What's new

Cancer behind 70% deaths in India's atomic energy hubs

rana shamsher

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

MUMBAI: Cancer caused almost 70% of the 3,887 health-related deaths in the atomic energy hubs across the country over the last 20 years, an RTI reply has revealed. In all, 2,600 succumbed to cancer in 19 centres between 1995 and 2014.

The query to the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), which, like the others, is under the Department of Atomic Energy, had another shocking revelation: 255 employees took their own lives while in harness in the same period, meaning an average of almost one every month over 20 years. Investigations showed they were mostly over prolonged illness or family problems.

Cancer is among the top ten killers in India, and accounts for around 7% of the roughly 9.5 million annual deaths, as has been estimated by the Centre's ongoing Million Deaths Study.

"But such high cancer mortality (as in the DAE centres) is alarming and needs to be analyzed further to check if it occurred among people who were in touch with radioactive material or among the non-scientific staff," said Dr Altaf Patel, a senior physician and former teacher at J J Hospital, Byculla, about the data.

Collateral damage folks..................

If true, that is some serious problem.

The data was procured by activist Chetan Kothari. TOI repeatedly tried to contact BARC's head of media relations R K Singh, but could not get a response.

Dr Shashank Joshi, senior endocrinologist and president of the Association of Physicians of India, said there is an established link between cancer and radiation. "However, I am a bit sceptical of this data because it's difficult to establish the cause-and-effect correlation without studying the cases."

A senior oncologist with Tata Memorial Hospital in Parel was also sceptical. The death certificates in the cases need to be closely studied, he said. "A cancer patient can die of a number of causes. How can we say 70% died due to cancer?" he asked.

Another oncologist pointed out that the data says the deaths occurred while the people were still in employment. "Cancer is a disease of the old. If it occurred in so many people below 60, it is a matter of concern."

Dr Joshi added that the incidence of cancer is rising across the world. "If the BARC data shows such high cancer mortality, it calls for stringent safety standards."

Collateral damage folks..................

Most of the deceased in the report were between 29 and 50. Several centres have not dwelt on the reason behind the suicides or how various other illnesses were contracted by the deceased.

"A majority of death of its gazetted officers reported in the DAE centres across the country was found to have been caused by cancer and not radiation. It is impossible to trace one single factor as being responsible for the cancer," said a retired senior BARC scientist.

If a person is exposed to radiation, he or she has got more chances of getting cancer.

Dr Shashank Joshi, senior endocrinologist and president of the Association of Physicians of India, said there is an established link between cancer and radiation. "However, I am a bit sceptical of this data because it's difficult to establish the cause-and-effect correlation without studying the cases."
Good point.

The data was procured by activist Chetan Kothari.
You killed your own thread. :tsk:

TOI repeatedly tried to contact BARC's head of media relations R K Singh, but could not get a response.
Then what is the source of the BARC employees killing themselves - one in every month for 20 years? :what:

Good point.

Then what is the source of the BARC employees killing themselves - one in every month for 20 years? :what:

i thought he gave info not trying to kill any thing.

Its a data, every one knows that government's are hiding true facts and figures, if some one's dig out those facts and figures they start pretending that nothing is happening

i thought he gave info not trying to kill any thing.
:) That was a light hearted comment - not a taunt. He gave both sides of the story, making the point of discussing moot.

There is nothing to agree or disagree to this anymore. Both sides are equally valid.

1. Casualties may be high, so stringent controls are necessary - True.

2. All casualties need not be due to cancer - True.

How does one debate this now? :azn:

I did not wish to insult. No offence. Thanks :)

if this thing happening, its mean there is should be lack of professionalism, thats why this is happening

Good point.

Source? :woot: dare u question a Activist?. Ever wondered why Nuclear power plants by kudankulam and jaitapur has always been a hot topic while the once at kavvadi has remained a bit silent.

:) That was a light hearted comment - not a taunt. He gave both sides of the story, making the point of discussing moot.

There is nothing to agree or disagree to this anymore. Both sides are equally valid.

1. Casualties may be high, so stringent controls are necessary - True.

2. All casualties need not be due to cancer - True.

How does one debate this now? :azn:

I did not wish to insult. No offence. Thanks :)

giving both side point of view, its good. this is fair post and tell us what government do and what happening at there

workers are suffer and public in dark, this is insane

Good one!

its mean india don't have the capability to handle Nuclear material, so why they made deal with Australia and put their own peoples life in danger

That is one fine, which is why I 'Thank'ed his post.
but mate, i think it does not mean that post is killed, i thought this thing gave us the right to make debate and put pressure on government if they don't handle these things, please quit it

so sad, these peoples commit suicide..:(

Punjab has got the largest number of cancer cases in India but has no nuclear powerplants.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom