What's new

Bulgarian Mig 29's pilot talks about going against USAF F-16 Block 50

American english had a more sticky sound to it compared to how NZ and Australians speak, there a bit of speaking through the nose. It actually requires a bit more effort to listen to them.

Typical west coast accent, I think.

OH THOU SMART ARSE

DO thee mean to say :

that mig have a place to keep your kfc bucket ? you have some other smart answer ?

tch tch .. easy now ...

I have a firm belief that any one who does not have regards for the Mig21 is just rude.
I will not even try to compliment this air craft.

AND I also believe that any one who does not fear the Mig29 is not very intelligent.
The pilot fears it for risk of failure, the enemy fears it for what it was capable of.

I always take time out to appreciate what the russians achieved without the sophisticated CAD/CAM approach of the west.

What they lacked in sophistication, they made up with brute force and determination.

Now why can't you let me apply the same principle for pilots !

That briefing video cracks me up. It was a USAF instructor talking to a USAF audience. Did people expect him to be sensitive to peoples' feelings? He's a freaking fighter pilot, for crying out loud, not a counselor or psychologist. Whoever doesn't like what he says can go cry in their cereal, or prove him wrong.

Chogy:

I agree with you that there is nothing to be even annoyed about. A lot of Indians took this the wrong way I think. Anyway, what did you think about the topic of this thread, the Bulgarian pilot's interview.
I know you have flown the Viper, so is there anything that you thought he was right or wrong about?
With best regards!

Two things

The videos of the US guy briefing the rest of his mates..

- He didn't really tell us anything we didn't know.. the Su30 is better and the only scored because of the inexperienced indian pilots zeal to get into post-stall manoeuvring!

On the MiG 29.. what else is there that you don't understand, most MiG-29s are more manoevrable and better armed that the F16 or the F15..

The problem with base MiG-29s is short range and bad radar..

MiG fixed those two problems with later versions ..

Now if I were asked to go on a single one-to-one engagement WVR engagement I would go in a MiG 29
if I were asked to fly a war.. I'd definitely go in an F16 ...

Chogy:

I agree with you that there is nothing to be even annoyed about. A lot of Indians took this the wrong way I think. Anyway, what did you think about the topic of this thread, the Bulgarian pilot's interview.
I know you have flown the Viper, so is there anything that you thought he was right or wrong about?
With best regards!

I'll put it this way, and I don't mean to be blunt... I think there was a period of time (probably 1980 to maybe 1995) when the USAF fleet of F-15, F-117, and F-16, their avionics and radar, and especially the training received (which was massive under pres. Reagan), made the USAF uncontested due to a combination of quality and quantity. Those were the days when the MiG-29 was unrefined, the Su-27 was little known, Soviet missiles were a bit suspect, and most nations undertrained their crews; they couldn't afford it. Guys were lucky to get 2 or 3 sorties a month, when 3 or 4 a week was typical for U.S./NATO crews.

Since then, Russia has produced much more refined jets, their avionics have gone digital, are better, and missiles have proven themselves. Nations have also learned the value of extensive training, and the old Soviet GCI-based combat model has been tossed out in favor of independent action and initiative. And here comes China on a developmental high-speed train.

With the sole exception of the F-22, which remains on a technological pinnacle, everything else these days is going to come down to training, overall tactics, ECM/ECCM, C & C. Training is the key, IMO.

Link: Operation Allied Force - How Dutch F-16AMs shot down a Mig-29

And this: Link:How Dutch F-16AMs shot down a Mig-29

never has a mig-29 ever shot down a F-16 but F-16 has shot down a mig-29!!:D

so much for the mig-29 being the "conqueror of the f-16":lol:

I dont have intention to argue with you guys which one of these two fighter planes is better, but i have to say that your example is clearly inadequate.

First of all Serbian Migs were over 12 years old in 1999. They were lacking maintenance and spare parts, because we were under sanctions for a long time. Our Migs were supposed to go through overhaul three years before the NATO bombing, but they didn't.

Also Serbia had a severe shortage of fuel because of sanctions. So our pilots were untrained and unprepared when war came.

After all Serbian Mig 29 were a Mig 29s.

So on one side you have 16 Mig 29 s that were usually sent to battle missions in pairs of two, or one alone, against a bunch of F-16C/D Block 40/42 or 50/52 supported by AWACS and other planes, ground radars etc . On one side you have Serbian pilot who didn't spent more than 30 hours in air per year in the last few years, and on the other side you have US pilot with around 200 hours in the air per year. On one side you have Serbian jets armed with R60 and R73, and on another side you have AIM-9 and AIM-120. Not to mention that Serbian planes were under heavy jamming. All our pilots reported radar and other electronic components failures during their missions.

So i would say that it's clearly unfair to compare this two plains under such conditions.

Indeed; tactics, skills and strategy matter a lot, this is what many fanboys forget.

Regarding Rafale, i agree with what you are saying. I remember talking to a PAF pilot in early 2010, i was discussing with him the exercise PAF held with the French. Charles DeGaulle was deployed in the Indian ocean, PAF deployed F16's at the Masroor Air Base in Karachi to practice maneuvers with the Rafale. Although the Pilot did not go in details for obvious reasons, he did say that PAF was not impressed as the F16's out bested the Rafale's in mock fights.

NE,

Why was PAF not impressed if the F-16s out bested Rafales?

Back
Top Bottom