What's new

Cambodia & Laos Defence Forum

By the way, my friends in Thailand that deal with the Thai military used to tell me that the seals at the Sahatip base were the best elite forces in Thailand and actually had good officers and good maintenance of their equipment. They saw it as an exception to the rule, and the navy in general is more competent than the army even that they made a big blunder with the aircraft carrier.

They've a proud naval tradition, I will concede to this. As to elite ground units, besides the Thai Army Rangers, one unit that I admire is the Thahan Phran:

Thahan_Phran_Patch.gif

The Thahan Phran are elite light infantry unit that patrols the contiguous border of Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia. These are excellent anti-terrorist, anti-insurgent units.

image[1].jpg

20081016074929ENLUS0152191912241433[1].jpg

Its okay, let them look down on whoever they want, but at least Thai Gens. r smart enough to know that VN is behind Cambodia and our forces in Laos-Camb can attack them at any times we want when China is too far and too weak to help them.

Thats why Thai Gen. think that support VN against China will bring more benefit than harm. They will sit tight on their thrones like Mr. Hun Sen when they support VN.

One thing that Thailand will never do again is to get into a war with Vietnam (or Burma), they know how that will end. They pick on Cambodia and Laos because they are weaker.

That's typical Thai personality, a group of Thais would often beat up a westerner, but one on one, almost never.

They've a proud naval tradition, I will concede to this. As to elite ground units, besides the Thai Army Rangers, one unit that I admire is the Thahan Phran:

Thahan_Phran_Patch.gif

The Thahan Phran are elite light infantry unit that patrols the contiguous border of Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia. These are excellent anti-terrorist, anti-insurgent units.

View attachment 158404

View attachment 158405

Yes, Thai elite units are fine and counter insurgency is what the Thai military is good for and that's where their experience is; the regular army is a whole different story.

Thahan_Phran_Patch.gif

View attachment 158404

View attachment 158405

One thing that the Thahan Phran do in the Cambodian border is to shoot Cambodian workers that try to sneak into Thailand to look for work, they just shoot them (hundreds every year), no questions asked, that's how they deal with the Cambodian illegal alien issue; not very nice.

One thing that the Thahan Phran do in the Cambodian border is to shoot Cambodian workers that try to sneak into Thailand to look for work, they just shoot them (hundreds every year), no questions asked, that's how they deal with the Cambodian illegal alien issue; not very nice.

They've been associated with their over-handed policy. Not only in the Cambodian border, but they are sometimes questioned by excessive brutality when dealing with Burmese illegals near Chiang Mai, as well as of course dealing with the Malays in Southern Thailand.

Chinese in Thai-Sing-TW-HK support US and show their middle finger to main land Chinese like u. Stupid Chinese support China against VN like Pol Pot got hard spank and died miserably :pop:

Are you sure about that? :rofl::pop:but we all sure that Chineses around the world include TW, HK & Mainland show the middle finger to Vietnam by supporting Thailand and Cambodia. To add insult to injure we earn a trade suplus from Vietnam considered as tribute to China...LMAO

They've been associated with their over-handed policy. Not only in the Cambodian border, but they are sometimes questioned by excessive brutality when dealing with Burmese illegals near Chiang Mai, as well as of course dealing with the Malays in Southern Thailand.

Yes,Thais in general despise Cambodians and Burmese, they hate them and look down on them (but if hard work needs to be done, they will only hire Burmese and Cambodians ha ha). They'll never get over the fact that Burmese usually beat them and burned Ayuthaya to the ground.

Last edited:

Thai maners, politeness, saving face and allow others to save face are typical Thai traits that they have in common with Japanese people. Is that why you like Thailand?

Thai maners, politeness, saving face and allow others to save face are typical Thai traits that they have in common with Japanese people. Is that why you like Thailand?

I've a fondness for Thai History, Thai People, and the Thai Culture.

:)

I've a fondness for Thai History, Thai People, and the Thai Culture.

:)

I know, I had seen that for a while, but the key question is why?

And I'll tell you, its very easy to be that way. Most people that visit Thailand feel that way; once they live there for some time, most change their views. There is the external face of Thai people and the real face of them. I was like you once until some experiences showed me the true character of Thai people, the hidden face behind Thai culture. It was not a good experience, so when the subject of Thailand comes, that comes back to me and there are emotions involved. I don't pretend to tell you how to see things, just to caution you that there are 2 sides of the culture and the people.

Let's get back to topic; i notice that the Cambodians have quite a number of tanks at their disposal, despite the fact that they're a small country (about 15 million).

500 MBTs, over 300 APCs, and over 600 artillery pieces.

Cambodian Tanks:

2009_Cambodia_Brigade70[1].jpg

7th Armored Brigade of the Cambodian Army

8F07CB1F-01DD-47D0-BAEA-BF8EBC472C5C_w640_r1_s[1].jpg

Cambodian APC

RM70[1].jpg

Cambodia+Army+tests+the+newly+acquired+RM-70+Czech-made+122+MLRS[1].jpg

Cambodian RM-70s

Let's get back to topic; i notice that the Cambodians have quite a number of tanks at their disposal, despite the fact that they're a small country (about 15 million).

500 MBTs, over 300 APCs, and over 600 artillery pieces.

Cambodian Tanks:

View attachment 158428
7th Armored Brigade of the Cambodian Army

View attachment 158429
Cambodian APC

View attachment 158430

View attachment 158431
Cambodian RM-70s

They've been getting more stuff since the conflict with Thailand, but mainly old stuff, T-55's, BTR'60's etc. That's all they can afford.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom