What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

I would change to question to the contrary: Why should it be when it was NOT capable of supercruise with the original AL-31FN?

WS-10 has a higher by-pass ratio than the AL-31FN. It trades off high speed performance for greater maximum thrust.

WS-10 has a higher by-pass ratio than the AL-31FN. It trades off high speed performance for greater maximum thrust.

But is this marginal increase relevant since thrust alone is not the important factor to supercruise?

J-10C
1c697a5565c3220c120335.jpg
1c697a5565c3220c121336.jpg
1c697a5565c3220c121a37.jpg

very impressive pirctures of J-10C. I wish Pakistan to have at least 100 of these J-10C in their Pakistan Air Force. Here in Canada, a Canadian retired pilot friend told me that J-10C is a powerful,advance multifeature, comprehensive jet fighter to fight better against latest major jet fighters like Su, Sukhoi, Mig , F22, F16, Eurofighter , Gripon and Rafale.

Last edited:
It's a pity the A model cannot be upgraded to the C model due to different fuselage. Hopefully PLAN gets the C model and phases out the A model over the coming years.

Nope ... hopefully the PLAN retires all its old J-10AH models and replaces them with more J-15 and J-16H.

Are no more 2 seater being produced? They all seem to be of A type with non-DSI intakes.

J-10C has better serviceability and takes up less space than J-16. On naval aviation bases that is a plus.

No, for the PLAN land-based operations this size issue is no issue but the J-10's limited range and weapons load is especially for naval operations a huge plus for a pure-Flanker fleet.

Are no more 2 seater being produced? They all seem to be of A type with non-DSI intakes.
Unlikely to see a new twin seater J10C, as there is no requirement.

Twin seater J10's main role is pilot conversion, i.e. to to convert a certified pilot from another aircraft type (ex J7, J8, JL9 and others) to J10. The twin seater J10 seen to be able to satisfy conversion to J10A/B/C with-out any hitch. Thus It does not matter the type conversion twin seater J10 is same as J10A spec and with non-DSI air intake.

Conversion training usually last only a few months, and with may be 70 to 80 hours flight time. Thereafter the pilot concerned will switch over to single seat J10A/B/C.

An anology in Chinese flankers - the old twin seater SU-27UBK bought some 20 years ago (along with the now retired PLAAF SU-27SK) is still doing the type conversion for pilots who will be taking control of J11B despite the difference between J11B and SU-27SK/J11A.

A conversion trainer need not have exact spec as the aircraft which the newly converted pilot will command.

I just posted some articles on J-10C with the domestically developed WS-10 Taihang engine at the "Chinese Aero Engine information thread", please read them there :-)

- China’s J-10 comes of age with indigenous engine
By Greg Waldron | FlightGlobal - 21 May 2021

- PLA’s J-10C fighter makes training debut with domestically made engine: reports
By Liu Xuanzun | Global Times - 13 May 2021

Back
Top Bottom