What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

I think that the reason we see less J10b is because the frame is tested only. They did a lot of flights in the beginning. All the needed to test is how it behaves with different inlet. So now it is probably readied for full production. We saw J10B with a different radar. That can only done after flight testing has been done.

The smaller SD10c for JF17 is probably for multiple launch pylons. And it will be possible to add it on wingtip. PAF does not need the 90km range. And longer range does mean more time for opponent to evade. You do not want you missiles ending in India so they can test it. I think the small RCS of JF17 can evolve in closer range BVR tactic. Less weight and smaller missile means more missiles carried during combat.

Generally .. missiles have a self destruct mechanism in case they miss their target .. specifically to keep them from falling into the enemy's hands.
Considering the short flight times between the MOB's and FOB's of India and Pakistan.. Long range missiles are operationally a problem for any pre-war scenario.. since you need to confirm hostile intent. A jet may come within ten miles of the no-man's land and then make a turn elsewhere... and you would have a scrambled jet in air waiting for an incident.
How does one tell that a formation of mirage 2000's is on a transit flight and not on a strike mission?
Once a war starts.. and its no holds barred, long range shots will be crucial to ensuring a strike formation goes through.

{Considering the short flight times between the MOB's and FOB's of India and Pakistan.. Long range missiles are operationally a problem for any pre-war scenario.. since you need to confirm hostile intent. A jet may come within ten miles of the no-man's land and then make a turn elsewhere... and you would have a scrambled jet in air waiting for an incident.}

Pre-war is indeed the issue. In war everything is shot at. And we have seen MKI during Red Flag that they indeed shoot at everything.

{How does one tell that a formation of mirage 2000's is on a transit flight and not on a strike mission?
Once a war starts.. and its no holds barred, long range shots will be crucial to ensuring a strike formation goes through.}

With long range weapons like Scalp, Babur, Ra'ad you only be sure when checking their RCS or getting a much better insight (when they are airborne) info. And even in case of Ra'ad. We can use Babur. So I think in the next 4-5 years there will be no real dedicated a2g missions like we had in the past. Airforce will move to air superiority. UAV's for recon. Smart weapons for a2g. But I can be wrong...

That's J-10A Vs.J-11A(Su-27SK),the result is no surprising.It would be interesting to see what's the result of J10A Vs.J-11B.

I admire the J10B for it is a unique chinese plane with Chinese identity , J11 is wonderful too but I just love J10B

May be its the Delta wing (triangle shape) or the amazing agility of the fight I mean J10B is a PANTHER .... if F16 was a cheeta

A rare pic of J-10
5909476210_7c0067eeb1_z.jpg

The way the pic is done.. leaves a lot of doubt in one's mind about its authenticity.
However.. it may very well be a real pic.
Here is an enlarged Image...may be some Chinese friend can clear things up
5909202775_d7b78e4e05_b.jpg

Looks a photoshopped ,also look at the jet parked next to it doesn't have CFt's to it
its the first production aircraft thus it may be undergoing weapons testing. Its not necessary that all the J-10s be equipped with CFTs at the same time

here is a link to an interesting article. giving step by step evaluation of the J-10 and J-10B with pics.
Chengdu J-10
i hope you guys will like it.

China's First Master Designer

July 5, 2011: After years of trying to keep it a secret, China has confirmed that one of their aircraft engineers, Yang Wei, is actually one of those extraordinary designers who produces one successful design after another. Born in 1963, he graduated from college at age 19 and finished graduate school three years later. He soon went to work at the Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute, and a decade later was appointed director. So far, he has designed a working fly-by-wire system, as well as the JF-17, J-10B and J-20. He did not design the original J-10, but did design the most successful version, the J-10B, and provided important upgrades for other J-10 models. The new J-20 (a stealth design that is still in development) is less of a surprise now that it's known the Chinese have a genuine ace designer working on it.
Ace aircraft designers are rare, and those that do show up tend to create a number of exceptional designs during a few decades (or much less, if there's a war going on). For example, Russian designer Mikhail Simonov recently died (at age 81). He was responsible for the Su-24 bomber, the Su-25 ground attack plane and the Su-27 fighter. Starting during World War II, for example, one American designer (who was trained in Germany), Edgar Schmued, designed the P-51, followed by the F-86 and F-100 after the war. In Germany, Willie Messerschmitt designed the Me-109, Me-110 and the first jet fighter (Me-262) plus several others during World War II, and a few after the war.

In China, Yang Wei appears to be the first designer in this tradition. He had nothing to do with the original J-10, the first modern jet fighter designed and built in China. That appears to explain the many problems this aircraft has had. The J-10 was an attempt to create a modern fighter-bomber that could compete with foreign designs. The experiment was not completely successful. Work on the J-10 began over twenty years ago, in an attempt to develop an aircraft that would be comparable to the Russian MiG-29s and Su-27s, and the American F-16. But the first prototype did not fly until 1998. There were continued problems, and it wasn't until 2000 that the basic design flaws were fixed. By 2002, nine prototypes had been built, and flight testing was going forward to find, and fix, hundreds of smaller flaws. It was a great learning experience for Chinese engineers, but it was becoming apparent that the J-10 was not going to be competitive with the Su-27s/30s China was buying from Russia. The J-10 looks something like the American F-16, and weighs about the same (19 tons). Like the F-16, and unlike the Su-27, the J-10 has only one engine. Yang Wei improved the J-10 considerably with his J-10B version.

But it was the JF-17 (also known as FC-1) that made Yang Mei's reputation. The JF-17 was developed by China in cooperation with Pakistan, which originally only wanted to buy 150 of them. All this came about because Pakistan could not get modern fighters from anyone else, and turned to China. At the time, China had nothing comparable to the early model F-16s Pakistan already had. The 13 ton JF-17 is meant to be a low cost alternative to the American F-16. The JF-17 is considered the equal to earlier versions of the F-16, but only 80 percent as effective as more recent F16 models. The JF-17 design is based on a cancelled Russian project, the MiG-33. Originally, Pakistan wanted Western electronics in the JF-17, but because of the risk of Chinese technology theft, and pressure from the United States (who did not want China to steal more Western aviation electronics), the JF-17 uses Chinese and Pakistani electronics.

The JF-17 can carry 3.6 tons of weapons and uses radar guided and heat seeking missiles. It has max speed of nearly 2,000 kilometers an hour, an operating range of 1,300 kilometers and a max altitude of nearly 18,000 meters (55,000 feet). China has not yet decided on whether it will use the FC-1/JF-17 itself. This is apparently because China believes its own J-10 and J-11 (a license built Russian Su-27) are adequate for their needs. The J-10, like the JF-17, did not work out as well as was hoped, but that's another matter.Warplanes: China's First Master Designer

China has not yet decided on whether it will use the FC-1/JF-17 itself. This is apparently because China believes its own J-10 and J-11 (a license built Russian Su-27) are adequate for their needs. The J-10, like the JF-17, did not work out as well as was hoped, but that's another matter.

I don’t know what is going in the head of Chinese authority on acquiring FC-1 and FC-20 but I believe that Pakistan badly need such a kind of equipment at this time in her inventory in current circumstances and current production line of both equipment would need to work hard to fulfill this requirement. I think this is the point might preventing China to acquire these equipments. At least they have already J-10 and J-11 that could fulfill their current requirement.

We are thankful of Chinese on this regards. :china:

Back
Top Bottom