What's new

Can China get defeated ?

That's exactly my point. It wasn't a us vs vietnam war. So you, can't say america lost to vietnam. :) And america hasn't fought with any country of similar size maybe because no country wants to go on war with america? Soviet union was going to but it would have been third world war if they did and USSR collapsed before they can even use any of the cold war era equipments?

Anyways as I've said before my point is military prowess according to me is.

USA - No. 1 [Can destroy any country it wants to]
China - No. 2 [Modernising its' military really fast but still a long way to catch up with america]
Russia - No. 3 [They still can't accept that their soviet era legacy is long dead]
India - No. 4 [Strong army and modernising as well but wastes too much energy on its' west border]
UK - No. 5 [Used to be world's best military at the time of british empire but still pretty modernised]

Rest of the countries don't count. I mean they do but these nations are their own different league. Specially Top 2-3.

USA - No. 1
France - No. 2
Russia - No. 3
China - No. 4
UK - No. 5

That's exactly my point. It wasn't a us vs vietnam war. So you, can't say america lost to vietnam. :) And america hasn't fought with any country of similar size maybe because no country wants to go on war with america? Soviet union was going to but it would have been third world war if they did and USSR collapsed before they can even use any of the cold war era equipments?

Anyways as I've said before my point is military prowess according to me is.

USA - No. 1 [Can destroy any country it wants to]
China - No. 2 [Modernising its' military really fast but still a long way to catch up with america]
Russia - No. 3 [They still can't accept that their soviet era legacy is long dead]
India - No. 4 [Strong army and modernising as well but wastes too much energy on its' west border]
UK - No. 5 [Used to be world's best military at the time of british empire but still pretty modernised]

Rest of the countries don't count. I mean they do but these nations are their own different league. Specially Top 2-3.

I agree with your top 3 ranking but not how you differenciate the "league". After the top 3, I would say that France and Britain would rank #4 and #5. After that it doesn't matter. As for the "league" US is still in a league of itself. China and Russia in a league. France and England might be closer to whoever we would agree on the #6. But even China and Russia in this comparason is closer to the last place than to the US.

USA - No. 1
France - No. 2
Russia - No. 3
China - No. 4
UK - No. 5

That's an incorrect assessment. (I read the report too)

The actual agreed rankings are:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. France
5. UK

RUSSIA IS STILL #2

The first, The countries at the top which have "nuclear weapon miniaturization technology" and "ballistic missile technology".
There are 6 countries meet the conditions: USA, France, Russia, China, UK, India.

The second, The countries at the top which have "Comprehensive military-industrial complex"
There are 4 countries meet the conditions: USA, France, Russia, China.

The third, Reference to their: Nuclear size, Ballistic missile quality, Military-industrial levels.
Ranking should be:
1# USA
2# France
3# Russia
4# China
5# UK
6# India

The first, The countries at the top which have "nuclear weapon miniaturization technology" and "ballistic missile technology".
There are 6 countries meet the conditions: USA, France, Russia, China, UK, India.

The second, The countries at the top which have "Comprehensive military-industrial complex"

The third, Reference to their: Nuclear size, Ballistic missile quality, Military-industrial levels.
Ranking should be:
1# USA
2# France
3# Russia
4# China
5# UK
6# India

any respectable ranking has to take into the account of the economic base as well.

Ranking should be:
1# USA
2# France
3# Russia
4# China
5# UK
6# India

The ranking is comprehensive, taking into account all factors that affect a war including geography and economy. For example, the PLA can completely occupy France/Britain, but even with the strongest military force in the world of the time and a century ahead of the Qing Dynasty, Britain couldn't occupy more than Hong Kong.

IMO, the rankings should also consider TECHNOLOGY: the number of research papers published in physics, chemistry and engineering within a 5 year time frame, number of patents yearly, percent GDP in RD, total value of RD, industrial production as percentage of GDP, etc. Once these factors are taken into account, Britain and France vanish off the map.

China just passed Japan in economy but it's population were much larger.

^^^ and I think the fact that brits don't try to occupy more than HK showed that they are smarter than we give them credit for. It will just bleed them dry earlier.

Ranking should be:
1# USA
2# France
3# Russia
4# China
5# UK
6# India

China has the world's 3rd largest nuclear arsenal and ballistic missile inventory.

China's ballistic missiles also happen to have the world's 2nd longest ranges and employ the latest maneuvering warheads (able to penetrate anti-ballistic missiles) and MIRV technology (up to 12 were achieved in one DF-41 missile).

China also has the world's fastest-modernizing overall military, if we ignore nuclear forces.

So, most people agree that this ranking is more realistic:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. France
5. UK

China just passed Japan in economy but it's population were much larger.

^^^ and I think the fact that brits don't try to occupy more than HK showed that they are smarter than we give them credit for. It will just bleed them dry earlier.

If we take economy, technology (scientific articles, patents, RD total value, etc) as well as geography and population into account then the rankings would probably be US, China, Russia, Japan (horrendous geography good technology good population), India. UK and France have terrible geographies, populations, and only moderate technology.

to 110#

If we consider national power and war potential, doesn't consider nuclear weapons.

Ranking should be:
1st: USA
Tied for 2th: China, France, Russia
Tied for 5th: Japan, Germany, UK
Tied for 8th: Italy, Brazil, Canada, India

Last edited:
Back in the days when land power dominates, china actually have quite good geography, it's nuisance mainly comes from nomads.

Europe have horrible geography but they managed to prosper.

Back in the days when land power dominates, china actually have quite good geography, it's nuisance mainly comes from nomads.

North China is Frozen Wasteland.
Northwest China is Desert.
Southwest China is Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and Himalayas.
South China is Rainforest and Savage Hill.
East China is Sea.
-------------------------
It blocked the enemy's way, and it blocked our way too.

North China is Frozen Wasteland.
Northwest China is Desert.
Southwest China is Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and Himalayas.
South China is Rainforest and Savage Hill.
East China is Sea.
-------------------------
It blocked the enemy's way, and it blocked our way too.

I think it may be kind of good that it blocked both ways, to prevent outside from taking over in large numbers when we were down.

Compared to the near east, where empires come and go, we're pretty fortunate.

Britain had a great geography for its era: the Industrial Revolution. Why? It was an island, keeping it safe from the limited abilities of the German and French navies. It had shallow iron and coal reserves. Iron + Coal = steel. Steel + coal = boilers. Boilers mean steam engine. Steam engine means factories. Factories mean mass production of battleships and cannons.

Then came the US with even better geography: not only 2 oceans to seal off any potential invaders, not only coal and iron, but oil and fertile land. Oil means internal combustion engine. Internal combustion engine means everything that moves without being connected to a wire, like planes and cars. Fertile land means independence from food imports and now, the potential to make biofuels.

China has the geography for the next era: 1 side to ocean only to reduce risk against enemy navies, weak or neutral neighbors to the north and west, and not only coal and iron, but also the mineral reserves for the information age: Rare Earths and Uranium, used in automation, instrumentation, advanced materials, photonics, electronics, electricity generation and nuclear weapons. Our primary weakness is lack of oil and fertile land.

to 118#

Yes. Since ancient times, our enemies are mostly on the Mongolian steppe.
Now Mongolia is the only country brave enough to declare war on NATO.

Back
Top Bottom