Can Pakistan MIRV its missile?

A.Rahman

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

Background info:
Nuclear weapons delivery— the technology and systems used to bring a nuclear weapon to its target—is an important aspect of nuclear weapons relating both to nuclear weapon design and nuclear strategy.

Historically the first method of delivery, and the method used in the two nuclear weapons actually used in warfare, is as a gravity bomb, dropped from bomber aircraft. This method is usually the first developed by countries as it does not place many restrictions on the size of the weapon, and weapon miniaturization is something which requires considerable weapons design knowledge. It does, however, limit the range of attack, response time to an impending attack, and number of weapons which can be fielded at any given time.

More preferable from a strategic point of view are nuclear weapons mounted onto a missile, which can use a ballistic trajectory to deliver a warhead over the horizon. While even short range missiles allow for a faster and less vulnerable attack, the development of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) and submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs) has allowed some nations to plausibly deliver missiles anywhere on the globe with a high likelihood of success. More advanced systems, such as multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles (MIRVs) allow multiple warheads to be launched at a number of targets from any one missile, reducing the chance of any successful missile defense. Today, missiles are by far the most common among systems designed for delivery of nuclear weapons. To make a warhead small enough to fit onto a missile, though, can be a difficult task.

"Tactical" weapons (see above) have involved the most variety of delivery types, including not only gravity bombs and missiles but also artillery shells, land mines, and nuclear depth charges and torpedoes for anti-submarine warfare. An atomic mortar was also tested at one time by the United States. Small, two-man portable tactical weapons (somewhat misleadingly referred to as suitcase bombs), such as the Special Atomic Demolition Munition, have been developed, although the difficulty to combine sufficient yield with portability limits their military utility

I have this question:

Does Pakistan has the ability to MIRV its missiles??. Can Pakistan MIRV its Shaheen-II missile??

thank you for your time.

To my knowledge, this is currently not possible in Pakistan's case. It is a highly sophisticated technology residing in US and Russian hands only I believe. Multiple warheads on a single missile would take Pakistan quite some time, that is, if it decides to take that route.

Originally posted by A.Rahman@Mar 22 2006, 06:04 AM
Hi,

Background info:
I have this question:

Does Pakistan has the ability to MIRV its missiles??. Can Pakistan MIRV its Shaheen-II missile??
thank you for your time.
[post=7537]Quoted post[/post]​

The Primary Reason that MIRV's were developed was because the Soviet Union and the U.S. had to restrict the number of Ballistic Missiles in their possession. Therefore a good way to "cheat" was to simply put more warheads on each Missile.

Second Reason was that a large number of smaller warheads were more effective than just a huge yielding single weapon. I think it has something to do with the fact as distance from blast doubles, energy goes down by a 2 squared?

Personally, i don't think making a MIRV is really that compleated. It's basically alot of ballisitac missile's warheads stuck in one. All you got to do is have a different tracking/signaling etc system for each warheads. Instead of launching 10 different missiles, we can just lauch 1 MIRV and then order the warheads to lauch and then guide them. A bit compleated but pakistan can do it, espically with the help of china.

There were a comple of reports a few years back that Pakistan had a MIRV version of the Shaheen 2 and Ghauri 3 but, was only going to test it when India tested theres. Currently in the present day anyone that can master the technology of a Ballistic Missile can in the future give it MIRV camabilities. All 5 major Nuclear powers have this technology and China is willing to help us aquire it (if we have not already). Once this technology is masterd it will give us the capabilities to target many different cities at once with a low yield nuke. Even in conventional means it can deter the enemy.

Ukraine has the know how for MIRV technology why not ask them for assistance?

Pakistan cannot yet develop mirv tech.For it to develop such tech it needs to focus onlaunching and placing its satellites by it selves.since the mirv bus tech is very similar to launching a payload of satellites and placing each satellite in a different orbit. Only if pak focusses on its civilian space program, only then the resources spent for developing such a tech is justifiable.

Sid said:
To my knowledge, this is currently not possible in Pakistan's case. It is a highly sophisticated technology residing in US and Russian hands only I believe. Multiple warheads on a single missile would take Pakistan quite some time, that is, if it decides to take that route.
All members of the N5 have demonstrated the MIRV technology. However, only China has yet to deploye MIRV systems; still preferring the single warhead per launcher scenario.

I concur with Sigatoka's view.

Personally, i don't think making a MIRV is really that compleated. It's basically alot of ballisitac missile's warheads stuck in one.
Yes, which involves in shrinkiong the warhead size.
All you got to do is have a different tracking/signaling etc system for each warheads. Instead of launching 10 different missiles, we can just lauch 1 MIRV and then order the warheads to lauch and then guide them.
First, you need to have a re-entry vehicle, then you need to have a fairly accurate missile computer which can target the warheads independently.
A bit compleated but pakistan can do it, espically with the help of china.
China may/may not have MIRV's. They have mastered the re-entry. But guidance and motors for individual warheads is anyone's guess.

There were a comple of reports a few years back that Pakistan had a MIRV version of the Shaheen 2 and Ghauri 3 but, was only going to test it when India tested theres.
Outright and blatant lie. There are reports that suggest that Pakistan is still trying to miniaturize its warhead to fit in to the missiles and now you
talk about existance of MIRV several years back.

Currently in the present day anyone that can master the technology of a Ballistic Missile can in the future give it MIRV camabilities.
It aint that easy as you seem to propose.

Once this technology is masterd it will give us the capabilities to target many different cities at once with a low yield nuke. Even in conventional means it can deter the enemy.
Many different cities? You have to really read about MIRV and how the individual warheads are released and guided.

:pakistan:Pakistan can definately MIRV its missile if need be but in the current senario and geo political and economic situation i dont think its possible.

MIRV technology is extremely difficult to perfect since it requires embodiment of several missiles in a single one. Even in current situation Russia having problems with its MIRV Bulava missiles!!

Back
Top Bottom