What's new

Britain suffers highest daily death toll from Coronavirus: Near's daily death rate to Italy & Spain

Shocking news from UK, has NHS and government collapsed totally?

UK daily coronavirus death toll surpasses 900 for first time
Figures set to match deadliest days in Italy and Spain

3500.jpg

Has UK FAILED?

More than 900 people are reported to have died from coronavirus in UK hospitals in a day, fast approaching the deadliest days in Italy and Spain, the European countries worst hit by the virus.

The government announced an increase of 938 deaths, taking the UK’s total to 7,097.

Despite the new record daily death toll, the number of new infections and hospital admissions in Britain is beginning to show signs of flattening, according to Prof Stephen Powis, the NHS medical director for England.

The number of new infections increased by 5,491 - a similar rate to the last few days. Speaking at the daily coronavirus press briefing on Wednesday, Powis said: “We are beginning to see the benefits I believe but the really critical thing is that we have to continue following instructions - we have to continue following social distancing, because if we don’t the virus will start to spread again.”

Jon Cohen, emeritus professor of infectious diseases at Brighton & Sussex medical school, said: “It is obviously terribly disappointing to see another jump in the number of patients who have sadly died from this infection. The main concern though is the risk that it will be perceived by the public as a ‘failure’ of the social distancing regime, and in particular with the holiday weekend approaching, as a reason to pay less attention to the government advice.”

Earlier, NHS England reported 828 deaths in English hospitals in the last 24 hours, with a further 108 patients dying in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Wednesday’s figures marked a second record rise in the number of deaths in successive days, after 854 deaths were announced on Tuesday. If all the coronavirus deaths announced on Wednesday occurred within a 24-hour period it would represent a death every 92 seconds.

With the UK death rate still rising, latest data suggest it could soon match the worst daily fatality rates seen in Italy and Spain.

Play Video
4:16
What happens if you are in hospital with coronavirus - video explainer
Unlike the UK, Europe’s hardest-hit countries are thought to have passed the peak of the epidemic. Italy announced its highest count of 971 deaths on 28 March, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Spain’s worst day was last Friday when it announced 950 deaths; on Wednesday, it recorded 757 deaths.

The UK’s latest figures came after the respected Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation projected that the UK would become the country worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic in Europe.

It predicts 66,000 UK deaths from Covid-19 by August, with a peak of nearly 3,000 a day, based on a steep climb in daily deaths early in the outbreak.

John Burn-Murdoch

✔@jburnmurdoch

Replying to @jburnmurdoch

Oh, one final thing before I log off:

Courtesy of a brilliant tip-off from @Crick247, here’s a very interesting bit of weekly "seasonality" in reported UK daily deaths:

Every Sunday and Monday, reported deaths are lower than Saturday. Every Tuesday, they rise sharply
1f9d0.png

Why?

5:25 AM - Apr 8, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

179 people are talking about this

The figures from NHS England show London remains the worst hit area in the UK, but the gap with other regions is narrowing. Daily deaths in the capital fell from 224 to 201, while figures for all the other regions rose, with the exception of the East of England.

The NHS provided a regional breakdown:

• East of England 70
• London 201
• Midlands 171
• North East & Yorkshire 101
• North West 128
• South East 120
• South West 37

The 828 patients who died in England were aged between 22 and 103, with all but 46 having underlying health conditions.

The figures announced this week follow a pattern of lower than expected figures on Sunday and Monday, followed by sharp rises on Tuesday and Wednesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/08/uk-daily-death-toll-to-surpass-900-for-first-time

Another day of terrible news from UK: 980 Britons died today. NHS has failed.

National Health Service has Failed in UK, United Kingdom was two weeks ahead than any country to prepare, yet they acted delayed. 980 per day death is severe.

Coronavirus latest news: UK death toll jumps 980 in 24 hours in biggest rise yet – more deadly than Spain’s worst day of crisis

A total of 8,958 patients have died in UK hospitals as of Friday afternoon, up by 980 in 24 hours– the biggest rise in daily deaths yet.

The UK's deadliest day has exceeded records set by both Italy (919) and Spain (950).

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson is apparently up and about, able to take short walks as part of his recovery.

Yesterday, the Prime Minister returned to a ward at St Thomas' Hospital in London after spending three nights in intensive care.

in our community so many people have died. it's scary and the worst thing is you can't even attend the janaza. People who you used to call uncle and see on the streets - gone.

Which community are you talking about?

Another day of terrible news from UK: 980 Britons died today. NHS has failed.

National Health Service has Failed in UK, United Kingdom was two weeks ahead than any country to prepare, yet they acted delayed. 980 per day death is severe.

Coronavirus latest news: UK death toll jumps 980 in 24 hours in biggest rise yet – more deadly than Spain’s worst day of crisis

A total of 8,958 patients have died in UK hospitals as of Friday afternoon, up by 980 in 24 hours– the biggest rise in daily deaths yet.

The UK's deadliest day has exceeded records set by both Italy (919) and Spain (950).

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson is apparently up and about, able to take short walks as part of his recovery.

Yesterday, the Prime Minister returned to a ward at St Thomas' Hospital in London after spending three nights in intensive care.

Which community are you talking about?

The Pakistani community in the city I live in (in the UK). I don't even live in a big city like London, Manchester, Bradford, Birmingham etc. Yet daily we are having a death in our small Pakistani diaspora.

Allah maaf kare - its scary. The worst thing is you cannot even go to the janaza or offer fatiha as masjid or peoples home because of social distancing.

The Pakistani community in the city I live in (in the UK). I don't even live in a big city like London, Manchester, Bradford, Birmingham etc. Yet daily we are having a death in our small Pakistani diaspora.

Allah maaf kare - its scary. The worst thing is you cannot even go to the janaza or offer fatiha as masjid or peoples home because of social distancing.

What I am hearing is with people having underlying conditions, from UK, Bangladeshi and Indian communities and areas are more over-crowded, Black communities are also badly hit, Pakistan, European and English white are also hit but lower as compared to others.

What I am hearing is with people having underlying conditions, from UK, Bangladeshi and Indian communities and areas are more over-crowded, Black communities are also badly hit, Pakistan, European and English white are also hit but lower as compared to others.

Yeah. Our diet is still farmer style diet, roti, butter, curry, doodh Patti, kebabs, boti etc - but our lifestyle is office based or taxi etc, very sedentary. Lots of older people with diabetes, heart disease (a lot of smoking too in elder generation).

Also we tend to live with our elders. English people leave thier elderly alone, but in our culture at least one son lives with them. This makes isolating them harder.

Finally we tend to live in the central parts of cities, housing closer together, shops close by as well as masjid etc. Lots 9f people walk to places as they are very close.

Then all added with the pendu mentality of bravado made conditions where it spread in our community quicker. Our elders and many younger people took the attitude of "Allah malik hai, nobody dies before thier time" etc and didn't take precautions. Now everyone is doing that but we were behind the curve.

Even now some people are more interested in 5G conspiracy theories than science. We have WhatsApp uncles who can't put 2 sentences together but sharing videos of conspiracy theories.

Today another 917 Britons dead due to the disease. Where is NHS ? Westminster Government?

Britons evacuated from Wuhan regret coming home

Coronavirus outbreak

Some who left Chinese city as coronavirus hit wish they were still there now that lockdown has lifted

Jessica Murray

Fri 10 Apr 2020 17.24 BSTLast modified on Fri 10 Apr 2020 18.21 BST

Matt Raw leaves Arrowe Park Hospital in Wirral on 13 February. ‘It feels a little bit like out of the pot, into the fire,’ he said recently of leaving China for the UK. Photograph: Peter Byrne/AFP via Getty Images
Like many of the Britons who were evacuated from Wuhan, the centre of the coronavirus pandemic, it was a difficult journey for Anthony May-Smith, involving a frantic last-minute dash to the airport through the locked down city in January.

All those repatriated from Wuhan underwent two weeks of quarantine in the Wirral, and after a brief stint of normality, May-Smith is now back in lockdown, wishing he had stayed put in China.

“It’s just really weird, getting thrown back into it,” the 26-year-old from Lichfield said.

He never imagined that the UK would end up in a lockdown: “It just makes you think, all the hassle that we went through to come back, was it really worth it?”

He was in Wuhan visiting his girlfriend, Yenny, and had been offered a job teaching English there. Now he’s working as a truck driver and regularly sleeps in his vehicle to avoid the risk of infecting his grandparents at home.

“Looking at it now, I wish I hadn’t come back,” he said. “I would be coming out of lockdown now, and instead I’m just going into one.”

He’s not alone. Fellow evacuee Matt Raw, 38, is enjoying life in lockdown in Knutsford, but said if he’d known how bad the outbreak was going to get in Britain, he would have stayed in China.

“It feels a little bit like out of the pot, into the fire,” said Raw, who was living in Wuhan with his wife, Ying, and 75-year-old mother, Hazel, who suffers from dementia. “We made the wrong decision coming back here. We should have stayed in China.”

He said the UK was “slow to act” and he was surprised the UK didn’t quarantine people flying into the country. “I just sat watching the news incredulously every single day. What was the point of putting us in quarantine?”

Advertisement

He said he feels lucky to be living through lockdown in a spacious house with a garden, adding that his home in Wuhan was more cramped, and like many inner-city apartments in China, had little natural light.

“We made our decision based on the best information available at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.” he said. “Yes, I wish we’d stayed there. But by the same token, it’s also nice to be back over here again.”

FacebookTwitterPinterest
Sindy Siddle and nine-year-old daughter Jasmine in a picture taken by Jeff Siddle as they left China to escape Coronavirus Photograph: Siddle family
Jeff and Sindy Siddle, now in lockdown in Prudoe, Northumberland, also questioned whether leaving Wuhan had been the best course of action, but decided that – despite their nightmare journey – it was the best thing to do.

“Overall I think we still made the right decision, but certainly we have asked the question,” said Jeff.

The couple, along with their 10-year-old daughter, Jasmine, had been visiting Sindy’s family in a village in Hubei province, three hours drive from Wuhan, when the lockdown took effect.

“Here, we can stay at home, we can do our jobs no problem,” said Sindy, an accounting assistant. “And Jasmine can do her school work. Back in Wuhan I was worried about her being the only one off school for a long time, but now all the kids are off, so I’m much more relaxed.”

The one positive to come out of their Wuhan ordeal is their preparedness for the outbreak over here. “I think we are probably more cautious than a lot of the people in the UK because we’ve been through it before,” said Jeff.

FacebookTwitterPinterest
Chris Hill with his four-year-old daughter Renee Gao. Photograph: Family Handout/PA
“We’ve been much more worried about it and we go out a lot less than our friends and family. We’re so worried we don’t go out beyond the garden, other than to the supermarket once a week, and we do click and collect to avoid going in.”

The family originally faced being split apart, when Sindy was told she wouldn’t be allowed on the UK repatriation flight as she had a Chinese passport.

Chris Hill, another Briton out in Wuhan, faced a similar problem after the Foreign Office was unable to confirm whether his wife and four-year-old daughter, both Chinese nationals, would be able to join him on the flight home.

He decided to stay put.

“I made the choice to stay because I didn’t want to risk leaving them,” said the 38-year-old from Sunderland, who has lived in Wuhan for 12 years and works as an English language teacher. “I did falter a couple of times and I would start having regrets. But I knew the lockdown wouldn’t last forever.”

After nearly 76 days stuck inside, and tight restrictions on movement still in place, he’s confident he was better off in China. “I’m still glad I made the decision to stay,” he said.

Yesterday 3 people in our local community died of Corona. 1 bengali uncle who was my dad's friend, a Pakistani man who lives on my parents street, and one of my old class fellows father.

Yesterday 3 people in our local community died of Corona. 1 bengali uncle who was my dad's friend, a Pakistani man who lives on my parents street, and one of my old class fellows father.

Any total count of how many Pakistanis, Indians, Banglais, Afghans, Iranian and Asians have died in UK now?

Any total count of how many Pakistanis, Indians, Banglais, Afghans, Iranian and Asians have died in UK now?

We don't have a breakdown yet but I think I read 33% of people who died have been of BAME origin (black Asian or mixed ethnicity).

Is Britain Undercounting the Human and Economic Toll of Coronavirus?
According to new statistics, the death toll from the virus could be at least 10 percent higher than officially reported because of deaths in nursing homes and private residences.

Britain has a hidden coronavirus crisis – and it's shaped by inequality
Frances-Ryan,-L.png

Frances Ryan

From hungry families to victims of domestic violence, society’s least privileged are being hit hardest by the pandemic

@drfrancesryan
Wed 15 Apr 2020 09.00 BSTLast modified on Wed 15 Apr 2020 09.01 BST

• A mobile food bank in Trafalgar Square, central London, 10 April 2020. Photograph: Nils Jorgensen/Rex/Shutterstock
As the pandemic spreads across the world, it’s the number of tragic deaths and the hunt for a vaccine that dominate headlines. The social fallout of the virus is receiving less attention. The women locked in with abusive partners. The vulnerable children, invisible to social workers now that schools are closed. We might call them the hidden casualties of coronavirus: the ones who are unable to find safety within the four walls of home.

Take the families going hungry. Research conducted by the Food Foundation has revealed that 3 million people in Britain are living in households where someone has been forced to skip some meals, and 1.5 million people have gone without food for a whole day because they had no money or access to food.

The causation is clear enough: a cocktail of rising food bills, unemployment and reduced wages from the pandemic, the paucity of the social security system, and isolation of those for whom even a trip to Tesco is now a luxury.

It’s not hard to imagine how this is playing out in homes and communities across the UK. Doing “one big shop” to avoid going out only works if you happen to have £150 in your bank account. When panic buying reduces stock, low-income families who are usually able to shop around for cheaper products are forced to buy whatever’s left. Couple this with a fall or drop in income, and meagre universal credit provision, and it’s clear why some food banks are seeing as much as a 300% increase in footfall compared with this time last year, according to the Independent Food Aid Network. All this while donations of basic supplies plummet

Or consider those struggling to pay the rent. New research shows that a fifth of private renters had to choose between paying for food and bills and paying their landlords this month. The government has introduced a temporary ban on evictions but a quarter surveyed have already lost their home. Unable to pay the rent, they had to voluntarily move in with friends or parents.

Listen to a press conference from Downing Street, and you would be forgiven for thinking none of this was happening. Recent days have seen blatant attempts to depoliticise coronavirus, as if the pandemic exists in a vacuum devoid of economic or social factors. Boris Johnson falling ill seemed to confirm the idea that coronavirus is a great leveller – after all, not even an Eton-educated prime minister was immune from the effects of the disease.

Meanwhile, ministers have adopted “kind tokens” as a response to political concerns: from clapping for NHS staff working in cash-strapped hospitals to painted hearts in windows for abuse victims whose local refuges have probably closed.

We are witnessing the sanitisation of social problems: the government is trying to convince us that gestures are a substitute for sufficient funding, and that the comfortable are as vulnerable as the insecure.

In reality, Britain is experiencing a public health crisis defined by inequality. Yes, the lockdown has forced some, such as the self-employed, into contact with the UK’s decimated welfare system for the first time; but the majority of the detrimental social effects of the virus are distributed along existing faultlines.

Almost 2 million people were already undernourished before coronavirus hit, with one in five under-15s living with an adult experiencing food insecurity after a decade of austerity. Hunger, much like insecure housing or domestic abuse, is not a new phenomenon. There were already cracks in our society, and we should have known that given the slightest pressure they would cause it to shatter.

As the number of cases rises in the UK and an extended lockdown seems inevitable, it is only right we start a frank conversation about the social fallout of the virus. How will prolonged isolation affect those who were struggling to begin with, and what should the government do to help them? While ministers suggest we paint hearts in windows, there are millions who will be preoccupied tending to more pressing material concerns: is there food in the cupboard? How will they pay rent? Are their children safe? This is a national crisis – just not the one we’re hearing about.

• Frances Ryan is a Guardian columnist

Currently in Britain the only people being counted are those who were in a hospital, diagnosed by a Doctor AND then the diagnosis was confirmed by a test. If after that you die - you are in the COVID death count.

If you are at hospital and are diagnosed by a doctor but your test isn't done yet and you die - they don't count it.
If you die at home - they don't count it.
If you die in an old peoples home/care home - they don't count it.

These numbers are/will be available eventually, for example the Office of national statistics revealed at least 15% more COVID related deaths happened in March than in the govt statistics. Certain care homes have revealed how many COVID related deaths they've had.

Why isn't the government showing true figures?

1. Probably to cover up it's incompetence.
2. Care home figures and figures of people who died at home are harder to get hold of on a daily basis (although most other European countries have managed).

According to some stats, in Europe care home deaths made up between 47-52% of the overall fatalities related to COVID.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ronavirus-why-we-dont-know-true-uk-death-toll

upload_2020-4-15_9-58-22.png

upload_2020-4-15_9-59-30.png

847 more deaths reported today, total is now over 14,500.

Of course this does not include people who died in homes or care facilities.

British-Pakistani women in Manchester help needy during COVID-19 lockdown
World
Ramsha Khan
May 10, 2020
Initiative led by Roshi Javed provides medical supplies, food, safety and security to NHS staff and needy individuals

ShareNext Story >>>

287310_8092784_updates.jpg

British Pakistani women in Manchester head to donate food to the community. Photo:Geo News/Ramsha Khan
MANCHESTER: A group of British Pakistani women in Manchester have created a community support group to fight challenges caused by COVID-19 lockdown in Ramadan.

The initiative which is led by Roshi Javed, a leading community activist, is providing medical supplies, food, safety and security to National Health Services (NHS) staff and individuals in need.

Javed started the initiative, in association with Muslims for Britain, with up to 30 Muslim families from Manchester who provide aid as well as collect donations to run the program.

“I felt that I had a duty as a Muslim to help my community in need, I am born and bred in Manchester therefore this city is very close to my heart,” Javed said.

Atifa Shah, of Muslims for Britain said, “We have distributed 3,000 hot meals to the NHS and key frontline workers and the homeless. We have also distributed over a thousand food packs to vulnerable communities such as the elderly and people living below the poverty line. We have achieved all of this just within the last month.”

287310_254645_updates.jpg

Women load the food items in their car before departing for distribution. Photo: Geo News/author
Every Friday, over a hundred bags of food rations are provided to mosques and food banks across Manchester, who distribute them to families in need. During the weekends, the group distributes face masks and gloves to key workers in stores across greater Manchester who may be vulnerable to the coronavirus, revealed the organisation.

Network activities to distribute aid are organised through social media outlets such as Facebook and WhatsApp, where various members are designated roles to achieve charitable goals. This also helps adhering to the social distancing guidelines in the UK.

Farhat Rasheed Khan, a volunteer of the group, said, “I donate weekly to this charity; this country has given me so much security and love, so the least I can do is to give back to people in need, also this is what Islam and Ramadan is all about.”

Within the last week, the network successfully has provided hundreds of rations every week to local NHS hospitals and vulnerable people across Manchester. However, due to Ramadan, this number has increased as the charity tries to provide to Muslim families in need.

287310_2036453_updates.jpg

A man receives donation from the women. Photo: Geo News/Ramsha Khan
“Ramadan is a holy month and we have a large number of Muslims in need due to the financial collapse in UK and due to businesses shutting down many Muslim families are struggling. We are reaching out to more people this month," Javed said.

Since the lock down, up to two million British citizens have applied for government welfare and universal credit and claims of job seekers allowance have soared up to 300,000.

According to Greater Together Manchester, a charity combating homelessness, over 5,000 people are homeless across greater Manchester.

Back
Top Bottom