What's new

Chang'e I ends lunar mission with a bang

gpit

Reaction score
(China Daily)
Updated: 2009-03-02 07:22

China's lunar probe ended its 16-month mission with a controlled crash onto the moon Sunday, officials said.

Chang'e I hit the moon surface at 4:13 pm Beijing time Sunday after completing its tasks, sources with the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense said.

4832976ca57929389e73400eaa61fd5c.jpg

The controlled crash of Chang'e I is seen from this graphics, March 2, 2009. [China Daily]

Chang'e I began to reduce its speed at 3:36 pm with two observation and control stations in Qingdao and Kashgar controlling it remotely.

The mission was to gather experience for a moon landing and launch of a lunar rover - the next stage of China's three-stage moon mission - in 2012, sources with the administration said.

The third phase features another lunar rover, which will land on the moon and return to Earth with lunar soil and stone samples for scientific research, in 2017. It will be followed by a manned lunar landing, expected before 2020.

The country's first planetary probe, Chang'e I completed its tasks in October after a year in space.

Chang'e I, which spent 494 days in space, was launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center atop a Long March 3-A carrier rocket on October 24, 2007.

The 2,350-kg satellite carried eight surveying facilities, with which it conducted a three-dimensional survey of the moon's surface. A full map of the lunar surface - China's first - was transmitted back in November 2007.

China will launch its second lunar probe, Chang'e II, in 2010 or 2011. Chang'e is named after a legendary Chinese moon goddess.

9f3c9bb08af6f4d644b8ee4c1743d247.jpg

The former Soviet Union's Luna 2 became the first spacecraft to hit the lunar surface on September 12, 1959.

Space module

China will launch a space module next year and carry out the nation's first space docking in 2011 as a step toward its goal of building a space station.

dadd17c1b5e0aeec788e55547e04271f.jpg

A full map of the lunar surface, China's first of this kind, is seen in this picture released on November 12, 2008. [Xinhua]

The Tiangong I, or "Heavenly Palace I" is scheduled for launch in late 2010 and will dock with a Shenzhou VIII spacecraft early the following year, Xinhua News Agency said, citing officials with China's space program.

"The module, named Tiangong I, is designed to provide a 'safe room' for Chinese astronauts to live and conduct scientific research in zero gravity," the report said.

"Weighing about 8.5 tons, Tiangong I will be an essential step toward building a space station."

Space program officials have previously said China is expected to place in orbit several modules like the Tiangong and link them up to form a semi-permanent space platform.

China Daily - Agencies

------------------

Nice move, China! :enjoy:

China's lunar probe lands on moon

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- China's first lunar probe landed on the moon in a controlled collision Sunday, marking the first phase of the nation's three-stage moon mission, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

The second stage involves sending a second probe to practice soft landings, the Xinhua news agency said.

The mission will culminate with the launch and landing of a rover on the moon to collect mineral samples in 2012.

The probe -- Chang'e-1, named after a legendary moon goddess -- launched into space 16 months ago on October 24, 2007.

China became only the third nation, after the United States and Russia, to send a manned spacecraft into orbit. It did so in October 2003.

China's lunar probe lands on moon - CNN.com

:china:

Good Going China.

I hope Pakistan also Co-operates with China on Space Program.

I found a nice summary article but in Chinese æ϶ðÒ»ºÅÔÚ¹ìÊÔÑéÓкÎÒâÒ壿ºóÐøÊÔÑéÕÃÏÔʵÁ¦ - È«ÇòÈȵã - ÐÂÎÅÖÐÐÄ. The following is a history that I think may be interesting:

Oct. 24, 2007, launched from Xichang satellite launch center.

Nov. 5, 2007 smoothly entered Moon orbit, became the first made-in-China Moon satellite.

Nov. 7, 2007 accomplished 3 brakes and entered 200km mission orbit.

Nov. 26, 2007 first moon map was published.

Feb. 21 and Aug. 16, 2008, successfully endured two moon eclipses.

Oct. 24, 2008, reached the designed life of one year.

Nov. 7, 2008, started “after designed life” experiments.

Mar. 1, 2009, landed on the Moon trough the control from the Earth.

“after designed life” maneuvers:
Dec. 6, 2008, descended to 100 by 100km circular orbit where elevation of temperature was noticed by was within allowed instrumental operation limits.

Dec. 19, 2008, descended to 100 by 15km elliptic orbit for 1.5 days and then returned to 100 by 100 orbit.

15km is pretty low. It’s about the height of ordinary jet air-planes. I don’t know what it would look like if a moon-man were watching it! Would he do this :bounce: ?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom