What's new

British drop 5.56 for the 7.62?

Reashot Xigwin

Reaction score
SAS to use bigger bullets to kill enemy outright after claiming 'shoot-to-wound' policy put their lives at risk

• Bullets upgrade recommended in top-secret report on SAS operations
  • Authors describe clashes with Taliban who ignore bullet wounds and carry on shooting

By Mark Nicol

PUBLISHED: 00:55 GMT, 17 March 2013 | UPDATED: 00:55 GMT, 17 March 2013

The SAS are being issued with new ammunition designed to kill the enemy outright after they condemned a ‘shoot-to-wound’ policy that put their lives at risk.

The elite troops will now use bigger, heavier rounds to overcome Islamic insurgents who are determined to fight to the death.

The bullets upgrade – and a new range of rifles designed to fire them – were recommended in a top-secret report on SAS operations in Afghanistan. It called for a return to a ‘shoot-to-kill’ policy and for heavier rounds to be issued to troops. The report’s authors described bloody clashes with Taliban jihadists who managed to ignore their bullet wounds and carry on shooting.

article-2294631-18B8DE70000005DC-496_634x394.jpg

On target: US Navy Seals use the powerful SCAR-H rifle which are designed to kill the enemy outright

The rounds currently issued as standard to SAS troops for their rifles are 5.56 mm calibre. In future, the troopers will be given 7.62 mm rounds – which are almost twice as heavy and designed to kill with a single shot.

Last night, a regiment insider said: ‘The shoot-to-wound policy was based on the assumption that once he was wounded an enemy combatant would stop fighting, and so would his comrades to give him first aid.

‘But this backfired against the Taliban. The 5.56 mm rounds did not take a big enough chunk out of them, allowing fanatical insurgents to keep on fighting despite their wounds. As a result, more SAS soldiers were shot and badly wounded.

‘The need for a heavier round was highlighted in the regiment’s post-Afghanistan report. Tests are now taking place on at least three rifles specially designed to fire the 7.62 mm rounds.

‘The difference in killing power between 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm is startling – the heavier rounds pack so much more of a punch.’

Rifles being tested at the SAS’s ranges in Hereford include the US-made Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (Heavy) Mk17 – known as the SCAR-H. It fires 7.62 mm rounds from a newly designed magazine that holds 20 rounds.

article-2294631-18B8DE78000005DC-112_634x474.jpg

Accurate: Prince Harry with his SA80 rifle in Afghanistan

article-2294631-18B9437B000005DC-148_634x184.jpg

Powerful: The SCAR-H rifle fires 7.62mm rounds from a newly designed magazine that holds 20 rounds

Different length barrels are available for close-quarters battle and for longer-range engagements. The rifle is already being used by United States Special Forces units, including US Navy Seals, who participated in the mission to eliminate Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan in 2011.

The best-performing rifle of those being assessed by the SAS will replace the regiment’s current standard issue weapon – the Canadian-manufactured Diemaco C8, which fires a 5.56 mm round and uses the standard Nato 30-round magazine. According to military experts, the C8 is a versatile weapon that can be fitted with a variety of scopes and aiming devices.

Other attachments include an underslung 40 mm grenade launcher.

The problem of 5.56 mm rounds lacking killing power in firefights is worse because the Taliban use 7.62 mm rounds in their AK-47 Kalashnikovs and Russian sniper rifles. The SAS’s report said the 7.62 mm rounds flew farther and with greater accuracy – giving the enemy a distinct advantage, especially in long-range engagements.

article-2294631-18B8DE3C000005DC-551_306x456.jpg

The bullets upgrade was recommended in a report on SAS (badge pictured) operations in Afghanistan

The only advantage to the 5.56 mm rounds is that, given their lighter weight, soldiers can carry more of them. Manufactured by BAE Systems in Crewe, they have a steel tip and core. The bullets are also lead-free to reduce environmental pollution. BAE has a £2 billion contract with the Ministry of Defence to produce these ‘ethical rounds’.

Tory MP Patrick Mercer, a former Army commander, said: ‘The 7.62 mm round is a good, meaty bullet and will drop your enemy with a single hit. The 5.56 mm cannot compete with it for stopping power and, according to many soldiers, the round has fallen short in Iraq and Afghanistan.

‘Insurgents who would have been fatally wounded by a 7.62 mm have been able to continue fighting and endanger the lives of our soldiers.

‘This is a positive step and I hope other regiments give consideration to returning to 7.62 mm rounds in the infantryman’s standard rifle. It could save lives and win battles.’

The MoD said: ‘Our troops in Afghanistan use a variety of highly effective weapons that fire a range of ammunition. They primarily use 5.56 mm rounds fired from the world-class SA80 A2 assault rifle and these have great power and accuracy.

‘For longer-range firefights, troops can use the general purpose machine gun, grenade machine gun, light machine gun and the 7.62 mm longer-range sharpshooter rifle.’

Read more: SAS to use bigger bullets to kill enemy outright after claiming 'shoot-to-wound' policy put their lives at risk | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I missed the L1A1 :frown:
British_FN_FAL_small.jpg

LOL. British got their *** kicked in Afghanistan. That is why.

Another lession, Nato learned from the Taliban. :rofl:

Oh the irony.

'But this backfired against the Taliban. The 5.56 mm rounds did not take a big enough chunk out of them, allowing fanatical insurgents to keep on fighting despite their wounds. As a result, more SAS soldiers were shot and badly wounded'

@Hyperion , remember I said I wanted to join your Tribal Militia if you ever set up one; scratch that....I ain't going against sh*t like that ! :fie:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what our friends have to say about this one when they suggested we shoild let go of g-3 and go for m4 /5.56.......its pity though americans realized this years ago that 5.56 is no good when it comes to middle eastern and asian terrain

LOL. British got their *** kicked in Afghanistan. That is why.

Another lession, Nato learned from the Taliban. :rofl:

Oh the irony.

:lol: LOL what a dumbass, laugh all you want. Just so you know , 40,000 Pakistanis have been killed indirectly or directly as a result of the Taliban that you have so much love for. Less than 3500 NATO troops have died in the entire war in Afghanistan. Going by the casualty figures,the only people that have really gotten their ***** kicked by the Taliban are innocent Pakistani Civillians.

:lol: LOL what a dumbass, laugh all you want. Just so you know , 40,000 Pakistanis have been killed indirectly or directly as a result of the Taliban that you have so much love for. Less than 3500 NATO troops have died in the entire war in Afghanistan. Going by the casualty figures,the only people that have really gotten their ***** kicked by the Taliban are innocent Pakistani Civillians.

i agree that Pakistan has endured the brunt of the great game, but i think RazPak was referring to the Afghan taleban, not TTP

i agree that Pakistan has endured the brunt of the great game, but i think RazPak was referring to the Afghan taleban, not TTP

Both of them are symbiotes. None of them can survive without the help of the other. They are almost the same thing. Just that one of them has the job of killing NATO troops, the other has the job of killing civillians and spreading panic and uncertaintly.

Both of them are symbiotes. None of them can survive without the help of the other. They are almost the same thing. Just that one of them has the job of killing NATO troops, the other has the job of killing civillians and spreading panic and uncertaintly.

true but the Afghan taleban are basically elders and their disciples of the anti-soviet mujahideen whereas a lot of TTP are neither veterans of the war nor are they reliant on the afghan taleban; they have plenty of other generous 'international donors' and their agenda is not in line with that of the Afghan taleban - which is more Afghan centric and not expansionist.

If I'm not mistaken, the Afghan taleban and the Hezb e Islami are even on record as having disowned TTP actions and are distancing themselves away though in the shadow of war sometimes interests do align.

More pertinently, whether one agrees with or sees justification in NATO campaign or not -- they are still perceived as invaders of Afghanistan and history has already proven what happens to those who invade Afghanistan....whereas the civilians in Pakistan have nothing at all to do with the conflicts on EITHER side.

And yes - i know that the former also have civilian blood on their hands too.

We should retain 7.62 but change the rifle package into a lighter, accurate, and more reliable platform, something along SCAR-H lines.

I wonder what our friends have to say about this one when they suggested we shoild let go of g-3 and go for m4 /5.56.......its pity though americans realized this years ago that 5.56 is no good when it comes to middle eastern and asian terrain

We should retain 7.62 but change the rifle package into a lighter, accurate, and more reliable platform, something along SCAR-H lines.

Scar is my favorite gun in COD :D

Pakistan should equip its soldiers with some modern assault rifle...

G3 is oldddddd....

Pakistan Army should have some class. Being powerful alone doesn't cut it, you need some class in 21st century...

history has already proven what happens to those who invade Afghanistan..

Firstly, "new range of rifles designed to fire them" lol, already ak-47. Many american troops take ak out on patrol.

For quote,
nalwaarmy.jpg

hari-singh-nalwa-by-bhagat-singh.jpg

Wali of Swat asks you: O, great sir how does the salwar you wear to hide from real warriors feel?? :P

And what happened to your "warriors"

Today they are they still there? Or did they face resistance?

Actually in Peshawar we have a small but very much existing Sikh minority. Pashto speaking of course. They're relics are all intact. No Bluestar type fiascos against them - and that too despite some bad history

I will have to say this.

The OP article is calling for change with the BLOODY SAS.

When they operate, they shoot to kill. This is kinda the MO when you are outnumbered behind enemy line.
It's kind of funny to hear the SAS have a shoot to wound order.

For a normal soldier. You don't need shoot to kill option. Each weapon platform the soldier carries into battlefield have their exact intented usage. People been in combat will know there are no 1 firearm for every situation. If you want accuracy in a respectable range, you bust out a SR-25. If you want to lay down a Base of Fire, you bust out your SAW or 240Bravo. If you want to move and engage target, you use your M4. If you are in close quarter, that's what your side arm is for.

SOG, unlike a platoon or even a squad of soldier, they are intented to go in alone in groups of 2s and 4s, they can't afford to have 1 of each in their operation. For them, you need a more lethal, first shot weapon. SCAR seems a logical choice.

However, for a "Squaddie" like us sorry for the British and Aussie word..... 556 is still the way to go, you got more possibility with less, A LOT less, if you know what i mean.

By the way. US Soldier are NOT ALLOW to pick up an AK and use it in Patrol for 2 reasons.

1.) If you died, the AK will be recycled.
2.) You may create a confusion situation if you fire your AK, soldier ID gunfire by it distinct noise. You fire AK downrange your guy will shoot at you.

When you see an AK, you take out the firing pin, take out the barrel and discard them, that standard in my Company. I don't kow if that's standard in all US unit.

The British SF (SAS) are opting for the 7.62mm for certain missions just like the US SF opted for 7.62 long ago in certain roles. Does this mean the entire UK army is switching? Of course not! Just like all SFs the UK SF will have access to a wide variety of weapons and calibres. I'm actually surprised it took the UK SF to make this call when the likes of the US and India have been 7.62mm for CT ops for so long despite 5.56mm being the standard issue battle round for their mainstream infantry.

Back
Top Bottom