What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

Fan fiction? Or do we have an actual bird like that?

I've always thought PAF lacks a deep strike option (in the event we use up all of our limited cruise missiles).

Fan fiction? Or do we have an actual bird like that?

I've always thought PAF lacks a deep strike option (in the event we use up all of our limited cruise missiles).

Conformal fuel tanks increase the range, hence giving aircrafts deep strike capability. Some air forces use the area to equip Electronic Warfare systems other use it to increase the range (conformal tanks).

Thanks.

Of course overseer, i acknowledge that.

This is the creative stuff to show how the J-10 will look like it, if certain modifications are done.

Of course overseer, i acknowledge that.

This is the creative stuff to show how the J-10 will look like it, if certain modifications are done.

Sorry Webby ;) I didn't mean to sound so mean. hehe.

About conformal fuel tank, I personally think it isn't such a good idea for strike aircraft to get such "upgrade". It makes the plane becomes slower & fly like a brick and you don't get any "option" to dump those fuel tanks incase of emergency (evasive actions). This was the case for the Taiwan's AIDC ****-1D Ching-kuo Fighter upgrade project.

AIDC **** Indigenous Defence Fighter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is widely talked about in some circle that after the AIDC ****-1D got upgraded with conformal fuel tanks, it makes the already slow fighter (max speed 1.8 mach) even slower, and far less manuvarable. It is even reported due to the weight increase with various upgrades (eg. fuel tanks, fuel weight, radars, ECM, and an extra engine), that all the advantages of range increase are actually nullified, so it become a slower, same range fighter as it was before, except it is more deck out.

Just think of it this way, if you are riding a bike, and you are forced to put on several backpacks filled with rocks, it will definitely limit your endurance, agility, and range how far you can bike.

So, unless the fighter is upgraded with far more powerful jet-engines, enlarging the wing area and lengthening the plane, I think generally, the conformal fuel tank is just a very costly bad idea.

EDIT: I don't know why the forum is blocking the military designation of the aircraft.... the link is broken due to it. If anyone interested to learn more, you need to search "Indigenous Defence Fighter" on wiki.

Admin Edit: There seems to be some banned word which is filtering the link. I will look into it. Thanks!

I dont think it is necessary with all the aircrafts given that modifications are effectively done.

The Isreali F-16I has both conformal fuel tanks and different spine to accomodate EW systems.

Sources tell you a few days ago a test flight of its latest j10

Sources tell you a few days ago a test flight of its latest j10

Loong you mean the super 10. Can you elaborate on it with details as to which version are you talking about?

Regards
IceCold

Overseer regarding CFT yar I think someone gave you wrong info about it.
The CFT have neglible effect on the aircraft agility, at subsonic speed, However, at supersonic speed, the drag is increased proportionally to the increase in speed. When fitted with CFT the aircraft retains almost the full handling qualities, flight limits, and signature.
and Dog Fights takes place way below Supersonic Speeds.

CFT are being used by IAF on ther F-16s and UAE B/60 the american test pilots say that
“The CFTs have very little adverse effect on the F-16’s renowned performance,” said Maj. Timothy S. McDonald, U.S. Air Force project pilot for CFT testing at Eglin. “A set of CFTs carries 50 percent more fuel than the centerline external fuel tank, but has only 12 percent of the drag.” The CFTs are designed for the full F-16 flight envelope – up to 9 g’s, maximum angle of attack and sideslip and maximum roll rate.

Loong you mean the super 10. Can you elaborate on it with details as to which version are you talking about?

Regards
IceCold

China's senior military enthusiasts have modified j10 judgment for the latest stealth modified.
:china: :pakistan:

China's senior military enthusiasts have modified j10 judgment for the latest stealth modified.

I think it's best you don't talk about it if you don't have any proof.

Benjamin Franklin once said : "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Loong,

Since your not new, we dont know how credible you are. Please provide sources, because it doesn't seems true.

I have seen the posts of Chinese senior posters on keymags and other forums but I am not thatmuch impressed by their knowledge. Certainly that discussion ok keymag where they were trying to build a case to show that China was exportnig degraded weapons... Laughable posts by Tphuang, Crobato and others.

Overseer regarding CFT yar I think someone gave you wrong info about it.
The CFT have neglible effect on the aircraft agility, at subsonic speed, However, at supersonic speed, the drag is increased proportionally to the increase in speed. When fitted with CFT the aircraft retains almost the full handling qualities, flight limits, and signature.
and Dog Fights takes place way below Supersonic Speeds.

CFT are being used by IAF on ther F-16s and UAE B/60 the american test pilots say that
“The CFTs have very little adverse effect on the F-16’s renowned performance,” said Maj. Timothy S. McDonald, U.S. Air Force project pilot for CFT testing at Eglin. “A set of CFTs carries 50 percent more fuel than the centerline external fuel tank, but has only 12 percent of the drag.” The CFTs are designed for the full F-16 flight envelope – up to 9 g’s, maximum angle of attack and sideslip and maximum roll rate.

I agree with most of your post but do not forget that every pound punishes acceleration... It is handy to drop wingfueltanks when going to do some real heavy dogfighting... CFT will stay there and are a pain in the back when you lost power and need to do a quick landing...

The real advantage for CFT is that you free up the mjor wingstations for ground stores. So the real advantage will be ground attack and not a2a... Anyway. Grate post.

Back
Top Bottom