What's new

Can Obama Solve The Kashmir Issue?

kingfisher99

BANNED
Reaction score

:coffee::coffee:

Posted by: Myra MacDonald

Barack Obama has hit a raw nerve in India by suggesting the United States should try to help resolve the Kashmir dispute so that Pakistan can focus on hunting down Islamist militants on its north-western frontier — who in turn threaten stability in Afghanistan — rather than worrying about tensions with India on its eastern border. India is extremely sensitive to any suggestion of outside interference in Kashmir, which it sees as a bilateral dispute, though Pakistan itself has long chafed against this position.

“The most important thing we’re going to have to do with respect to Afghanistan, is actually deal with Pakistan,” Obama said in an interview last week with MSNBC. “And we’ve got work with the newly elected government there in a coherent way that says, terrorism is now a threat to you. Extremism is a threat to you. We should probably try to facilitate a better understanding between Pakistan and India and try to resolve the Kashmir crisis so that they can stay focused not on India, but on the situation with those militants.”

On the face of it, the comments are not particularly dramatic. For months now, U.S. analysts have been saying the solution to Afghanistan lies in Pakistan, not just because al Qaeda and the Taliban are based there, but also because they believe Pakistan will never fully turn its back on Islamist militants as long as it thinks it can use them against India.

Nor are they particularly new. Back in July, Obama said the situation in Afghanistan might be made easier if the United States worked to improve trust between India and Pakistan. He has also accused Pakistan of misusing U.S. military aid meant to help it fight al Qaeda and the Taliban to prepare for war against India.

The sensitivity, however, lies in the fact that the comments were made at all by a man who opinion polls show as well ahead of John McCain before Tuesday’s presidential election.

“As Obamamania grips much of the world, including India, the man who might become the next President of the United States has ideas on Jammu and Kashmir that should cause some concern to New Delhi,” wrote Indian analyst C Raja Mohan in the Indian Express. “Given its vastly improved relations with the United States and Pakistan, India has no reason to press the panic button. Yet it should be quickly flagging its concerns with the foreign policy team of Senator Barack Obama, should he be declared the Forty-fourth President of the United States on Tuesday night.”

While India would agree that a Pakistan secure within its own borders would be good for the region, “India’s problem with the Obama thesis is in the simplistic trade-off it sets up between Kashmir and Afghanistan,” he said. American activism could backfire by undermining the current bilateral peace process, convince the Pakistan Army to harden its stance on Kashmir, and give a fresh boost to militancy there.

In contrast, Obama’s comments were welcomed by Kashmiris, both inside the Kashmir Valley and among the Kashmiri expatriate community in the United States. “I welcome the growing interest of Barrack Obama in resolving the Kashmir dispute,” Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, chairman of the separatist Hurriyat alliance, told the Greater Kashmir newspaper in Srinagar. ”The US and international community is gradually recognizing that resolution of Kashmir dispute was imperative for peace in South Asia.”

So who is right? Arguably some of the greatest gains in the peace process were made behind-the-scenes in bilateral talks hidden from the glare of international attention. The agreement to call a ceasefire on the Line of Control, the heavily militarised frontline dividing Kashmir, for example, was made in November 2003, before the formal peace process was even launched in January 2004. But were these gains enough?

And how will Obama’s election rhetoric translate into policy if he becomes the next president of the United States?

Last edited by a moderator:
Obama to encourage India, Pak to sign CTBT, resolve Kashmir
Indo-Asian News Service
Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:13 PM (Washington)

Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama says if elected he would encourage India and Pakistan to ratify the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) and resolve the Kashmir problem to reduce nuclear dangers in South Asia.

Accusing President George Bush's policies towards the two neighbours for letting "grave nuclear risks to grow in South Asia since their 1998 nuclear tests," he offered these as part of a five point plan to reduce nuclear risks in the region.

"The best way to reduce nuclear risks in South Asia is to reduce incentives to test and deploy new nuclear weapons," Obama told the journal Arms Control Today when asked how would he work to reduce the risks posed by India's and Pakistan's nuclear arsenals and programmes.

"My two amendments in the Hyde Act sought to accomplish these goals," he said explaining what have been called "poison pill" and "killer amendments" to the enabling US law on the India-US civil nuclear deal.

"Just as I will work with the US Senate to secure ratification of the CTBT at the earliest practical date, I will prioritise diplomatic efforts with India and Pakistan to encourage them to move beyond their moratorium on nuclear testing toward the ratification of the treaty."

Obama eventually voted for the Hyde Act and now supports the nuclear deal, but one of his rejected amendments considered a deal breaker by New Delhi opposed giving India the right to build strategic fuel reserves for its imported nuclear reactors.

"The Bush administration's policies toward both India and Pakistan have allowed grave nuclear risks to grow in South Asia since the 1998 nuclear tests," Obama said in his replies to a presidential questionnaire by Arms Control Today on arms control and non-proliferation issues.

"I will work to reduce the region's nuclear dangers in a number of ways," he said proposing an expansion of "the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) from its current focus on stopping illicit nuclear shipments to eradicating nuclear black market networks, like the remnants of the (notorious Pakistani scientist) Abdul Qadeer Khan organization."

Obama said he would also "continue my work begun in the Senate to secure all dangerous weapons and materials against terrorist threats worldwide, including in South Asia."

"I will encourage India and Pakistan to collaborate with IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) experts to maximise security at nuclear power plants and related facilities.

"Finally, I will continue support of ongoing Indian and Pakistani efforts to resolve the Kashmir problem in order to address the political roots of the arms race between India and Pakistan," Obama said.

Arms Control Today said Wednesday it had asked both major party presidential nominees to answer its questions on arms control and non-proliferation issues. But Republican presidential nominee John McCain did not respond.:enjoy:

US should help resolve Kashmir issue: Obama: ‘Militants, not India, biggest threat to Pakistan’

By Anwar Iqbal

WASHINGTON, Nov 2: The United States should try to resolve the Kashmir dispute, says US presidential front-runner Barack Obama while backing American efforts to promote a better understanding between India and Pakistan.

“We should probably try to facilitate a better understanding between Pakistan and India and try to resolve the Kashmir crisis so that they can stay focussed not on India, but on the situation

with those militants,” said Mr Obama in an interview to MSNBC.

After the Sept 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, the Bush administration adopted a new approach towards South Asia, urging Pakistan to review its traditional defence strategy that regards India as the main threat to its interests in the region.

Instead, the Americans want Pakistan to refocus its attention on fighting the militants operating along the Afghan border.

Although initiated by the outgoing Republican administration, Senator Obama, a Democrat, also backs this policy.

“We also have to make the case that the biggest threat to Pakistan now is not India which has been the historical enemy,” he said. “It is actually militants within their borders,” said the senator in a separate interview with CNN.

In another interview on Sept 25, Mr Obama had said that if elected president, he would “continue support of ongoing Indian Pakistani efforts to resolve Kashmir problem … to address the political roots of the arms race between India and Pakistan.”

The statements won him an immediate praise from the Kashmiri American Centre whose Executive Director Ghulam Nabi Fai urged India to listen to the international community and resolve the 62-year-old dispute.

The Indian-American community, however, reacted angrily, urging Mr Obama to focus on domestic issues.

But the senator’s statements reflect the fear that the dispute over Kashmir would encourage militancy in South Asia and would prevent Pakistan from focusing its attention on fighting terrorists.

The Americans also feel that any militancy involving Muslims ultimately attracts anti-American elements that use it to promote their own agenda, as Al Qaeda did in Afghanistan.

In his interview to MSNBC, Mr Obama also noted that the militancy in Afghanistan cannot be defeated without Pakistan’s help. The US has already deployed 26,000 troops and plans to send thousands more.

“The most important thing we’re going to have to do with respect to Afghanistan is actually deal with Pakistan. And we’ve got work with the newly elected government there in a coherent way that says terrorism is now a threat to you. Extremism is a threat to you.”

Besides encouraging Pakistan to fight terrorists, the US presidential hopeful also stressed the need to support the new democratic setup in the country.

“And, we’ve got to say to the Pakistani people, we’re not just going to fund a dictator in order for us to feel comfortable with who we’re dealing with,” he said. “We’re going to respect democracy. But, we do have expectations in terms of being a partner in its terrorism.”

Senator Obama also acknowledged that the Afghan government, and not Pakistan, was responsible for most of the problems the country was facing.

“We have a combination of a government that is not seen as fully legitimate all throughout Afghanistan. It’s not particularly capable in terms of delivering services right now. You’ve got a very powerful narco-terrorism or intersection of narco-trafficking with terrorism.”

The terrain also made it difficult for anti-terrorism forces to move out the Taliban and Al Qaeda from the area, he added.

“And then you’ve got Pakistan, and a border that is porous and very difficult. So, it’s not going to be easy, but here’s what I know.”

