What's new

Canadian man sentenced to death in first instance

Schellenberg trial shows Canada's arbitrary view of rule of law

Source:Global Times Published: 2019/1/14

Canadian drug smuggler Robert Lloyd Schellenberg was sentenced to death on Monday by the Intermediate People's Court of Dalian, Liaoning Province. This is the latest ruling after the Liaoning Provincial High People's Court sent back the case and the Intermediate People's Court of Dalian opened a public retrial. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau accused China of "arbitrarily" applying death penalty to Canadian on Monday evening, Beijing Time.

Drug trafficking is a felony in China. Since the beginning of this century, many foreign citizens have been sentenced to death for smuggling drugs in China. Among them, at least six were Japanese. When Pakistani-British citizen Akmal Shaikh was sentenced to death in 2009, his case aroused wide attention from Western media. Then British prime minister Gordon Brown personally interceded for him, yet Shaikh was eventually executed.

Schellenberg's trial happened after the arrest of Chinese tech giant Huawei's senior executive Meng Wanzhou. Some Canadian and Western media immediately linked the case with that of Meng's, arguing Beijing is putting pressure on Ottawa through the case. This unreasonable speculation is a rude contempt toward Chinese law.

Before the court announced the verdict on Monday, many Western media outlets had speculated that Schellenberg could face the death sentence. They arrived at the conclusion after understanding China's Criminal Law and the previous rulings of drug smugglers. The amount of meth that Schellenberg had jointly smuggled was too large.

However, Trudeau's words suggested that Canada views the verdict from a value perspective, not a judicial one, and used Canadian law as reference. Canadian law doesn't have the death penalty, while China's Criminal Law clearly stipulates that drug smugglers could face the death sentence. Public opinion in Canada has claimed recently that China is "politicizing" Schellenberg's case, but what Canada is doing is actually politicizing law.

Western centrism has been very obvious in recent disputes between China and Canada. Whatever Canada does, it is the rule of law, but whatever China does is not. Canadian elites are feeling so righteous with this double standard, and it is time for them to wake up from such cultural and value narcissism.

Schellenberg's case has received much attention from the West. Some people may misread the case, but an important message will be delivered to Canada and the West: drug smuggling faces higher risks in China than in the West because the death sentence awaits the risk-taker here. The trial will also send the message that China won't yield to outside pressure in implementing its law.

The trial of Schellenberg shows China practicing its judicial sovereignty. Western media should cover this case responsibly to avoid misleading potential offenders of Chinese law. Schellenberg's trial is not a "political verdict." Otherwise, if there were no special political reason, would it be okay to smuggle drugs in China? Of course not.

Canada seems to be bewitched recently and is keen to draw the US and other Western countries over to its side to speak for it, as if that could make China yield. This is an underestimation of Chinese law and China's national will. When it comes to China's own laws and national interests, the country's perseverance is unbreakable.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1135762.shtml

Have you ever had the pleasure of studying Chinese jurisprudence? Or is it a treat being saved up for the rain that will last forty days and forty nights?

The less said the better. Just glad Hong Kong got to keep its judicial independence (common law and all) after the handover....because that does bear some effect on me and real people I know and love.

• The earlier sentence was for 15 years. This is the sentence on judicial review on appeal.

How does that even work, quite befuddling. The guy got sentenced already, thats where it ends here. Like if there is new evidence (that is the basis for sentencing and crime is serious enough etc) that comes to light....that starts a process in the larger civilised world. If there is no such evidence, then dbl jeopardy applies as facts remain the same.

But apparently none of that is needed, just a judge deciding that the previous sentence was too "lenient"....quick retrial... and boom death sentence.

@jbgt90

The less said the better. Just glad Hong Kong got to keep its judicial independence (common law and all) after the handover....because that does bear some effect on me and real people I know and love.

How does that even work, quite befuddling. The guy got sentenced already, thats where it ends here. Like if there is new evidence (that is the basis for sentencing and crime is serious enough etc) that comes to light....that starts a process in the larger civilised world. If there is no such evidence, then dbl jeopardy applies as facts remain the same.

But apparently none of that is needed, just a judge deciding that the previous sentence was too "lenient"....quick retrial... and boom death sentence.

@jbgt90

You didn't get the mystery ingredient, did you? It was the defendant who appealed against the harsh 15 year sentence!

Waiting for your reaction. . .

This is political. A US-Canada conspiracy and state-sponsored kidnapping.

Trump says he could intervene in the case against Huawei CFO if it helps US-China deal
  • U.S. President Donald Trump said he would intervene in the Justice Department's case against Huawei's Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou if it would serve national security interests or help close a trade deal with China.
  • Meng was arrested in Canada Dec. 1 and has been accused by the United States of misleading multinational banks about Iran-linked transactions, putting the banks at risk of violating U.S. sanctions.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/12/hua...ould-intervene-if-it-helps-us-china-deal.html

The Canadian case is criminal. The guy exhausted all judicial venues and eventually sentenced to death.

That's a strong reminder to all potential criminals. Your being Canadian or USer does not give you any privileges.

@Chinese-Dragon , you had guessed right :enjoy:

You didn't get the mystery ingredient, did you? It was the defendant who appealed against the harsh 15 year sentence!

Yep ... very bad timing in hindsight...how was he supposed to know this political stuff would happen right after.

I mean everyone pretty much appeals...his lawyer would probably have thought and advised he could get the sentence way down....probably has done so on regular basis with clients before.

I am not up to scratch on Chinese drug law, obviously the guy wouldnt have appealed if there is no history of leniency being shown before in similar cases....instead he gets a worse penalty in the end for his efforts.

Huh, which part in my sentence shows me being loyal to china?

Please point out why u feel the need to accuse me a false flagger or so u mean i should not support china for doing in accordance to their local law?

Dont believe me? Try smuggling drugs in my country.
I know Malaysia also suffered a lot with free drugs trade imposed by UK,so we China,Malaysia,Singapore as well take drugs dealing very seriously,no mercy on drug dealers.
They bring death to themselves!

Not about this comment...your behavior in General...
I see you everywhere defending CN whatever in wrong or not... While not being at the same lvl when it comes to past Malaysian affairs...

So, i was just wondering...

As for the Drug dealer... I don't care... Death penalty is also what most wish...
But with this issue it's not about Death penalty or not... You know why... or at least I hope you do...

It's all a circus/Political game with Canada and the Huawei affair... so...in the End..; a shame of a behavior...
4 years of judgment administrative work and he got 15 years... and today in few hours...he got life...
What a "Lucky day"...
NO, with 222.kgs ice drugs, he is dead for sure ,the first sentence is too gentil.
Well you are free to say and talk whatever you want,typical western behaviours,like No live show of CHANG E 4 is because China is afraid of being failed.Sure why not.
China Hu Kou family registration can be called Hook You.Why not!

Every drug smuggler should be given such a punishment! They ruin lives and they dont deserve to be kept in jails on tax payers money! When you SMUGGLE...it means you know it is against the law and if caught you will face the consequences...So face it!
222kg ice kgs drugs JESUS!

Gulity or not Chinese Justice System is a complete joke.
Good,you could involve yourself with drugs in China see if it is a joke or not!

China 20 years is the longest punishment,not like US yankees they have 250 years or 87 years in prison fir a single criminal,
In China life in prision means 15 to 20 years in total or more severe is.death penalty.

In India, as a foreigner, one is susceptible to (rape) and death even if one has done nothing wrong.

In China, one is susceptible to execution if one is a master drug criminal with a record of repeated drug offense.

No wonder China is one of the largest tourist destinations in the world. For it is much safer.

As for the Canadian case: It is a criminal case.

1. Crime was committed in China, not in a third country (unlike what Canada has done with the alleged crime of the Huawei CFO).

2. Criminal was arrested in China, not in a third country (unlike how the US kidnaps and transits alleged criminals from third countries into no one's lands such as Guantanamo in which no law (national or international) applies.

3. Criminal was tried in China, went through the legal process. And he was eventually, and as expected, found guilty.

The short lesson: If one is a drug criminal, better not to come to (Greater) China, or better, to East Asia.

Just stay in Detroit and do drugs.

Last edited:
Yep ... very bad timing in hindsight...how was he supposed to know this political stuff would happen right after.

I mean everyone pretty much appeals...his lawyer would probably have thought and advised he could get the sentence way down....probably has done so on regular basis with clients before.

I am not up to scratch on Chinese drug law, obviously the guy wouldnt have appealed if there is no history of leniency being shown before in similar cases....instead he gets a worse penalty in the end for his efforts.
He can.still appeal though and his death penalty will need final verification by People s Supreme Court of CHINA in Beijing before any things happened.
I do not know if XI has the right to pardon him from dealth penalty but even if he has ,it is not possible for Chineses to accept it.
Better make the wish lists before the death execution.

He can.still appeal though and his death penalty will need final verification by People s Supreme Court of CHINA in Beijing before any things happened.
I do not know if XI has the right to pardon him from dealth penalty but even if he has ,it is not possible for Chineses to accept it.

No such pardon system in Mainland China.

China has experienced Opium Wars, so, zero tolerance on big offenses regardless of being citizen or foreigner from an allegedly privileged country.

And I am happy about that.

In India, as a foreigner, one is susceptible to (rape) and death even if one has done nothing wrong.

In China, one is susceptible to execution if one is a master drug criminal with a record of repeated drug offense.

No wonder China is one of the largest tourist destinations in the world. For it is much safer.

As for the Canadian case: It is a criminal case.

1. Crime was committed in China, not in a third country (unlike what Canada has done with the alleged crime of the Huawei CFO).

2. Criminal was arrested in China, not in a third country (unlike how the US kidnaps and transits alleged criminals from third countries into no one's lands such as Guantanamo in which no law (national or international) applies.

3. Criminal was tried in China, went through the legal process. And he was eventually, and as expected, found guilty.

The short lesson: If one is a drug criminal, better not to come to (Greater) China, or better, to East Asia.

Stay in Detroit.

Westerners do not understand how much China hates drugs and drugs dealers,UK lanched Opium war against CHINA to make CHINA Qing empire legalized drugs trade in CHINA to compensate their trade deficit and to weak CHINA more and poison Chineses while at the same time UK banned drugs in their own territory!

No such pardon system in Mainland China.

China has experienced Opium Wars, so, zero tolerance on big offenses regardless of being citizen or foreigner from an allegedly privileged country.

And I am happy about that.
Drugs issues are severely punished in CHINA.

Last edited:
Xi has no right to pardon him but for sake of Meng wanzhou , China can make an exceptional and allow his appeal to succeed and avoid death penalty. But that will depend on Canadian. He will be put to dealth immediately if Meng wanzhou is send to US. And even he ecapes death penalty. He will be jailed for long time and suffer in jail for his crime. :enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom