stealth' fighters is because -- as the example above -- weapons are the least obedient to the three rules.

Let us look at the YF-23...

9zTwrR7.jpg

The YF-23 is considered to be less radar observable or 'stealthier' than the F-22 even in the absence of hard measurement data. Why is that ?

Probably because the YF-23 has four major flight control structures. That makes the YF-23 more obedient to rule 1: Control of QUANTITY of radiators.

Now we come to rule three: Control of MODES of radiation.

There is a reason why we moved away from the angled faceting techniques of the F-117: Modes of radiation.

Curvatures produces different ways on how a radar signal leave a structure. A flat surface produces large specular reflection.

Like this...

rcs_plates.jpg

Curvatures produces surface waves actions that have lower but often longer duration of radiation. In school, infinite surfaces are used in hypothetical situations, but in real life, all structures are finite so a radar signal has to leave a structure somehow and some time. So we have rule three: Control of MODES of radiation.

The J-20 with its EIGHT major flight control structures are less obedient to the three rules.

You have been misled, my friend. It is not about the canards.

Having said that, even if the J-20 is poorer than the F-22 or F-35 in stealth, no one -- to the best of my knowledge -- has publicly quantified how much poorer. If a radar can pick up an F-22 at 100 kilometers, while the same radar in the same conditions picks up a J-20 at 105 kilometers, is that really going to make much of a difference?
A five klicks difference is meaningless. But it is misleading to use such close figures.

No one is going to release hard measurement data. I could argue that the difference MIGHT be 20+ klicks. In that case, the J-20 will be at a disadvantage.

The f-35 may have problems, but even with its issues, it still outclasses 99% of fighters in the world.

It is beaten by both F-22 and J-20, the only other 5th generation fighters in existence right now.

When the Turkish TF-X comes online towards the latter part of the next decade, it will fall to 4th place.

Last edited:
It is beaten by both F-22 and J-20, the only other 5th generation fighters in existence right now.

When the Turkish TF-X comes online towards the latter part of the decade, it will fall to 4th place.
And people say that we Americans are optimistic ?

When the Turkish TF-X comes online towards the latter part of the next decade, it will fall to 4th place.

Can we please stop this BS?? I really don't want to defend the F-35 but it was developed as a completely different class of fighter than the J-20 and F-22. Also as far as I know no aerial encounter between an J-20 and F-35 ever took place as such, such statements are purely based on wishful thinking, lack of understanding, wet dreams and ignorance since none of us here knows anything on the real data.

And if the Turkish TFX will ever fly is yet another issue.

Therefore stop these stupid off-topic discussions and back to the J-20.

Deino

When F-35 beaten by J-20 care to explain?o_O:what: you live in you wet dream and wishful thinking sir:enjoy:

The f-35 may have problems, but even with its issues, it still outclasses 99% of fighters in the world.

Can we please stop this BS?? I really don't want to defend the F-35 but it was developed as a completely different class of fighter than the J-20 and F-22. Also as far as I know no aerial encounter between an J-20 and F-35 ever took place as such, such statements are purely based on wishful thinking, lack of understanding, wet dreams and ignorance since none of us here knows anything on the real data.

And if the Turkish TFX will ever fly is yet another issue.

Therefore stop these stupid off-topic discussions and back to the J-20.

Deino

When F-35 beaten by J-20 care to explain?o_O:what: you live in you wet dream and wishful thinking sir:enjoy:

As said, there has never been any encounter between the F-35 with the latest of the Chinese jet fighters as well as the Russian ones. Of course the Pentagon and the maker LM published the flying colour marks of the aircraft, the project still has long ways to go, huge money there involving many interests... also many foreign clients are still sought after, think about all the betting with the big money attached there... but how can any one be so sure that what said represents the truth only? Many just conveniently ignore or underestimate the repeated problems regardless the GAO reports. Talking about the shaped perception and psychological bias.

Just admit it that at the end, at best we all have no sure idea what is the real state except what's claimed by the concerning parties. That's why better drop the vital contest, 'my "tool" is bigger than yours' :rofl::chilli::victory:

And if you're still so enthusiast to prove its superiority then go read at sinodef, you may find the lengthy discussion incl. the recent USNI article on F-35-versus-J-20 at the J-20 thread there... enough to say that the author of the article has its own audience to cater and some "particular message" to deliver... truth or factuality itself is not the objective... important enough the conveyed message that the publisher will prevent any weighted counter opinion that seems to weaken his narrative from appearing at that site, incl. the own correction from the quoted source against some inaccuracy like the one from Andreas Rupprecht.... :D:P I dunno why Deino does not post his "disappearing" reply here at pakdef for clarity purpose.

Last edited:

On paper, we don't know anything about any of these fighters true capabilities, nor will any of the governments share them with the public.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom