What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

Even if I'm not a metallurgist or material engineer (I think is there any out here) but - in mind of the Chemical kinetics - You can achieve sometimes the same results even with a slightly lower temperature by a longer time of reaction. So if the differences in temperature is not that huge, but the time of operational cycles much higher, You probably get the same colour effect.

As such I would not really correlate colour of metal with the thrust !

J-10A
tG9L9mc.gif
AT7JVMC.gif
sE8ielL.jpg
PfQZrWM.jpg
0k0T5Yj.jpg
ZzQvaLi.jpg
SJe99bq.jpg

IMO J10C has new sensors replacing MAW, it is just that we have not identified what it is. Possibly based on latest technology from J20.

The color in the AL-31FN petals are a reaction between the heat from the engine and the alloys used to make the nozzle. Probably a reaction similar to how tempered steel changes color with differing temperatures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.JPG
Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.JPG

Heat and thrust are directly related. A higher thrust engine will produce more heat.

I also don't buy the argument that the nozzle will continue to change color over time. Can anyone show me Russian Air Force planes (using AL-31F) with color changing nozzles? Can anyone show me pictures of the Su-30MKK/MK2 nozzles changing color over time? I've never seen it.

Let me use pictures to illustrate the changing color of the J-10A/S nozzle over time.

Here are two pictures from the 2008/2009 time frame. These are dated photos from airliners.net. Standard blue/grey petals.

tihAJrT.jpg

uTvBTme.jpg

Now look at the multi-colored nozzles of the J-10A/S from Zhuhai 2016.

0UrtgEJ.jpg

Haq6voC.jpg

Here is a unique picture of an unmarked J-10A with very colorful nozzles. This one is very strange.

53saZUb.jpg

Moreover, please do not bring the J-10B/C into this discussion. We know AL-31FN Series 3 has higher thrust. I want to stick with the original J-10A/S using the 'old' AL-31FN.

Can anyone provide a credible explanation as to why the nozzle colors are changing over time?

Original blue/grey AL-31FN.

1.JPG

Multi-colored AL-31FN.

2.JPG

Someone explain.

In this one, I think Denio is right. The multi color is caused by high temperature. still Al31FN.

Sorry ... the size of a batch is very different. For example the early J-10A batches were smaller, the J-10B has a size of 55. Concerning the number of ac in a batch at SAC I don't know.
The final J-10C spotted was 2-49 however already in September, the last J-11B I know was 6-18 but that already in 2014.
I think you got misinformed on this one. 2.49 is still the batch2 production J-10B, not J-10c. So far a total number of 108 J-10B were produced in 2 batches ( 1-01 to 1-54 and 2-.01 to 2-54) and deployed to 6 regiments. The first production J-10C deployed was reported back in Jan.

Back
Top Bottom