What's new

Can Bangladesh be East Pakistan again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nobel Peace Prize is not an academic Prize. Mother Teresa won one for example.

Not an academic one.

I wasn't cagey about him being Amadiya. I don't really care what he is. Where did you get this idea from?

Muhammad Yunus (born June 28, 1940) is a Bangladeshi banker and economist. He previously was a professor of economics and is famous for his successful application of microcredit; the extension of small loans. These loans are given to entrepreneurs too poor to qualify for traditional bank loans. Yunus is also the founder of Grameen Bank. In 2006, Yunus and the bank were jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, "for their efforts to create economic and social development from below."

Please note he won the Peace Prize because of his economic marvel and his social awareness.

It was an Economic marvel with great social enhancement.Two issues rolled in one. It was not only academic but a great social innovation. Many third world countries, including India, are trying his experiment.

If that is not a great achievement, then what is?

You argue for the sake of argument and without any substance or of intellectual temper!

Here is what the Nobel Prize is all about:

Nobel bequeathed 94% of his total assets, 31 million Swedish Kronor, to establish and endow the five Nobel Prizes.

“ The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way:

The capital shall be invested by my executors in safe securities and shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind.

To benefit mankind, one has to have intellect!

It might well have been an academic "marvel", but it was not recognized as an academic marvel by the Nobel Prize people. They gave it to him for social reasons just like Mother Teresa got her Nobel Peace Prize for charity. Anyhow microcredits have been around for a long time.

Keep your hair on please, if you have any. I did not know I'd mentioned it before but I have mentioned it now, and I do believe the Bengali illiteracy played a part in the breakup, and why Mujib's propaganda was so effective. But it was only one factor. An important one though.

I also indicated that many pakistanis were illiterate also, as is a lot of South Asia. This isn't something to be ashamed of..It is a colonial relic. So don't takeit so personally.

Litrate or Illitrate... Doesnot account so much as the real role played by those who had certain goals of their own at both sides and where sure of what they are up to. Major population didnot play a part in this, only politically involved people from Bangladesh and Pakistan manupilated their resources (illitrate people mainly).

LOL. So it comes to bragging. Alright, here's one. The inventor of the number zero. Panini, Pingula, and many more. If you're still stuck on Nobel Prizes, then it'll have to be Abdus Salam. I would say in terms of intellectual discovery, his Nobel Prize was much more complicated than Tagore's and Sen's combined.

How can you be so sure about the ethnicities of Panini? In any case, the zero was first described by Brahmagupta.

How can you be so sure about the ethnicities of Panini? In any case, the zero was first described by Brahmagupta.

The inventor of the zero symbol is unknown, but what is known is that it was firstly denoted by a dot, then possibly a circle with a dot in the centre, and later by the oval shape we now use. Prior to its invention, Indian mathematicians had already taken to leaving an empty column on their counting boards and clearly at some point this empty space was filled. The Indians referred to zero as 'sunya' meaning void. Again, although evidence points towards a Mesopotamian origin for a place holder, their 'zero' (two slanted bars) was not used in conjunction with a decimal base.

Arabs started using zero as 0 ....

7: Decimal numeration and the place-value system

It might well have been an academic "marvel", but it was not recognized as an academic marvel by the Nobel Prize people. They gave it to him for social reasons just like Mother Teresa got her Nobel Peace Prize for charity. Anyhow microcredits have been around for a long time.

Like the village money lenders, right?

And yet, he won the Nobel Prize!

Are you suggesting that the Nobel Prize is some prize that is not worth it?

It is, for your information, the most prestigious prize in the world.

Mother Teresa is a naturalised Indian!

This is off topic, but discuss it in History & Culture if you like.

Panini was 110% from the region now known as Pakistan. He's from near Taxila, a place called Shalatula. Look it up (not in wiki, which tries to claim he's "Indian" to steal one of the most famous grammarians in the history of the humankind for itself).

Brahmagupta was born in the region of Pakistan also. He came from Multan. There are plenty of references for this also. All the mathematical treatizes he created including the rules for carrying out actions on the number zero, were derived by this ancestor of Pakistanis (with the Indians trying to pilfer him as one of their own on wiki).

The number zero was discovered in the region of Pakistan, by an ancestor of some of the modern day Pakistanis. No relation to India!

How are you so sure that they were not ancestors of people who migrated from Pakistan to India?

After all, a patronymic meaning "descendant of Pani") was an ancient Indian grammarian from Gandhara (fl. 4th century BC[1]).

