What's new

BYD: Road to Dominance of Electric Vehicle/Transport

BYD steams into monorail industry

By CHAI HUA (China Daily)

Updated: 2016-10-14 07:48

a41f726b0841196a5f9a0b.jpg

BYD's Skyrail starts operation on Oct 12,2016 in Shenzhen, Guangdong province. [Photo provided toChina Daily]

Chinese electric vehicle manufacturer BYD is entering the railway transportation market, with the announcement of plans to build a monorail service in Shenzhen.

The "Skyrail" will take around two years to build, one-third of the time taken to build the average metro system, and will cost around 20 percent of the latter, according to the company.

With an investment of 5 billion yuan ($757 million) in five years, BYD aims to solve the traffic jam problem in crowded cities caused by population increase.

At the ceremony, BYD Chairman Wang Chuanfu said the city of Shantou in Guangdong province had signed contract with BYD to build a 250-kilometer-long Skyrail system and another20 cities are in negotiations to introduce the new transportation system.

"Skyrail could integrate with current public transportation system in a bid to establish a multi-dimensional network linking space underground, on the ground and in the air," Wang said.

It can run as fast as 80 km per hour and its delivery capacity is about 10,000 to 30,000 passengers one way each hour.

After the 4.4-km Skyrail started operations in BYD's Shenzhen campus, railway transportation officially becomes the company's fourth core business after IT, automobile and new energy.

Wang said BYD is determined to be the first private company in China to enter railway transportation industry.

On Oct 11, Wang also signed a contract worth 60 billion yuan with China Development Bank about a strategic cooperation on the monorail system industry.

Peng Qi, automobile industry analyst of research center at China Merchants Securities, pointed out the development of the Skyrail depends on how many orders it could successfully get and that needs to be negotiated with local governments.

He said he believes the new system is suitable for third and fourth-tier cities, as well as linking suburbs and downtown in first-tier cities, but he is afraid smaller cities could not afford the cost.

The advantage of BYD's Skyrail is its low cost, he added.

He compares the Skyrail to an aerial electronic bus, saying BYD has a comprehensive resources of manufacturing electronic bus, including electronic motors, battery and electronic control, so the company only needs to outsource track manufacturing.

The "Skyrail" will take around two years to build, one-third of the time taken to build the average metro system, and will cost around 20 percent of the latter, according to the company.
An efficient way to build Metro.

At the ceremony, BYD Chairman Wang Chuanfu said the city of Shantou in Guangdong province had signed contract with BYD to build a 250-kilometer-long Skyrail system and another 20 cities are in negotiations to introduce the new transportation system.
i bet 200 more cities will negotiate with BYD.

It can run as fast as 80 km per hour and its delivery capacity is about 10,000 to 30,000 passengers one way each hour.
10,000 to 30,000 passengers one way per hour is enough for smaller cities.

After the 4.4-km Skyrail started operations in BYD's Shenzhen campus, railway transportation officially becomes the company's fourth core business after IT, automobile and new energy.
Now, @cnleio can take Skyrail in the headquarter of BYD in Pingshan New District, Shenzhen.

Wang said BYD is determined to be the first private company in China to enter railway transportation industry.

On Oct 11, Wang also signed a contract worth 60 billion yuan with China Development Bank about a strategic cooperation on the monorail system industry.
Now BYD is backed by CDB.
CRRC must work harder!
Healthy competition is welcome.

CRRC Suspension train in Chengdu
135726033_14752436919511n.jpg
135726033_14752436916181n.jpg

9922720e0cf3d7ca170ac7e0fa1fbe096a63a9ac.jpg
37d3d539b6003af3b4342ff63d2ac65c1138b69e.jpg

Last edited:
Budget overground monorail train debuts in China
China's leading new-energy vehicle manufacturer, BYD, unveiled its first light train on Thursday. The "Yungui", or "Cloud Rail" in English, is an overground metro system which costs about one-fifth of a regular metro line, and takes much less time to construct.

Now, @cnleio can take Skyrail in the headquarter of BYD in Pingshan New District, Shenzhen.
This train co-worked by BYD and 中国中车 ... BYD got development funds from BeiJing. The 1st BYD 250km-line skyrail will build in ShanTou city of GuangDong province, the deal already signed.

Future BYD will push this skyrail to foreign market as similar as BYD's e-bus, it's the new-energy project funded by BeiJing.

This train co-worked by BYD and 中国中车 ... BYD got development funds from BeiJing. The 1st BYD 250km-line skyrail will build in ShanTou city of GuangDong province, the deal already signed.

Future BYD will push this skyrail to foreign market as similar as BYD's e-bus, it's the new-energy project funded by BeiJing.
I have never been doubted about BYD's execution of plans. :enjoy:

I have never been doubted about BYD's execution of plans. :enjoy:
BYD is a complex IT company group ... it produce many goods from IC chip to vehicle, from OEM assembly to new-energy R&D. During my work time in BYD, i just found some is good some is not good inside BYD ... right now im dealing with a system project of vehicle air conditioner with BLDC (already finished 2/3), my suppliers from Renesas, Freescale, TI, Bosch, Rohm etc. As my boss told me when i into the company: BYD just provide a platform to u, it depends on how u using it ~ :coffee:

BYD is a complex IT company group ... it produce many goods from IC chip to vehicle, from OEM assembly to new-energy R&D. During my work time in BYD, i just found some is good some is not good inside BYD ... right now im dealing with a system project of vehicle air conditioner with BLDC (already finished 2/3), my suppliers from Renesas, Freescale, TI, Bosch, Rohm etc. As my boss told me when i into the company: BYD just provide a platform to u, it depends on how u using it ~ :coffee:
Can u ride that monorail everyday from one place to another within the factory?
It says the total length is over 4km.

Can u ride that monorail everyday from one place to another within the factory?
It says the total length is over 4km.
In PingShan, the BYD employees can take the light rail for free from apartment buildings to office buildings, the 4km stations all inside PingShan BYD industry zone.

In PingShan, the BYD employees can take the light rail for free from apartment buildings to office buildings, the 4km stations all inside PingShan BYD industry zone.
Do most employees live in the BYD apartments?

Do most employees live in the BYD apartments?
Most blue-collar workers live in BYD apartments ... most employees in offices not live in apartments, they might rent house near the company or already bought house in local, only few employees in offices and fresh graduate employees live in apartments.

Most blue-collar workers live in BYD apartments ... most employees in offices not live in apartments, they might rent house near the company or already bought house in local, only few employees in offices and fresh graduate employees live in apartments.
Those apartments for blue-collar workers free?

Back
Top Bottom