What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

J-20 will go into service with domestic engine. That is for sure.

This one should be the 155KN WS-10G, and we are now waiting for the 180KN WS-15.

One picture speaks more than million words.

F72CUWK.jpg

0.jpg

535eab34gvb19wi2rxqhn&690.jpg

There is no evidence for a 155kN WS-10.
Some are still skeptical about the 140kN one.

And we know nothing about the thrust of WS-15.
My estimations are 155-165kN.

Some think it will have a thrust of 180kN but keep in mind that even if the WS-15 have drastically improved TWR(9 if being optimistic) compared to WS-10(7.5). With the addition of TVC nozzle it will be much heavier with might require a major redesign of the J-20.

Also the engines in that picture are AL-31s.
No known J-20 is equipped with any other engine.

This one should be the 155KN WS-10G, and we are now waiting for the 180KN WS-15.

One picture speaks more than million words.

Indeed it "should" be ... but it is not and even more this image exactly confirms the engine as an AL-31FN-version... really no doubt, at least for me.
Just look at everything and even more all other high-resolution images published during the last few days.

As such - and again I would be glad if I would be wrong ! - don't let Your hope blind Yourself.

But - also again - we had this discussion so often already and I know You wont persuade me as long a true WS-10XYZ-powered J-20 appears - and I know how to identify a Taihang ! - and at the same time I won't You; and that's fine ... time will tell.

By the way I keep it with @星海军事

Let’s make a bet on this.

I bet all J-20s we saw so far (2001, 2002, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, and several LRIP ones) are now using non-domestic engines and J-20 will enter service with non-domestic engines. I will cease this account If I lose.

Deadline: A credible direct participant or an official documentary of Project 718 confirms the suggestion of either side.

Who's in?:coffee:

Deino

There is no evidence for a 155kN WS-10.
Some are still skeptical about the 140kN one.

And we know nothing about the thrust of WS-15.
My estimations are 155-165kN.

Some think it will have a thrust of 180kN but keep in mind that even if the WS-15 have drastically improved TWR(9 if being optimistic) compared to WS-10(7.5). With the addition of TVC nozzle it will be much heavier with might require a major redesign of the J-20.

Also the engines in that picture are AL-31s.
No known J-20 is equipped with any other engine.

If you click on that picture, you can see all the external flaps are unsealed unlike those of the AL-31F.

My post got more thanks than Deino and 星海军事 combined, it seems that most Chinese members seem to be more agreed with me than with them.

If you click on that picture, you can see all the external flaps are unsealed unlike those of the AL-31F.

My post got more thanks than Deino and 星海军事 combined, it seems that most Chinese members seem to be more agreed with me than with them.

Again I don't agree and honestly ... wishful-thinking surely gets more "like" but that does not say it is a fact.

Anyway... You have Your opinion and I have mine even if lesser "likes" but time will tell.

Deino

Again I don't agree and honestly ... wishful-thinking surely gets more "like" but that does not say it is a fact.

Anyway... You have Your opinion and I have mine even if lesser "likes" but time will tell.

Deino

You can maybe convince me that other J-20 engines were AL-31F, since it did really look like the AL-31F, but you cannot convince me the engine on that specific J-20 is AL-31F.

No way any AL-31F can look like that, the shape of the external flaps and length of the nozzle of the AL-31F aren't like that. It does look dramatically different.

I only believe what I saw, and if the engine does look like AL-31, then fine, I'd take it.

But this one is clearly not, you cannot convince me to betray my own rational judgement, nobody else can.

You can maybe convince me that other J-20 engines were AL-31F, since it did really look like the AL-31F, but you cannot convince me the engine on that specific J-20 is AL-31F.

No way any AL-31F can look like that, the shape of the external flaps and length of the nozzle of the AL-31F aren't like that. It does look dramatically different.

I only believe what I saw, and if the engine does look like AL-31, then fine, I'd take it.

But this one is clearly not, you cannot convince me to betray my own rational judgement, nobody else can.

The same for me but only the opposite ! As such let the time decide and we both simply agree to disagree.

Deino

Initial thrust to weight ratio of WS-15 should be 10:1, and eventually they might even improve it to 12:1. I think they are also exploring a new variable bypass engine with minimum 15:1 thrust ratio, but that will be at least 10 to 15 years down the road..

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTc0NjEyMTU4MA==.html

Watch the clip only between 4’45“ - 4‘50”.

Never seen such a super maneuver with other planes before. Su-35 or F-22 could do similar moves but would have a speed drop. Cann't imagine that this were done with AL-31FN engines.

Last edited:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTc0NjEyMTU4MA==.html

Watch the clip only between 4’45“ - 4‘50”.

Never seen such a super maneuver with other planes before. Su-35 or F-22 could do similar moves but would have a speed drop. Cann't imagine that this were done with AL-31FN engines.
Tbh,in that Video it looks like RC Plane o_O or i'm wrong ?
Watch this video from 1:3 to 1:10 :enjoy: turn rate is far better than i was expecting :china:

Tbh,in that Video it looks like RC Plane o_O or i'm wrong ?

I believe, that it is a real J-20 maneuver! Maybe it's the same flight that can be seen from the video clip of post #6081 starting from 1'05".

Sorry I can't open the link because youtube is barred in China. But J-20 has a turn rate of 3-4 per sec, quicker than F-22.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom