What's new

Buddhist Terrorism - no longer a myth

collected from Professors Michael Jerryson and Mark Juergensmeyer's book Buddhist Warfare

what a discovery man. Also teach others how to use google!!

Than learn to give credit to original author/site. This is basic manners.

This is the text from Nirvana Sutra, chapter 19, where your article claims to kill Brahmins. No where it says so. Try to do some basic search before you start defaming others. Learn to use google!

At that, the Buddha praised Manjushri, saying: "Well said, well said! I recall that in days gone by I was born in Jambudvipa as a great king named Senyo. He loved the Mahayana sutras and respected them. He was pure and good, and there was no coarseness in him; no jealousy, no stinginess could find any room inside him. What issued forth from him was loving words, words that spoke of good. He always protected the poor and the lonely; with him there was no end of giving and of making effort. At that time, there was no Buddha, no sravakas and pratyekabuddhas. I, at that time, loved the Mahayana vaipulya sutras. For 12 years I served the Brahmins, catering fully to their needs. After that, when giving and peace had been gained, I said: "O you teachers! You should now aspire to unsurpassed Enlightenment." The Brahmins said: "O great King! There is no such thing as the nature of Enlightenment; the same is the case with the Mahayana sutras. O great King! How is it that you wish to make us equal to the Void"? O good man! I, at that time, greatly respected Mahayana. I heard the Brahmins slandering the vaipulya. Having heard this, I did away with my life. O good man! I have never once fallen into hell because of this [i.e. despite this]. O good man! When we accept and protect the Mahayana sutras, we have innumerable virtues.

Nirvana Sutra :: Appreciation of the "Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra"

Dont forget..
Most forms of martial arts originate from buddhist monasteries...
So they do have links with violence.

You're a funny man. Martial arts were designed for body and mind development in first place. Bodhidharma (the founder of kung fu and one of our chief gurus) when he went to China first saw that the kings and local warlords used to brutally kill peasants and monks there. Also since monks are to live austere lives devoid of any materialistic desire or facilities, they had to learn to stay disciplined and physically fit.

Thus unarmed martial arts were developed for physical fitness and as a means for monks to defend themselves and the monasteries against invading warlords or kings.

Not to invade other countries and forcefully convert others.

And BTW, martial arts existed long before our monks formalized it. before Buddhist order existed as a distinct community, many mainstream Hindu sages had developed martial arts. The only difference was that the mainstream Hindu philosophy enables them to wield arms and at the same time use unarmed combat as well, as was different in our philosophy. Hence, kung fu was born. However, over a period of time martial monks had to forcefully learn weapons warfare as martial arts had a limit (contrary to what Chinese martial arts movies show). It is powerful form of self-defense but not everyone can be as enlightened as the elder monks.

UTTER BULL$HIT !

There is no thing called Buddhist terrorism under the sun ...its justnew propoganda started by ummah lovers,

Religious terrorism is a extreme identity of abrahamic religions where people who dont believe in book like quran or bible or tanakh !

Buddhism is world's most peaceful religion, the ongoing attrocities in Myanmar are result of ethnic clashes & deeds of muslims to be-different from majority.

Same Burmese buddhist had problems with chinese buddhist to in past...so buddhist terrorism is purely a addition to rants by loosers

http://www.nirvanasutra.net/convenient/Mahaparinirvana_Sutra_Yamamoto_Page_2007.pdf

Here's the Nirvana Sutra. Couldn't find any of the things you quoted by searching with keywords.

Such things will only turn up books written by some obscure westerners.Yesterday one member here posted a scripture from Zakir Naik website and claimed it is from Holy Hindu text called Bhavishya Puran and it predicts the arrival of Muhammad and Islam.But its turned that the scripture was nothing but a fake cooked up by that fraud televangelist.

collected from Professors Michael Jerryson and Mark Juergensmeyer's book Buddhist Warfare

what a discovery man. Also teach others how to use google!!

As far as i know buddha never disrespected any brahmins. He asked his disciples to treat every brahmin with respect.

And zen buddhism is mixed with traditional japanese culture/religion. They do have a different set of beliefs. However, i am not particularly knowledgeable in zen buddhism.

Anyway the way i see it is this is an ethic terrorism rather than buddhist terrorism(for burma). We tend to stereotype an ethnic group with a religion(arabs are all muslims, Tibetans are all buddhist,etc).

Talk to you guys later in the morning need to get some shut eye.

Those who claim that violence is there in our faith, please allow me to clarify.

It is wrong. Retaliation is not violence and certainly not when one's life is in danger and when one is about to be converted to some other religion with threats.

In fact, our community was at a time hijacked by some politicized monks who advocated extreme non-violence (like Jains), which nearly wiped us out.

However, with the influence of mainstream Hindu philosophy we had to re-learn on how to fight back ferociously and thus within Buddhism, martial sects developed to protect our culture and faith.

What is happening in Burma is simply a retaliation of years of anger that is being built up among the Buddhists after repeatedly being harassed by Muslims of that region for years.

While I know you will be against us since you consider yourself to be the leaders of your religion, but please remember, after picking up a fight with our community, you've simply proven that you cannot co-exist with any religious community peacefully around the world.

Newton had decoded one of the very ancient laws of nature found in both our texts:

every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Don't see why Pakistanis and Bangladeshis find it so surprising to see retaliation.

I mean if a Muslim country can destroy Bamyan Buddha statues that existed long before, then I don't see why a Buddhist country should not protect itself from harassment of a religion that is alien to this part of the world and that doesn't belong here.

i switched off my pc! So unable to check. Here i found that Brahmin killing quote - Why do we bother?

Like I said, past lives of Buddha are later inclusion. Buddha himself never said anything about his past lives.

Also forums and blogs are not the most authentic places.

The reincarnation of Buddhas or Bodhisattvas are later inclusion to begin with. Siddhartha Gautama never said anything about him reincarnating.

True. Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings that have existed since ancient times. Gautama Siddhartha never claimed to be reincarnating later.

In fact, Buddha the very word means enlightened one.

Anyone willing to take the path of truth and have the strength to uphold righteousness everywhere whether or not it is of personal benefit to him or not, can become the enlightened one.

:)

You're a funny man. Martial arts were designed for body and mind development in first place. Bodhidharma (the founder of kung fu and one of our chief gurus) when he went to China first saw that the kings and local warlords used to brutally kill peasants and monks there. Also since monks are to live austere lives devoid of any materialistic desire or facilities, they had to learn to stay disciplined and physically fit.

Thus unarmed martial arts were developed for physical fitness and as a means for monks to defend themselves and the monasteries against invading warlords or kings.

Not to invade other countries and forcefully convert others.

And BTW, martial arts existed long before our monks formalized it. before Buddhist order existed as a distinct community, many mainstream Hindu sages had developed martial arts. The only difference was that the mainstream Hindu philosophy enables them to wield arms and at the same time use unarmed combat as well, as was different in our philosophy. Hence, kung fu was born. However, over a period of time martial monks had to forcefully learn weapons warfare as martial arts had a limit (contrary to what Chinese martial arts movies show). It is powerful form of self-defense but not everyone can be as enlightened as the elder monks.

This is the difference of cultures. For one, self sacrifice means suicide vests. For other, it means self immolation!
One would see violence everywhere, one would see peace.

No Buddhist nation has a expansionist history (might be rare exceptions). No purging of culture, no destruction of idols, no loots of holy places. This is true for all eastern religions. They can coexist. Even Shinto (non-Indian eastern religion) and Buddhism have no conflicts.

Does this mean more Buddhist temples will be attacked in Bangladesh for revenge? :what:

Such things will only turn up books written by some obscure westerners.Yesterday one member here posted a scripture from Zakir Naik website and claimed it is from Holy Hindu text called Bhavishya Puran and it predicts the arrival of Muhammad and Islam.But its turned that the scripture was nothing but a fake cooked up by that fraud televangelist.

Actually, Bhavishya Purana (as I have read it) is true but it doesn't tell what that clown Naik says. In fact, it tells the very opposite. Any Sanskrit student or literate will be able to tell you what was the meaning written in it.

I would gladly translate the relevant lines here but ...erm.. I don't think the hosts will take it kindly. So lets leave it to that.

It is a shame that one has to listen to Naik's ramblings to understand one's own scripture.

In fact, our community was at a time hijacked by some politicized monks who advocated extreme non-violence (like Jains), which nearly wiped us out.

This is news to me. Can you shed some light on it? Unfortunately PM is not available so a public post.

Does this mean more Buddhist temples will be attacked in Bangladesh for revenge? :what:

What else are you expecting?

After the disgusting act of cowardice that was done by their co-religionists in UP's Buddha Park which happens to be in India, are you expecting any better in a country that has left no trace of our way of life in their land?

Back
Top Bottom