Senator Obama said that if elected, he will pursue a policy that would not allow Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda to establish safe havens to plot to kill Americans and train troops. “There’s no dispute that that’s taking place right now.”

“And so, we’ve got to make Afghanistan stable enough and focused enough on controlling its own borders, that we’re not seeing the Taliban and Al Qaeda return,” he said.

“In the meantime, I think the most important thing that we’re going to have to do in addition to adding more troops, providing alternatives to farmers for the poppy trade is making sure that services are actually being delivered to the Afghan people.”

South Asia hails Obama's victory
A sand sculpture congratulating Barack Obama by Indian sand artist in Puri, India
Indians have welcomed Mr Obama's win

Governments in South Asia have given a warm reaction to Barack Obama's victory in the US presidential election.

Indian PM Manmohan Singh congratulated the US president-elect on his "extraordinary" triumph and said that ties would grow even stronger.

Pakistan's PM also congratulated Mr Obama, saying he hoped the Democrat would promote "peace and stability".

In Afghanistan, President Hamid Karzai applauded the American people "for their great decision".

Mr Singh said Barack Obama's extraordinary journey to the White House would inspire people around the world.

He asked him to visit India at the earliest opportunity.

The main opposition BJP also welcomed Mr Obama's victory, as did separatist leaders in Indian-administered Kashmir. They said they hoped that he would live up to a pre-election pledge to resolve the long-running regional dispute.

The BBC's Sanjoy Majumder in Delhi says the Indian government has been encouraged by Senator Obama's pledge to make relations with India a priority.

Prime Minister Singh has enjoyed particularly warm relations with outgoing US President George W Bush.

But our correspondent says there is optimism in Delhi that the incoming Democratic administration will not reverse the momentum and be tough on issues such as the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which India has not signed, or out-sourcing.

'Dynamic leadership'

Pakistan's Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said: "I hope that under your dynamic leadership, [the] United States will continue to be a source of global peace and new ideas for humanity.

"I look forward to more opportunities to discuss ways to further strengthen Pakistan-US relations and to promote peace and stability in our region and beyond."

Nuclear-armed Pakistan has been a key ally in Mr Bush's "war on terror".

The BBC's Barbara Plett in Islamabad say that Barak Obama's focus will remain on Pakistan's battle against Islamist militants operating along the Afghan border.

But our correspondent says his administration can be expected to broaden US engagement with Pakistan and is likely to see greater involvement with democratic forces than did the outgoing Republicans, which focused on ties with the army.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai appealed to Mr Obama to prevent civilian casualties, after it emerged that a number of villagers had been killed in a US air strike in the southern province of Kandahar.

But he added: "I hope that this new administration in the United States of America, and the fact of the massive show of concern for human beings and lack of interest in race and colour while electing the president, will go a long way in bringing the same values to the rest of world sooner or later."

Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa also sent a message of congratulations to Mr Obama.

"I am convinced that under your leadership, the United States, which has always been a beacon to the world on many an issue, will continue to provide that leadership in a re-invigorated manner," it said.
:enjoy:

i personally believe he is an honest man and inspite of the fact that i hate outside inteference in the kashmir issue.i think he could actually mediate. only mediate .the kashmir issues is still an indo pak issue which only we as two nations can solve. peaceeee.

Hello People. Obama is NOT the Promised Messiah.

He will be for Kashmiris if he solves Kashmir problem. I doubt he will pursue it now that he is elected. There is no solution since the rivers and China are involved

Regards

i believe there is a solution for everything including water sharing.just requires some political will.
regards.

Yes I agree anything is possible as they say where there is a will there is a way except when it comes to Kashmir. Incase you are unaware China to has a part of Kashmir and China has never vacated any territory till date.

Regards

Yes I agree anything is possible as they say where there is a will there is a way except when it comes to Kashmir. Incase you are unaware China to has a part of Kashmir and China has never vacated any territory till date.

Regards
i believe china does not figure in the kashmir issue and any issue with them can be resolved .its the kashmiri people who matter the most after all its their land.:police:

i believe china does not figure in the kashmir issue and any issue with them can be resolved .its the kashmiri people who matter the most after all its their land.:police:

Ya Ya and I am the King of England. Your beliefs are not important but China has a part of Kashmir and no one has the guts to tell them that.

Regards

your majesty king arthur . i cant argue on that point since that is a very dicey issue.let time speak for itself.

Back
Top Bottom