What's new

Can't prevent repeat of 26/11:GILANI

amarnath

BANNED
Reaction score
Pak cannot assure India that 26/11 will not be repeated: Gilani tells US
Islamabad, Jan 22 (PTI):

Pakistan, which is experiencing ''Mumbai-like attacks almost every other day'', cannot guarantee there will not be a repeat of the 26/11 strikes in India, Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani has told the US.

''Pakistan is itself facing Mumbai-like attacks almost every other day and when we cannot protect our own citizens, how can we guarantee that there wouldn't be any more terrorist hits in India," Gilani was quoted by a source in the media here as having told visiting US Secretary of Defence Robert Gates yesterday.

Gilani said the best safeguard against such incidents is delinking the bilateral peace process from action against terrorism.

The Dawn newspaper reported that the Pakistan Prime Minister told Gates about steps taken against militant groups, saying they had been outlawed and their network disrupted.

In an apparent reference to Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, accused by India of masterminding the Mumbai attacks, Gilani said his government could not prosecute anyone without evidence.

He also sought "even-handedness" by the US in its dealings with Pakistan and India, the daily reported.

An official statement issued by the Prime Minister's office said Pakistan-India relations had figured in Gilani's discussions with Gates but did not say whether the Premier had said Islamabad could not guarantee there would not be more Mumbai-like attacks.

The statement quoted Gilani as saying that "Pakistan is committed to peace in the region and, in this context, his government is making sincere efforts to resume the composite dialogue process with India."

While in India, Gates had warned that Pakistan-based militants with links to al-Qaeda were planning strikes in India with the hope that retaliation would lead to a new conflict between the two countries. Gates also said that New Delhi might not show restraint as it had after the Mumbai attacks in 2008.

According to the official statement, Gilani "regretted that the response from (India) has not been encouraging."

"The relations between India and Pakistan should not become hostage to the activities of terrorists which (are) the common enemy. For lasting peace in the region, both countries should resolve the core issues, including Kashmir and water dispute," he said.

India put the composite dialogue with Pakistan on hold in the wake of the Mumbai attacks. It has linked the resumption of the peace process to Pakistan taking action against the perpetrators of the terrorist assault.

Though JuD chief Saeed was placed under house arrest shortly after the Mumbai attacks in 2008, he was freed on the orders of the Lahore High Court last year.
The government is yet to challenge his release in the Supreme Court despite a pledge to do so.

Contrary to Gilani's statements during his meeting with Gates, the Pakistan government has not issued any formal notification banning the JuD, which has been declared a front for the outlawed LeT by the UN Security Council.

India should not guarantee that there would not be attacks of pakistan if there are terrorists attacks from pak based organizations ( Another word - Non State Actors)

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^
This indeed is a bit of worry...I can understand Gilani statement as more of pressure tactics on India to delink terror with Composite Dialogue however seems like South Asia is sitting on a time bomb...I hope there is nothing like mumbai or else the region will see its worst war that will cripple everything....

What Gilani seems to be missing is that its not Indians who are sitting in India and planning attacks on Pakistan by sending some fanatics across the border. Its not like Indian soil is being used to plan attacks in Pakistan... I have full sympathy with people of Pakistan on these terror attacks but how can we ignore the above mentioned contrasting differences between Mumbai Attacks and Terror attacks in Pakistan???

One must understand that there were series of bomb blasts in India before Mumbai but mumbai attack was very different and has proven to be the last straw to break Camel's back.....Any more such attack i can ensure if GOI won't act people themselves will move towards Pak with Arrow and Bows(if need be)..In other words no govt. would be able to ignore public pressure to retaliate....and GOP will face the same dilemna....

god know what will be the result

but something worst will be

can some one read please 26-11 thread here on our forum.there was huge propegenda harm hate threats there but today after long time we see nothing.

one of indian member say there .if this attack from pak then god bless pakistan.

yes he was right god bless pakistan forever.:D

these topics are most reading here MRCA LCA PAK-FA BOMBAY ATTACKS .i feel bor now from these yaar i was kid when its start

I am not for war even if something similar happens. The scale of Mumbai was large purely because we have almost nothing available to counter such attack. It will not be of same scale now, as lessons have been learnt.

I am not for war even if something similar happens. The scale of Mumbai was large purely because we have almost nothing available to counter such attack. It will not be of same scale now, as lessons have been learnt.

and i hope its never ever happen on planet earth again ever.:)

Pakistan is not facing Mumbai like attacks almost every day. We also have faced terror attacks, Mumbai was different. The entire city of 20 million people - our financial capital - was shut down for three days.

I don't want to be seen like comparing the magnitude of different terror attacks - all loss of life in every terror attack is saddening - However, the effect of 26/11 on the Mumbai psyche was huge.

I dont think such a statement really matters to the Indian security establishment. We have taken steps to secure ourselves irrespective of what Pakistan may or may not be capable of doing.

'Gilani's remark might be due to domestic compulsion'

STAFF WRITER 21:23 HRS IST
Bangalore, Jan 22 (PTI) External Affairs Minister S M Krishna today indicated Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani's remark that his country cannot guarantee there would not be a repeat of the 26/11 Mumbai terror strike in India might be on account of domestic political compulsions.

Statements..sometimes...are made out of compulsions of their local political developments", Krishna, who initially declined to comment till he saw the full text of the reported statement, said later.

"So, we will have to take an overview of the sum total of the assessment that's made by our (External Affairs) department and our defence experts and then we will have to proceed on those lines", he told reporters here.

He said Pakistan had nothing to be fearful about India.

"We don't have any grand designs. We would like our relationship with Pakistan on an even keel and we work towards that".

Source : fullstory

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom