What's new

British India..was it good or bad?

I did not pick on an random author or a random guy, I picked up the person person responsible for the education system in India, McCauley and the other backbone of the whole of indology studies. These people have the highest "contributions" in those fields.

It matters and matters a f*cking lot, because we are still using that bloody system, whose sole purpose has been to destroy the indian culture and education system.

So you disagree with their interpretation of Indian history? What exactly is it that you dislike about the current system?

Excuse me! where did I praise the mughals? Show me one statement from me. The only praise might be, they were better than the bl*ody british, if that seems as a praise to you, then I cant help you.

They were a lot worse than the British infact. The only reason they seem better is perhaps some form of mass Stockholm syndrome.

My sole point was the mughals were a spent force! So bringing them into the equation is not correct.

Perhaps, but I have made another point that the Mughals were principally responsible in crushing traditional indian society.

define "modernity"- you are in for a rude shock.

Civil society, rule of law, citizenship, academic temper....

I picked on the foremost among them and it was not a random selection. I do not have the time or patience to dissect every one of them.

Karl Marx was German btw. And I don't see why you ignore the dozens of British explorers who took pains to string together the story of india. There is nothing wrong in recognizing their contributions.

another "what if" scenario and blo*dy hell what is "modernity", and when did the british leave a united india? If you think, Bismark or some west person was greatest unifier, think again, it was Patel along with Menon, who combined 565 INDEPENDENT states into India, with zero violence in 562 states. and this was done with instances of being with a revolver in a point blank range.

Patel did an extraordinary job, I won't that. They don't call him the Iron Man for nothing.

Those 565 princely states were all British protectorates. I don't see how any of them were Independent at all. After Mountbatten was on India's side, I don't see how any princely state could have possibly remained separate from India.

For a better understanding, try to imagine a similar effort 500 year ago. It would have been impossible because the people didn't see themselves as a whole.

another "what if", I am pretty bored of this game. Either let us go the whole hog of playing ALL "what if" scenarios or do not play at all. Dont use tidbits of information.

fine...

You are playing "what ifs", so I will take the liberty, which would have come
even if the british did not come, remember immediately after the mumbai train, how the princely kings actively participated in making them.

what if the train never came?

After this statement, McCauley will be proud to see his dreams of shattering Indian identity and consciousness coming to such a fruition.

Oh please....ignoring the cultural and intellectual contributions of the british is just plain conceit.

yet the mughal emperor called himself, the "hindustan ka baadshah", the england/dutch came intially to the south of the country, where no Indus flows , and call themselves "east India company". why so?

What does a title have to do with anything?

It is what the ordinary people think that matters. Foreigners knew the land as India, that too more as a continent, as the "lands of India", on the same note as "lands of Europe".

How come even a scandinavian country like portugal knew about India right from 1600 when they tried for alternate routes when constantinople was conquered by turkey? At that time, there was no India right?

Again, they knew india not as a country, but a different world altogether.

did you find ANY pedestal from me?

Considering them better than the British is putting them on a pedestal. They were much, much worse in so many different ways.

So you agree that the british acted just as a medium who did not know that it was passing this knowledge.

The British knew of course. How can one remain ignorant of the changes taking place in ones colony.
But you may call it inadvertent, or perhaps natural, inevitable.

If partition had not happened, I wouldnt bet on it.

You wouldn't bet on what? that india would have had a parliament if there was no partition?

Now SA couldnt see, so it couldnt happen. May I know why? Till the british came into scene, they worked completely under the peshwa and he was always regarded as the "emperor" for them.

Look. Lots of things are needed to form a modern nation state. A solid penal code, justice system, public institutions, roadways, railways. The Marathas weren't doing any of that as far as I can see.

Much easier than 565 kingdoms left by the british.

7-8 disparate kingdoms at war with each other are much much more difficult to unite than 500 subservient princely states who have little choice but to obey.

give me the timeline you are referring to? pre british rule or during british rule. I agree with your statement for during british rule, but I express reservations pre.

I'm talking about the Period just after the Mughals consolidated their empire, all the way till the British left and even a few years into Independence.

After the 1857 crushing, where cities were wiped out and every tree for miles had people hanging, I agree with you.

That, and now, think of the same story repeated, again and again, over a thousand years.

never could even one of them peacefully rule, all the history of them will be moving from crushing from one revolt to another, only after they started giving the space to rajputs and others as minor rulers, could they take a breath.

True, but you can understand the horrible effect such a malevolent rule has on the population.
Talent gets wiped out. Artisans, craftsmen, warriors, leaders are periodically put to the sword, so that the voices of opposition get wiped out.

Did you know that even upto 1900, Bihar was referred to as the most troublesome province? Central province, frankly I lack knowledge, but wasnt the intiative for the whole INC and stuff originate in Bengal, I wonder what was Bankim chandra was sucking to when he wrote anand math?

The rise of Hindu Nationalism with Bankim Chandra's narrative are indeed very important events. These along with reform movements, Rammohunroy, Vivekananda, etc. played a huge role in getting the dignity back that had been wiped out.

This is where I principally differ from you, you use the "formation" ,"creation" of identity - which I would at the extreme call "reawakening", though I would not prefer even this extreme.

Even, I would prefer reawakening actually, only, a reawakening after a long, long period of time.

So you disagree with their interpretation of Indian history? What exactly is it that you dislike about the current system?
yup.
A lot, for instance, the way, the exams are conducted for the sake of just rot memory instead of using the brains.
They were a lot worse than the British infact. The only reason they seem better is perhaps some form of mass Stockholm syndrome.
Nope, no stockholm syndrome atleast for me. But I recognise, what lead to what, The mughals who were with zero sophistication for brutality, gave rise to Indians who gave a common front to them and were thus eliminated from the picture by us, whereas the british used sophistication to the other extreme, it is these layers of sophistication which is the actual essense of our conversation. They did not try to crush Indians like the mughals did, they have tried to crush Indian spirit. The behavior of Nehru at 1962 might have suprised everyone except those who understand how the british were successful in creating those layers. The divide and rule policy, the indology studies, our education system are some of the tools they used as a matter of sophistication.

Perhaps, but I have made another point that the Mughals were principally responsible in crushing traditional indian society.
but the revolt of sikhs and marathas who overthrew the mughals clearly shows that the indian society was still capable of rejuvenating itself.
Civil society, rule of law, citizenship, academic temper....
citizenship - what role does citizenship have in modernity?
civil society - what role did the civil society play during the british rule?
rule of law - is this the same rule of law which applies to jallianwallabagh? Arent the movements of civil disobedience, quit india, in essense breaking this rule of law?
academic temper - what sort of academic temper was there in a society with 11% LITERATE (that is read and write) population?

What you call as modernity does not include citizenship, civil society, rule of law? Academic temper-yes, but not what was developed under Mccauley's system.
Karl Marx was German btw. And I don't see why you ignore the dozens of British explorers who took pains to string together the story of india. There is nothing wrong in recognizing their contributions.
Regarding facts, yes, - theories, no.

This sort of writing history was not uniquely done by the british, there was a rajatarangini written 1000's itself.
Those 565 princely states were all British protectorates. I don't see how any of them were Independent at all. After Mountbatten was on India's side, I don't see how any princely state could have possibly remained separate from India.
Read the book by VP Menon, you will see, how almost every reasonable state tried to become independent and how it was done.
For a better understanding, try to imagine a similar effort 500 year ago. It would have been impossible because the people didn't see themselves as a whole.
hey, read the delhi sultanate history and how it had most of the country under them. It was done before, except in a not-so-nonviolent fashion.

what if the train never came?
another what if...?
Oh please....ignoring the cultural and intellectual contributions of the british is just plain conceit.
No, I do not want to ignore those "contributions", I want to actively undo them. and what does Marx have to do with that?
What does a title have to do with anything?
A lot. It tells us what they perceive themselves to be, in short their identity. Will the president of India ever get the title "emperor of norway"? no is the answer, but why no?

It is what the ordinary people think that matters. Foreigners knew the land as India, that too more as a continent, as the "lands of India", on the same note as "lands of Europe".
it tells us what they perceive the other person to be. no, they did not come as europeans, each of them came as british, french, spanish but not european,
Again, they knew india not as a country, but a different world altogether.
huh!!

Considering them better than the British is putting them on a pedestal. They were much, much worse in so many different ways.
As I said before, in balance the damage I think of british is more.
The British knew of course. How can one remain ignorant of the changes taking place in ones colony.
But you may call it inadvertent, or perhaps natural, inevitable.

You wouldn't bet on what? that india would have had a parliament if there was no partition?
parliamentary system, there would have been a total of three parliaments(one for hindu majority, one for muslim majority, one for whole), I do not know what to call that system.
Look. Lots of things are needed to form a modern nation state. A solid penal code, justice system, public institutions, roadways, railways. The Marathas weren't doing any of that as far as I can see.
Penal codes and justice systems exist from BC itself. The quran has one, the arthasastra details one. Roadways - if you remember your history lessons, the major expansion of roadways occured not during british but during the grand trunk road, i.e. sur dynasty. Railways was a invention in 1840's, do you expect them to be launched before that?

Public institutions- like libraries, police stations existed from long ago.
7-8 disparate kingdoms at war with each other are much much more difficult to unite than 500 subservient princely states who have little choice but to obey.
Do you know that during integration it were the smallest of states which created most of the problem?

I'm talking about the Period just after the Mughals consolidated their empire, all the way till the British left and even a few years into Independence.
wouldnt agree on this, the major difference, the mughals benefited by having industries in india whereas british benefited by shutting down and transporting them to manchester.

That, and now, think of the same story repeated, again and again, over a thousand years.
no doubt, but the dent put on psyche was less

True, but you can understand the horrible effect such a malevolent rule has on the population.
Talent gets wiped out. Artisans, craftsmen, warriors, leaders are periodically put to the sword, so that the voices of opposition get wiped out.
Again you forget an important difference, whereas for these rulers after consolidation, they depended on these artisans, craftsmen and others and thus did not have an incentive to kill all of them at one go, So during capture, huge killings but after consolidation, they had to protect them, these were the people who gave taxes and others.

the british intention was to kill these persons economically.

The rise of Hindu Nationalism with Bankim Chandra's narrative are indeed very important events. These along with reform movements, Rammohunroy, Vivekananda, etc. played a huge role in getting the dignity back that had been wiped out.
This was for the british period, the mughals damage was already in the process of cleaning up when the british intefered with marathas and sikhs.
Even, I would prefer reawakening actually, only, a reawakening after a long, long period of time.
As I said, for me it is extreme, as for me there were consistently efforts for rejunevating all through out the mughal period whereas it was deliberately crushed during the british period.

Overall, British India was a good thing!. After the World Wars, British attitude was humbled and they really liked Indians. They considered it a crown colony. What should have happened is this: India should have been self-governing and let the UK handle all military and world affairs. UK is really good at that. You would have an amazing partnership and a superb country. India and the UK would be a global superpower.

The Indians were mad because they had to change their old-fashioned ways, pay taxes, be civil, improve hygeine, pay homage to government, etc. Guess what, everyone in 1st rate countries has to do that! They instinctively fought back at the British.

The British government in the end, wanted what was best for India and to mold it into a western-style place (look at New Delhi) They did not abuse it. The private companies may have to an extent (but which company doesn't).

Modern Indians hate on the British. However, it was the British who supported India through both world wars and a lost of British troops died there. When they left in 47', what did they take? Gold?? Nothing.

Overall, British India was a good thing!. After the World Wars, British attitude was humbled and they really liked Indians. They considered it a crown colony. What should have happened is this: India should have been self-governing and let the UK handle all military and world affairs. UK is really good at that. You would have an amazing partnership and a superb country. India and the UK would be a global superpower.

The Indians were mad because they had to change their old-fashioned ways, pay taxes, be civil, improve hygeine, pay homage to government, etc. Guess what, everyone in 1st rate countries has to do that! They instinctively fought back at the British.

The British government in the end, wanted what was best for India and to mold it into a western-style place (look at New Delhi) They did not abuse it. The private companies may have to an extent (but which company doesn't).

Modern Indians hate on the British. However, it was the British who supported India through both world wars and a lost of British troops died there. When they left in 47', what did they take? Gold?? Nothing.

First of all , we didn't really need to be involved in the first world war and note that in both the wars the British announced that India declared war on Britain's Enemy without asking the Indian people . In the second war the only threat was from Japan once they invaded Burma , I'm we could have held then off without the help of the British , besides they were fighting the Americans on the other side

After so many Indian soldiers Fought and died for the British , they were Denied Independence , they weren't even given self rule instead the pass the Rowlat act which suppresses Civil Rights of Indians , can you blame the indians for getting mad

During 1947 there was already lots of pressure from the world ( mainly US and Russia ) against British Rule in India , you think it was a option for them to take anything let alone gold from India ? Also India was a colonial Economy any one should know those don't help the colony as much as the colonizer

Of course they did have lots of advantages , English is a common language in all states , helps communication , they also united the Indians . The Concept of India as a integral Union was non existent till the 1870s or so

I was having a read of this on bbc and came across comments such as

"The Great British Empire is indeed a lesson in history. One can learn from what they did right and wrong. The question, then, is, does the good outweigh the bad? I cannot speak for all the former colonies. I believe that the imperialism was a blessing in disguise. Sure, the conflict and turmoil is forever written in the history books, but the good was really good. The British came when the Mogul Empire was on its declination path. They brought law and order, and most importantly, technology with them. I do not believe that the vast lengths of Railway lines in the Indian subcontinent would have been possible without the colonization. This is just one of the many reasons why the British Empire did more good than bad."
I don't trust the available version of history. We don't have the facts. We don't really know how India was before the British came. The 'information' available may be actually be the propaganda of the then British government.

For instance now the Americans behave as if the American continents were totally uninhabited when the Europeans arrived there.

Back
Top Bottom