What's new

Calculus Help *Please participate in this thread

root

Reaction score
Hey Guys - Please help
Can you guys tell me
If -1 < y-5 < 1 which of the following statements about y are true and which are not true?
1) 4 < y <6
2) -6 < y < -4
3) y > 4
4 ) y < 6
5) 0 <y-4<2
6) 2 < y/2 <3
7) 1/6 < 1/y < 1/4
8) mod(y-5) < 1

Also please explain how you guys determine whether the statement is true or not - i mean how do i solve this on my own ?explain the concept please..I hope you guys can help as this a lot of members on this forum are engineers and this just a simple Cal-1 question.

you can add any real number to each term of the inequality without altering the relations. But multiplying by negative numbers will reverse the relation. About the last inequality, does mod(x) make any sense? There must be some y before mod.

you can add any real number to each term of the inequality without altering the relations. But multiplying with negative numbers will reverse the relation. About the last inequality, does mod(x) make any sense. There must be some y before mod.
Yes Sir - I know how to solve linear/quadratic inequalities but my question is how do i check whether these statements about a particular inequality are true or not?I mean what's the method/concept/logic behind solving this problem?how do i determine that a) is true or false for the inequality given in OP.

Sorry buddy maths and martian both are equal to me .

math-fail.jpg

All are true statements

The equation is: -1 < y-5 < 1
First solve y-5 < 1
y<6

Then solve:
-1 < y-5
-1+5 < y
4< y

So y>4, y<6 or in one equation 4<y<6 or range is [4,6].

Now you should be able to see which one is true or not.

Eaxample: for the first statement add 5 to each term of the hypothesis i.e, -1<y-5<1, you have 4<y<6. Just keep in mind any statement can be verified just by manupulation of the hypothesis.

Hey Guys - Please help
Can you guys tell me
If -1 < y-5 < 1 which of the following statements about y are true and which are not true?
1) 4 < y <6
2) -6 < y < -4
3) y > 4
4 ) y < 6
5) 0 <y-4<2
6) 2 < y/2 <3
7) 1/6 < 1/y < 1/4
8) mod(y-5) < 1

Also please explain how you guys determine whether the statement is true or not - i mean how do i solve this on my own ?explain the concept please..I hope you guys can help as this a lot of members on this forum are engineers and this just a simple Cal-1 question.

I am done with finding the X gf of Y- Y should get over his X by now- and i am done with personal lives of the integers aswell- sorry you are on your own-

This bloody calculus has ruined my life for years ..now in daily life it is worthless ...

If -1 < y-5 < 1

than, 5 will be added to both -1 & 1 (sign will change from -5 to +5)

so, this will become => -1+5<y<1+5

=> 4<y<6.

so ur answer is the 1st option + all the other options that satisfy the same.

PS - din't know i have to solve maths in a defence forum :lol:

Thank you so much guys - I was able to solve these problems...I know Calculus sucks but i have to study maths for at least 2 more years as I have 4 Advanced Maths Courses In my Under-Graduate Studies (Multivariate Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics).

Back
Top Bottom