What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

WS-15 is still at testing, J-20s are not equipped with it` please end this assumption````!

BUT, the engines used on J-20 (btw, already having 24+ in services and conducting exercises) are of domestic variants, not imported Russian ones! (dont ask me for the proves```I cant give it to u lot`` and its up to you to believe it or not)

WS-15 is still at testing, J-20s are not equipped with it` please end this assumption````!

BUT, the engines used on J-20 (btw, already having 24+ in services and conducting exercises) are of domestic variants, not imported Russian ones! (dont ask me for the proves```I cant give it to u lot`` and its up to you to believe it or not)

"WS-15 is still at testing"
Bench testing or testing on some other airplane?

"the engines used on J-20 are of domestic variants of what?" WS-10 or AL-31?

I think i need to agree with you on this one. WS-15 shall be still testing.. The one on J-20 is a mysterious engine which has more thrust than AL-31F. Its a higher thrust than WS-10 but lower than the expected WS-15. It shall be something specific tailor for J-20 for the time being.

Yin Zhuo , a CPC board member and a former rear admiral. He was also chosen by PLA to represent PLA view for CCTV talkshow. His security clearance is much higher and able to assess more state secret. He echo exactly what you stated.

I think i need to agree with you on this one. WS-15 shall be still testing.. The one on J-20 is a mysterious engine which has more thrust than AL-31F. Its a higher thrust than WS-10 but lower than the expected WS-15. It shall be something specific tailor for J-20 for the time being.

Yin Zhuo , a CPC board member and a former rear admiral. He was also chosen by PLA to represent PLA view for CCTV talkshow. His security clearance is much higher and able to assess more state secret. He echo exactly what you stated.
just an entertainer, I never take their statements too seriously`````you'd know what I'm talking about when you have friends who are really working for institutions on key projects```they know much better than the armies...

"WS-15 is still at testing"
Bench testing or testing on some other airplane?

"the engines used on J-20 are of domestic variants of what?" WS-10 or AL-31?
WS-15 is on the air now``thats all I can say,
regarding what engines that are used on J-20, I cant tell you exactly ```` as I cant confirm from my source```it can be WS-variants or something else

Likely a WS-10X

just an entertainer, I never take their statements too seriously`````you'd know what I'm talking about when you have friends who are really working for institutions on key projects```they know much better than the armies...

WS-15 is on the air now``thats all I can say,
regarding what engines that are used on J-20, I cant tell you exactly ```` as I cant confirm from my source```it can be WS-variants or something else
I guess WS10b on J20, bigger thrust power less life span. If AVIC let a foreign power plant installed on a fifth gem fighter, they can go to hell. 航空发动机如果没有钱学森级别的大拿回国相助是不会有大的突破的,闭门造车纯属浪费时间。

Rhenium is very important for producing engine, China don't have many. Fighter turbo fans engine is the gem on the crown, only three countries on this planet can build high thrust turbo fan engine. We are waiting for a more reasonable and innovative organizational structure and a genius coming.

JL5keDh.jpg
mjZBtJH.jpg
xCFjVC5.jpg

A quick sum up of the talks/whispers which i believe quite credible and making sense. Keep in mind that no one in the know can provide prove as this will land them jail time. In China, revealing anything prior to the government release is the act of espionage. So i guess people either take it leave it, or let time to prove.

1) FWS10B is the engine that powers J20 at present. FWS15, which is manufactured by Plant 460, is said has just passed the technology appraisal, batch production will start from 2018 under its original plan.

2)Due to the fact that FWS10B has just finished tens of hours test at the end of 2010, when it was selected to power the #2001 J20 in its maiden flight, there was another J20 using AL31FN as a back up.

3) FWS10B is developed based on the FWS10A adopting many new designs/materials of FWS15 by Plant 410. The engineers at Plant 410 responsible for the development of FWS10B's vectoring nozzle including A9 vector control component for FWS10B are the same people who studied and mapped every components of 99M1. So it is no surprise if its' nozzle has some similarity to that of AL31FN's .

4) FWS10B produces a thrust of 155 KN with afterburning. It enables J20 to conduct supersonic cruise at low level of mach 1.3, a bit lower than the F22. That is why PLA general Yinzhuo commented on TV that until the FWS15 was used,J20 was a bit behind the F22 'supersonic cruise speed (mach 1.8).

5) Plant 410 designated FWS10C to a new medium thrust engine to power J31. Probably it will adopt part of FWS15 designs/materials to FWS13 like did on FWS10B.

6) FWS15 uses carbon based nanocomposites for its nozzle. Since this material will show different color in photos depending on direct light or back light, it can be used as a clue to ascertain which engine is which.

7) It is said that both engines of #2016 are FWS15.

8) The full stealth of the canard wing of the J20 is achieved by the hexagon plasma devices.

9) J20's asea has more than 2100 GaN semiconductors modules.

PDF WS10B.jpg

A quick sum up of the talks/whispers which i believe quite credible and making sense. Keep in mind that no one in the know can provide prove as this will land them jail time. In China, revealing anything prior to the government release is the act of espionage. So i guess people either take it leave it, or let time to prove.

1) FWS10B is the engine that powers J20 at present. FWS15, which is manufactured by Plant 460, is said has just passed the technology appraisal, batch production will start from 2018 under its original plan.

2)Due to the fact that FWS10B has just finished tens of hours test at the end of 2010, when it was selected to power the #2001 J20 in its maiden flight, there was another J20 using AL31FN as a back up.

3) FWS10B is developed based on the FWS10A adopting many new designs/materials of FWS15 by Plant 410. The engineers at Plant 410 responsible for the development of FWS10B's vectoring nozzle including A9 vector control component for FWS10B are the same people who studied and mapped every components of 99M1. So it is no surprise if its' nozzle has some similarity to that of AL31FN's .

4) FWS10B produces a thrust of 155 KN with afterburning. It enables J20 to conduct supersonic cruise at low level of mach 1.3, a bit lower than the F22. That is why PLA general Yinzhuo commented on TV that until the FWS15 was used,J20 was a bit behind the F22 'supersonic cruise speed (mach 1.8).

5) Plant 410 designated FWS10C to a new medium thrust engine to power J31. Probably it will adopt part of FWS15 designs/materials to FWS13 like did on FWS10B.

6) FWS15 uses carbon based nanocomposites for its nozzle. Since this material will show different color in photos depending on direct light or back light, it can be used as a clue to ascertain which engine is which.

7) It is said that both engines of #2016 are FWS15.

8) The full stealth of the canard wing of the J20 is achieved by the hexagon plasma devices.

9) J20's asea has more than 2100 GaN semiconductors modules.

View attachment 356475

"FWS15, which is manufactured by Plant 460, is said has just passed the technology appraisal, batch production will start from 2018 under its original plan."

When did you think the airborne testing of FWS-15 on an aircraft started? And on which aircraft?, other than the J-20 version 2016. It is inconceivable that the "batch production will start from 2018" if J-20 (2016) was the first and only test plane. Normally, this phase will take 5-10 years to stabilize a new engine through intensive airborne testing.

Good summary. I have never believed that FWS-15 is still on the bench testing phase and it was never tested on J-20 yet, like some ignorant persons have suggested. :chilli::victory::bounce::china::flame::crazy_pilot::mps::sleep:

I am curious about your reactions when FWS-15 makes its true debut.:coffee:

Last edited:
"FWS15, which is manufactured by Plant 460, is said has just passed the technology appraisal, batch production will start from 2018 under its original plan."

When did you think the airborne testing of FWS-15 on an aircraft started? And on which aircraft?, other than the J-20 version 2016. It is inconceivable that the "batch production will start from 2018" if J-20 (2016) was the first and only test plane. Normally, this phase will take 5-10 years to stabilize a new engine through intensive airborne testing.

Good summary. I have never believed that FWS-15 is still on the bench testing phase and it was never tested on J-20 yet, like some ignorant persons have suggested. :chilli::victory::bounce::china::flame::crazy_pilot::mps::sleep:
2014 April, #2011 tested the so-called "single engine takeoff/landing". The engine on the right of the #2011 was said to be the FWS15. It remained divergent cause it had bigger thrust than the other engine.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/mil/2014-04/29/c_126445311.htm
2011号新版歼20疑用新型发动机挑战单发起降
126440998_13986495886401n.jpg

2014 April, #2011 tested the so-called "single engine takeoff/landing". The engine on the right of the #2011 was said to be the FWS15. It remained divergent cause it had bigger thrust than the other engine.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/mil/2014-04/29/c_126445311.htm
2011号新版歼20疑用新型发动机挑战单发起降
View attachment 356526

Last night, I had the revelation that J-20 version 2001 was already testing with WS-15 from the very beginning. Today, I came across this article written in 2011-02-25, just after the first test flight of J-20.

http://bbs.81tech.com/thread-274296-1-1.html.

It has a detailed timeline of WS-15's development starting from the preliminary investigation in 1984 for a engine with TWR of 10. It also described, extensively, the internal constructions and new technologies used in this engine. I am not sure about this since I am an aviation engineer.

"2009年5月原形机首次台架运转试车成功。

预计,2011年6月“峨眉”发动机的原型机将完成FRET(飞行前鉴定试验阶段),将于2011年底在J-20上首飞成功.预计2014年7月发动机完成设计定型试验. 2016年生产型发动机定型, 装“峨眉”航空发动机的J-20战斗机将于2018年初具备初步作战能力"

Here it mentioned, that on May of 2009, WS-15's first bench test was successfully conducted. And it is predicted that all pre-flight testings will be completed by June of 2011; by the end of 2011, WS-15 will be tested on J-20; by June of 2014 the WS-15's design will be fully tested; by 2016, the design will be finalized, and by 2018, the J-20 and WS-15 will achieve initial operation capability.

I find this article highly credible and the stated timeline highly plausible.

Last night, I had the revelation that J-20 version 2001 was already testing with WS-15 from the very beginning. Today, I came across this article written in 2011-02-25, just after the first test flight of J-20.

http://bbs.81tech.com/thread-274296-1-1.html.

It has a detailed timeline of WS-15's development starting from the preliminary investigation in 1984 for a engine with TWR of 10. It also described, extensively, the internal constructions and new technologies used in this engine. I am not sure about this since I am an aviation engineer.

"2009年5月原形机首次台架运转试车成功。

预计,2011年6月“峨眉”发动机的原型机将完成FRET(飞行前鉴定试验阶段),将于2011年底在J-20上首飞成功.预计2014年7月发动机完成设计定型试验. 2016年生产型发动机定型, 装“峨眉”航空发动机的J-20战斗机将于2018年初具备初步作战能力"

Here it mentioned, that on May of 2009, WS-15's first bench test was successfully conducted. And it is predicted that all pre-flight testings will be completed by June of 2011; by the end of 2011, WS-15 will be tested on J-20; by June of 2014 the WS-15's design will be fully tested; by 2016, the design will be finalized, and by 2018, the J-20 and WS-15 will achieve initial operation capability.

I find this article highly credible and the stated timeline highly plausible.
Bro @cirr, @ChineseTiger1986 was telling couple of Pages back that WS-15 completed its ground testing and started air testing on IL-76 engine test-bed, so how can it be installed on 2001?, just in your wishful thinking and assumptions:p: i think it is WS-10X not WS-15:hitwall::devil::crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious about your reactions when FWS-15 makes its true debut.:coffee:

Most likely crying that then back in 2011 it was a testbed or prototype version only that due to dramatic new materials and scitific breakthrues only look now very much different ... and only Chinese native speaker can fully see and understand that.

I think the day will come when the whole truth will be revealed and it will be a very sad day for all the fan-boys ... but anyway.

Deino

Bro @cirr, @ChineseTiger1986 was telling couple of Pages back that WS-15 completed its ground testing and started air testing on IL-76 engine test-bed, so how can it be installed on 2001?, just in your wishful thinking and assumptions:p: i think it is WS-10X not WS-15:hitwall::devil::crazy:

But there are people saying that it's not even ws-10x that's on the j-20s

Back
Top Bottom