What's new

Calidus UAE B-350 9 ton turboprop attack aircraft

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
This is a two seat turboprop aircraft under development by Calidus UAE that will have a takeoff weight of 9 tons, a wingspan of 16 meters, and a PW127 engine with 2600 Horsepower.

1619032105311.png

CHARVÁT AXL won the contract for the development and production of the landing gear for the CALIDUS B-350 aircraft. This is a complex task, so it is necessary to do all the gradual steps of the development cycle: Design the chassis concept, fine-tune it to mutual customer satisfaction, commission the development of externally supplied components, carry out a detailed design, determine the chassis load. Furthermore, dimension individual parts, process 3D documentation and drawing documentation.

Then support the production, which will take place in Semily. Produce the prototype tested - functional and strength. The first phase of development will be concluded by delivering a flight prototype to the customer.
While the customer will perform ground and flight tests with the aircraft equipped with our landing gear, the production of other prototypes will run in Semily. On the one hand for the second wave of laboratory tests - fatigue and climatic tests - and on the other hand for the second and third flight prototype for the customer.
Finally, we must evaluate all the tests performed and write technical reports, on the basis of which the customer will be able to certify the landing gear group of his aircraft.

How much time do you have for that?
Three years for the entire order, 18 months for the delivery of the first flight prototype.

What type of aircraft is it?
It is a single-engine turboprop aircraft for two crew members. It is a relatively large aircraft, can carry a wide range of equipment, the takeoff weight is set at 9 tons. The B-350 aircraft is large in its category - the wingspan is more than 16 meters. Last but not least, the necessary clearance between almost four meters must be guaranteed in all circumstances.
propeller and runway, so the chassis will be quite large. Just to give you an idea - the main landing gear leg will be about 1.7 meters high and will weigh about 130 kilograms.

What will the B 350 be used for? It is a multi-purpose training aircraft. It is designed to perform a number of tasks such as pilot training, patrolling and reconnaissance. This is a project supported by the United Arab Emirates government, so we can assume that the main customer will be the air force itself, ie the state.

What makes this aircraft special for you as an experienced designer? Let's say that, overall, this is not a revolutionary concept, the B-350 is an aircraft unusual in its size. In this category, we find rather half-aircraft. This certainly brings a lot of challenges to the aircraft manufacturer, starting with the installation of a very powerful engine, through a large propeller, to the difficult control of the reaction torque of the power unit, ie the solution of controllability of the aircraft already when taking off the runway. It is also not yet common in this category for an aircraft to have an all-composite construction

Modern Skyraider!!!

1619032118325.png

B-250 its sister aircraft designed by Novaer and ordered by the UAEAF

1619032189375.png

Americans: 6th Gen.
UAE: let's make a turboprop (actually let's pay white people to do it for us).
My friend, UAE has 10 million people and is 40 years old do you really expect the to be able to make a 6th gen fighter or are you just delusional? Paying somebody to develop a subsystem is fairly common when you have no experience designing it yourself.

You underestimate the usefulness of turboprops in CAS and COIN.

Not alone.

But together with other Muslim nations + effort + time you can do it.
Yes, Turkey is doing that but the UAE is not exactly close with them. The Muslim world isn't some monolithic entity that shares common goals.

Even then they will likely rely on foreign critical subsystems like engines for the foreseeable future.

Again, Turboprops can be useful and can likely even drop long range cruise missiles and standoff weapons. They are much cheaper than fighter jets as well.

You underestimate the usefulness of turboprops in CAS and COIN.
The fate of the Hürkuş-C project is uncertain. It will most likely be handed over only to the law enforcement agencies affiliated with the ministry of interior with limited numbers, and the Turkish armed forces will not buy it. Developments on the UAV side have started to narrow the armed turboprop light aircraft market considerably in recent years.

The fate of the Hürkuş-C project is uncertain. It will most likely be handed over only to the law enforcement agencies affiliated with the ministry of interior with limited numbers, and the Turkish armed forces will not buy it. Developments on the UAV side have started to narrow the armed turboprop light aircraft market considerably in recent years.
It is useful for SOCOM especially imo which is why the USA wants 75 turboprop CAS aicraft, and I have also thought it could be a standoff missile launching platform. It is also very easy to operate, you don't need as much infrastructure to set it up like GCS, RF links etc.

Payload on B-350 aircraft will be what 3800 kg? It could likely carry cruise missiles like Delilah, or Nasef quite easily allowing standoff missions from a much cheaper aircraft than a dedicated fighter while also able to be multi role, and be relatively safe from insurgent AA weaponry by flying at high altitudes.

1619043892802.png

1619043912398.png

Although I still think the UAE is developing a UCAV in my opinion because of a few big things

Last edited:
It is useful for SOCOM especially imo which is why the USA wants 75 turboprop CAS aicraft, and I have also thought it could be a standoff missile launching platform. It is also very easy to operate, you don't need as much infrastructure to set it up like GCS, RF links etc.

Payload on B-350 aircraft will be what 3800 kg? It could likely carry cruise missiles like Delilah, or Nasef quite easily allowing standoff missions from a much cheaper aircraft than a dedicated fighter while also able to be multi role, and be relatively safe from insurgent AA weaponry by flying at high altitudes.
As the number of upper-end armed-MALE class UAVs increases in the market, wider options are beginning to emerge. Until now, the most serious problem has been access to systems that can use 250-500lb ammunition types. However, if we look at the current programs, we can see that this is no longer a problem and a variety of products with this capability has begun to show itself in the market. There are approximately 10 companies(or JV) in the world that will carry out integration and testing activities even if not have design ability. Countries that have shown interest in this type of turboprop aircrafts until recently have started purchasing UAVs, respectively. I have nothing negative about the capabilities of these armed turboprop aircrafts. I mean, UAVs are increasingly expanding their potential market space, with the advantages they offer in terms of cost, staff training, staff safety and other mission-oriented tactical capabilities

Turboprop attack aircraft maintain their importance in terms of low altitude capabilities and especially their angle of attack capabilities. However, considering the developing CM capabilities in the field, there are more and more reasons to complicate the presence of this type of aircraft on the front line. These aircraft are now somewhere between attack helicopters and high payload capacity turboprop UCAVs. However, this gap is getting narrower due to the developments on the UAV side.

@T-SaGe
Agree to disagree here, I think there is still some room for these in my opinion although you are correct UAVs are making headway to an extent.

I think UAE maybe developing UCAVs but can't be sure these do look like subsystems for them though. I looked up Baykar subsystems and these seem quite similar in performance.

@T-SaGe
Agree to disagree here, I think there is still some room for these in my opinion although you are correct UAVs are making headway to an extent.

I think UAE maybe developing UCAVs but can't be sure these do look like subsystems for them though. I looked up Baykar subsystems and these seem quite similar in performance.

The UAE saved Italian Piaggio from bankruptcy by funding. Piaggio-Selex P.1HH, which uses the P.180 infrastructure there, is a very important project if you ask me. It has important potential because in terms of the cruise speed, climbing and attack angle capabilities. In other words, even in countries where these armed turboprop attack aircraft development activities are present, domestic market competitors are forming by UAVs.

The fate of the Hürkuş-C project is uncertain.
i beleive BAF is looking for a basic trainer or light attack aircraft. BAF chief will visit Turkey in a couple of days. On the agenda it was mentioned that he would visit Defence industries (factories) , Bases and Military Academies. Maybe they might buy Hurkus aircraft , Anka UAV or other drones.
An interesting thing is that we had rumours of Hisar Air defense system being procured but they need to complete order to Turkey before they can deliver to BD.
This the Turkish ambassador's reply which i thought was interesting
1619048693661.png

Equipment purchase are RUMOURS. So nothing is really confirmed until a contract is signed.
Again, Turboprops can be useful and can likely even drop long range cruise missiles and standoff weapons. They are much cheaper than fighter jets as well.
Good loitering time as well.

Americans: 6th Gen.
UAE: let's make a turboprop (actually let's pay white people to do it for us).

Well yes, there are always choices in life. We either continue developing and advancing and moving forward and learning from others , or we can turn into a corrupt failed nation, migrate abroad and choose interesting forum names.

I think we will stick with choice (1) no matter how much blind bigoted hate we receive.

Well yes, there are always choices in life. We either continue developing and advancing and moving forward and learning from others , or we can turn into a corrupt failed nation, migrate abroad and choose interesting forum names.

I think we will stick with choice (1) no matter how much blind bigoted hate we receive.
What people don’t understand is cost per flying hour. You don’t want to fly an expensive fighter jet guzzling fuel and needing expensive maintenance in COIN ops.

An F-16 costs around $6000 per flying hour. An F-15 if I remember correctly is $15000 per flying hour. A ground attack turbo prop like Calidus B250 does it for ~$1500 per flying hour.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom