What's new

CA chief lashes out at racist abuse of Ahmed

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
5226bc718bbb4.jpg

SYDNEY: Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland has lashed out at “racist comments” directed at Muslim Fawad Ahmed after the leg-spinner asked not to wear a kit displaying the logo of beer brand VB.

Pakistan-born Ahmed, who became an Australian citizen in July after his application was fast-tracked, did not have the logo on his shirt during his international debut in last week's T20 matches against England.

It emerged Tuesday that he had “expressed discomfort with the conflict this created for him, due to his religious beliefs”.

Cricket Australia agreed with his request to wear an unbranded shirt, but this sparked critical comments on the Cricket Australia website and other social media.

“Legitimate reason RELIGION, no its not, it's a game of cricket, not praying at a church,” said one reaction. “It is driven by money and fans not by religious fanatics. Those who don't like the Australian culture should leave, or keep misguided values to themselves.”

Sutherland said he was disgusted with such comments.

“Cricket Australia would like to express its extreme disappointment over racist comments towards Fawad Ahmed on social media... some of which are falsely attributed to former Australian cricketer Dean Jones,” he said in a statement late Tuesday. “CA does not condone racism in any way, shape or form."

“CA is fully supportive of Fawad's personal beliefs and he is a valued and popular member of the Australian cricket team and the wider cricket community.”

South African batsman Hashim Amla, also a Muslim, is another player in a similar situation and has been permitted not to wear the logo of Cricket South Africa sponsor Castle, a beer company, on his kit.

The sensitive issue also reared up in English football with striker Papiss Cisse pulling out of Newcastle United's pre-season tour this year, saying he was not prepared to promote the club's sponsors, money-lending company Wonga.

But the Senegal international has since donned a Newcastle shirt featuring the logo after talks with the club and Islamic teachers.

The rise of Ahmed, a former refugee who fled his home in the Pakistan border region near Afghanistan, where he said he was targeted by the Taliban, has seen him become a hero to some in Australia's immigrant communities.

CA chief lashes out at racist abuse of Ahmed - DAWN.COM

I believe that he is justified in requesting that he be exempted from promoting the brand. He will have a large fan base who are Muslim youth. Promoting the logo of a beer company may promote the product to them. Hashim Amla had a great discussion on a television show where he explained why he requested exemption from promoting the Castle brand. It was logical

And then they brag about freedom of speech, right to choose and all that bullsh!t.. :pissed:

A refugee who felt persecuted by religious extremists in his home land found religion in the West.

A refugee who felt persecuted by religious extremists in his home land found religion in the West.

First of there is nothing wrong with him finding religion somewhere else. And secondly my friend it goes onto show that how religious them extremist really are.

Oh yeah, when Hashim Amla does something like this, he is a role model and peacekeeper, but when Fawad Ahmed does it, he becomes a terrorist.

Wankers.

Oh yeah, when Hashim Amla does something like this, he is a role model and peacekeeper, but when Fawad Ahmed does it, he becomes a terrorist.

Wankers.

The problem is that people expect others to conform to their standard of life. Clearly the non religious people who made statements like "its a game of cricket not praying at church" did not bother checking the details for the request to be exempted. Had they done so, they would have understood hopefully

First of there is nothing wrong with him finding religion somewhere else. And secondly my friend it goes onto show that how religious them extremist really are.
It's hypocrisy man, Got nothing against him personally. CA generates revenues from these brands, is he willing to reject the money coming from that too? Religion must be limited to oneself.

I doubt he was facing any religious persecution back in Pakistan. He is neither a Hazara, nor from any religious minority, the groups that do face genuine persecution.

CA saw potential in him, and got his refugee visa approved.

Dude, not all Pakistani migrants abroad are "persecuted", or financially challenged...... :D

On what grounds he made an application for refuge? forget it doesn't even matter, it looks like ICC must also introduced Praying Breaks along with drinks breaks just to please the people who wear their respective religion on selves.

He came to Oz on temp visa to play for some local cricket club, and then while in Australia he filed for asylum. Cricket Australia saw potential in him and backed his asylum application, cause of his talent not any religious persecution.

Its a blatant misuse of the system, done by the Government itself. :lol:

It's hypocrisy man, Got nothing against him personally. CA generates revenues from these brands, is he willing to reject the money coming from that too? Religion must be limited to oneself.

Well its CA that is paying him, they get their rev from multiple sources. He dont want that add, thats a matter between him and CA. No double standards about it. And he is limiting his religion to him self. Not imposing it onto you now is he.

none of these comments are racist ... its justs fans venting their frustration at the game being dragged into such debate... am sure they whould have said exactly same if an aussie white player said it...

why dont muslims also boycott interest based banking and loans this way too? Interest/usury is a much bigger sin then drinking. Muslims dont even know their own religion to be honest, we are just drame baaz people pretending to be saints

Dude, not all Pakistani migrants abroad are "persecuted", or financially challenged...... :D

He is a Pakistani refugee yaar. I'm certain that I read his sob story somewhere.

Ironically, it could also have been responsible for causing him great harm too. When Ahmed lived in Pakistan's northern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, he was a supporter of an NGO who worked for women's rights, played cricket and coached children in the game, and admired the art of Shane Warne from afar. Those activities were considered dangerous enough to result in him being targeted and threatened by militants.

"My life was in danger because they thought I was promoting Western values and culture and they warned me that if I continued doing that, I would be in trouble," he told ESPNcricinfo.

Fearing for his safety, Ahmed decided he would have to leave his mother, two brothers and sister behind and search for a new life.

Fawad Ahmed's hard road to acceptance | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Back
Top Bottom