What's new

Check out an inverted F-35 firing off a missile to test performance under negative G forces

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
As the F-35 marches closer to full combat readiness, pilots test the jet in ever more challenging environments, most recently by firing a AIM 9x air-to-air missile while flying upside-down.

"This unique missile launch is a situation we don’t expect a pilot to be in very often," read a release. Firing a missile upside-down is nothing new. Fighters have had this capability for decades, and the stealth F-35 shouldn't often find itself in a turning fight with adversaries.

But now they know that if they need to fire a missile while experiencing negative G forces and inverted, they can.

“We want to provide the maximum capability of the F-35 to the fleet to get them where they need to be for training and operational use,” said James Shepherd, the flight test engineer for the missile test at Patuxent River Navy Base. “This will ensure we meet our promises to deliver the most advanced fifth generation fighter in the world.”

neg%20g%20missile%20launch-missile%20on%20rail%20--jun17.jpg

neg%20g%20missile%20launch--8jun17.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-missile-inverted-2017-6

It's not from It's internal bay ???
Not in this test, obviously. Which, for a test, makes sense. The F-35 can carry payloads beyond what the internal payloads allow and allows flexibility if not needing stealth.
Weapons-Stations-Capacity_v1.jpg

bafsvolfpnfixvjzctww.jpg

zhGRhG5.jpg

it's F-35As, F-35Bs, or F-35Cs ?
On the images, it clearly says NAVY on the jet's tail end. Not MARINES or the air force roundel.

F-35A
635955205315937095-635938043556551270-160315-f-ya302-001jpg

F-35B (Marines)
qbXU358_2.jpg

F-35C (Navy)
1-2017-3_f-35c.jpg

It's said NAVY on the side of the plane, so it would be either a -35B or -35C

It should be a F-35C that fire that missile
yup it's F-35C aircraft carrier-capable fighters..
Takeoff & Landing
F-35A Conventional Takeoff and Landing
F-35B Short Take-Off and Vertical Landing
F-35C aircraft carrier-capable fighters that required Conventional Takeoff and Landing i think?.

Takeoff & Landing
J-17 thunder short vertical takeoff & short vertical Landing have no match..

Can J-17 be utilized for Air force and for Marine too, correct me if i am wrong?
&
What about J-31 ?

@Penguin

Last edited:
yup it's F-35C aircraft carrier-capable fighters..
Takeoff & Landing
J-17 thunder short vertical takeoff & short vertical Landing have no match..

Can J-17 be utilized for Air force and for Marine too, correct me if i am wrong?
What? JF-17 has no relevance here. Certainly no VTOL, STOVL capability. Pakistani marines don't have aircraft, PN doesn't have its own naval strike jets (PAF aircraft fulfill this reole).

What about J-31 ?
@Penguin
Well, what about it? Do you actually have a question?

We see British F-35 doing training flights here on regular basis. Good looking bird.

On topic , why would a fighter jet want to fire a missile while flying upside down? no practical implication i guess.

B is Marines only. C is Navy or Marines.

Dunno :)

I heard somewhere that F-35B was evaluated by the Navy because the Marine does not have a Evaluation squadron, so before these F-35B was deployed to the Marine, they were painted with NAS Pax River Flight Evaluation squadron insignia, kind of like the RAAF F-35A was painted with USAF Livery before delivered to the Aussie.

But I don't know if this is actually true, nor can I recall where do I heard that from, this is just popped up in my mind and it does actually make sense, I could be wrong tho.

We see British F-35 doing training flights here on regular basis. Good looking bird.

On topic , why would a fighter jet want to fire a missile while flying upside down? no practical implication i guess.

I think it's a part of Negative G Manoeuvre, it stated in the article itself

Dunno :)

I heard somewhere that F-35B was evaluated by the Navy because the Marine does not have a Evaluation squadron, so before these F-35B was deployed to the Marine, they were painted with NAS Pax River Flight Evaluation squadron insignia, kind of like the RAAF F-35A was painted with USAF Livery before delivered to the Aussie.

But I don't know if this is actually true, nor can I recall where do I heard that from, this is just popped up in my mind and it does actually make sense, I could be wrong tho.

I think it's a part of Negative G Manoeuvre, it stated in the article itself
It's just like with AV-8B (Marines only) and F/A-18A/D Hornet (Navy and Marines). F/A-18E/F is operated only by Navy.

They saw PAF flying inverted in recent airshows, so they wanted to show step more.
Otherwise, pure suicidal.

They saw PAF flying inverted in recent airshows, so they wanted to show step more.
Otherwise, pure suicidal.
I was selected for PAF GDP training in 1990 and then got kicked out :lol:
I had slower than required reaction time and would miss the runway by a few tens of meters :lol:
But this type of crazy maneuver was never part of curriculum , or if it is then may be in very later stages.
Most of the time, same as Russian cobra maneuver , these are more of advertisement stunts than any practical implication.

I was selected for PAF GDP training in 1990 and then got kicked out :lol:
I had slower than required reaction time and would miss the runway by a few tens of meters :lol:
But this type of crazy maneuver was never part of curriculum , or if it is then may be in very later stages.
Most of the time, same as Russian cobra maneuver , these are more of advertisement stunts than any practical implication.

more or less same here, but don't worry God has something better for you out side PAF.
and ja, I agree on last sentence.

Back
Top Bottom