What's new

Check out an inverted F-35 firing off a missile to test performance under negative G forces

It's just like with AV-8B (Marines only) and F/A-18A/D Hornet (Navy and Marines). F/A-18E/F is operated only by Navy.

Well, I know that, I was saying I have heard someone said The Navy is responsible for flight test with regard to F-35B and F-35C, and that could have seen F-35B with Navy Paints.

But then again, I can no longer remember who told me that or where do I get that from, so It might have been false or not longer true.

It's said NAVY on the side of the plane, so it would be either a -35B or -35C

It should be a F-35C that fire that missile

It is the C. Best way to tell (besides the 'NAVY' sign and eventual tail numbers and without having the ability to notice the larger size difference in the C compared to the A & B) is the C has flaps and ailerons, whereas the A & B have single, continuous flaperons that end short of the wingtip, and are narrower than the flaps on the C. The folding, wing joint for carrier storage on the C is also right at the seam that separates the flaps from the ailerons and that joint is almost in line with the outside edge of the horizontal stabilizers.

F-35C

f35-3.gif

D35.jpg

F-35A

f35_variant_ctol.jpg

RNLAF_F-35_F-001_01.jpg

F-35B

f35-2.gif

UK-F-35B7.jpg

Another way to notice the difference in only the C is the way the trailing edge of the wings and how they join the body; they cut into the H-stabs (or vice versa), similar to the F-22, whereas in the A & B there is a separation between the joint on the wing's trailing edge and the H-stabs leading edge root.

Another one is the leading edge roots of the wings on the C join straight into the fuselage, whereas the A & B both have mini LERX's, so to speak.

The size difference on the C and the fact the the Navy insisted on it to be larger and having separate, flight control surfaces might be an indication of better flight characteristics than the other two, besides VTOL, of course.

It is the C. Best way to tell (besides the 'NAVY' sign and eventual tail numbers and without having the ability to notice the larger size difference in the C compared to the A & B) is the C has flaps and ailerons, whereas the A & B have single, continuous flaperons that end short of the wingtip, and are narrower than the flaps on the C. The folding, wing joint for carrier storage on the C is also right at the seam that separates the flaps from the ailerons and that joint is almost in line with the outside edge of the horizontal stabilizers.

This picture should help too. At the bottom is the Navy's F-35C with its larger wing surface, the middle has the F-35B with its lift fan and reinforced spine and at the top is the Air Force's F-35A with neither of these modifications.

F-35_Lightning_II_variants_in_flight_near_Eglin_AFB_in_2014.jpg

I'm really excited to have an opportunity to see the first of ours touch down in Norway later this year.

22306402264_f9dc3991a2_o.t56422abb.m1200.x4e02a107.jpg

This picture should help too. At the bottom is the Navy's F-35C with its larger wing surface, the middle has the F-35B with its lift fan and reinforced spine and at the top is the Air Force's F-35A with neither of these modifications.

F-35_Lightning_II_variants_in_flight_near_Eglin_AFB_in_2014.jpg

The canopy layout is visibly different on the B because of that lift fan cover.

I'm really excited to have an opportunity to see the first of ours touch down in Norway later this year.

22306402264_f9dc3991a2_o.t56422abb.m1200.x4e02a107.jpg

Will they announce the arrival date and allow spectators?

Back
Top Bottom