He is known for his Sanskrit grammar, particularly for his formulation of the 3,959 rules of Sanskrit morphology in the grammar known as Ashtadhyayi (meaning "eight chapters"), the foundational text of the grammatical branch of the Vedanga, the auxiliary scholarly disciplines of Vedic religion.

The Ashtadhyayi is the earliest known grammar of Sanskrit (though scholars agree it likely built on earlier works), and the earliest known work on descriptive linguistics, generative linguistics, and together with the work of his immediate predecessors (Nirukta, Nighantu, Pratishakyas) stands at the beginning of the history of linguistics itself.

Panini's comprehensive and scientific theory of grammar is conventionally taken to mark the end of the period of Vedic Sanskrit, by definition introducing Classical Sanskrit.

Sanskrit, after all, is the mother language of Indian languages.

The inventor of the zero symbol is unknown, but what is known is that it was firstly denoted by a dot, then possibly a circle with a dot in the centre, and later by the oval shape we now use.

No, it's not unknown. The number zero was invented by a Pakistani ancestor.

Prior to its invention, Indian mathematicians had already taken to leaving an empty column on their counting boards and clearly at some point this empty space was filled. The Indians referred to zero as 'sunya' meaning void. Again, although evidence points towards a Mesopotamian origin for a place holder, their 'zero' (two slanted bars) was not used in conjunction with a decimal base.

Arabs started using zero as 0 ....

7: Decimal numeration and the place-value system

Goodness Gracious! This is precisely what everyone has been babbling on about for pages and pages on other threads, but nothing seems to penetrate the skull! The number zero was not invented by an "Indian", it was invented by an person whose ancestral home was in modern Pakistan..if anything let's refer to him as a PAKISTANI! It saves confusion! UnitedPak will not be impressed!

Like the village money lenders, right?

And yet, he won the Nobel Prize!

Are you suggesting that the Nobel Prize is some prize that is not worth it?

It is, for your information, the most prestigious prize in the world.

Mother Teresa is a naturalised Indian!

Salim, there's two sorts of Nobel awards. The Nobel Prize is for academic achievement in 5 fields of science and literature. The Nobel Peace Prize is given generally to people for social welfare achievements,not academic ones. The Yunus fellow got the second one.

He is not 'Yunus fellow".

Learn to be magnanimous to someone who has achieved international acclaim thorugh sheer hard work and vision.

I think we are wasting time.

You have not got the Nobel Prize, nor have I. But I respect all those who have achieved with their own hard work. While you decry all who are your better.

Nobel Prize is not something that can be picked up in the local market.

How are you so sure that they were not ancestors of people who migrated from Pakistan to India?

After all, a patronymic meaning "descendant of Pani") was an ancient Indian grammarian from Gandhara (fl. 4th century BC[1]).

Salim, this is just desperation. There's no proof his descendants migrated anywhere. In either case, we know for a fact, Panini was born in the area of modern Pakistan. His relations were from this same area. These are the only hard facts we know about him on this.

He is known for his Sanskrit grammar, particularly for his formulation of the 3,959 rules of Sanskrit morphology in the grammar known as Ashtadhyayi (meaning "eight chapters"), the foundational text of the grammatical branch of the Vedanga, the auxiliary scholarly disciplines of Vedic religion.

The Ashtadhyayi is the earliest known grammar of Sanskrit (though scholars agree it likely built on earlier works), and the earliest known work on descriptive linguistics, generative linguistics, and together with the work of his immediate predecessors (Nirukta, Nighantu, Pratishakyas) stands at the beginning of the history of linguistics itself.

Panini's comprehensive and scientific theory of grammar is conventionally taken to mark the end of the period of Vedic Sanskrit, by definition introducing Classical Sanskrit.

Sanskrit, after all, is the mother language of Indian languages.

Sanskrit was developed in Pakistan. It was the language of the Vedic Aryans. Bharat simply adopted the language after it was developed in Pakistan. In fact Bharat simplified it to Hindi, because it was too complicated.

Salim, there's two sorts of Nobel awards. The Nobel Prize is for academic achievement in 5 fields of science and literature. The Nobel Peace Prize is given generally to people for social welfare achievements,not academic ones. The Yunus fellow got the second one.

Learn to be magnanimous to someone who has achieved international acclaim thorugh sheer hard work and vision.

You have not got the Nobel Prize, nor have I. But I respect all those who have achieved with their own hard work. While you decry all who are your better.

You're right Salim. I need a stint in the army, but i got off military service due to a bad leg and a crooked walking style :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom