What's new

Can Pakistan successfully build Engines for Tanks and Jet Fighters?

They are! Not much countries can independently development high power engine transmission for tanks, ships and aircraft.

I am talking about engines not turbines, yes higher powered Tank Engines are difficult but not impossible, also not financially beneficial for a country who will only produce 200 tanks per year.

I am talking about engines not turbines, yes higher powered Tank Engines are difficult but not impossible, also not financially beneficial for a country who will only produce 200 tanks per year.
Indeed, I am talking about engines. How many countries can produce 1500HP engines. Hardly, even Turkey, South Korea tank uses foreign import or license production.

like Sir Sheikh Rasheed said, if you just want half a liter of milk - you should not have a cow at your house.

Yes this is hard. We can't even make railway engines. We should start from basics, It will take decades to mature in this field with enough funds

Defence and Civil tech are two different things and Pakistan has been expanding her Defence R&D infrastructure for decades...

Then why has China been struggling?

China has been perfecting the tech to match certain parameters and fit on certain platforms...
That's not struggling, that's getting closer to perfecting a tech which does need time and investment...

Respectfully Sir, I don’t understand the logic. Different countries specialize in different fields.

For example Switzerland can make the best Watches in the world but not the aeroplanes. Main ingredient in making a nuclear bomb is the fissile material. Thus if you can process spent fuel to make Plutonium or enrich Uranium, or acquire sufficient fissile material one way or another, you can make the nuclear bomb.

India has demonstrated her capability to launch geo-synchronous satellite thru fully indigenous GSLV-D5 rocket. It is clear that Indian has somehow gained access to cryogenic technology which was heretofore denied to India by Russia. Notwithstanding this I came across a news item that DRDO has decided to abandon Kaveri Aircraft Engine program.

http://www.oneindia.com/bengaluru/o...roject-gtre-gets-revival-package-1565505.html
Excelent post.

Updated: Sun, Jan 11, 2015, 12:06 [IST]
That's when the post was last updated. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Plus the thread is about Pakistan.

Please keep it clean. Thanks.
Sure sir. The quality of the post was such that i cud not refrain myself from admiring it. Secondly, due to the available space, some portion of the post had to be deleted which made it look like it was not abvt pakistan, which is not the case. Please go through the original post.

Updated: Sun, Jan 11, 2015, 12:06 [IST]
That's when the post was last updated. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Plus the thread is about Pakistan.

Please keep it clean. Thanks.

Indeed, the thread is about Pakistan not India. I brought Indian into it only to point out technical difficulties involved in designing and manufacturing a jet engine ‘ab initio’.

I would just to add that the latest news I have come across is that Indian Minitry of Defence is willing to overlook the fact highlighted in an internal report by the MoD which concluded that Rolls Royce paid bribes worth $75 million to secure orders for Adour Mk 871-07 aero engines for the Hawk advanced jet trainer aircraft being produced by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited under license from BAE Systems.

An MoD source said that Rolls-Royce is "coming up a in a big way" to tap the engine market here in addition to joining hands with DRDO to jointly develop a gas-turbine engine. Rolls-Royce opened a new defense service delivery centre in Bangalore on April 20, 2017; the first outside the U.S. and U.K. The Centre will provide engineering support and solutions to an estimated 750 Rolls-Royce engines used by the Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.

"The support centre is big enough to meet all Jaguar, Mirage, Sea King and other helicopter programs," an official at HAL said. "They (Rolls-Royce) have good support of U.S., and this will help them in many ways."

It appears that cooperation between the Rolls Royce and India on engine development would be in addition to the joint venture between 'Safran Aircraft Engines' of France and DRDO, to finish the indigenously developed Kaveri engine.

In Urdu there is saying which translates into “when you really need it, you will call even a donkey your father”. Main reason for the above being that India requires about 5,000 aero engines over the next several years to meet the needs of 300 to 400 fighter jets and 800 to 1,000 helicopters. Rolls Royce have the technical know-how that India badly needs.

Should Pakistan decide to develop an aero-engine or even a tank engine, she would need substantial technical help from a foreign source. Only countries that possess such knowledge are the US, UK, France, Russia & China.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom