ArsalanKhan21

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-51838298

Bristol sisters aim to raise awareness of 'honour hate'
  • 13 March 2020
_111252845_de47.jpg

Two sisters who had experienced "honour hate" in their community are to work to raise awareness of it in schools.

Amaleehah and Nadia Aslam-Forrester, from Bristol, were targeted by members of the Asian community for posting photos of themselves in skirts online.

The sisters, who have a Pakistani mother and English father, said they were "slut-shamed" for not upholding cultural norms of women's behaviour.

They are now working with a charity to educate young people about the issue.

So-called honour crimes are acts that have been committed to protect or defend the supposed honour or reputation of a family and extended community.

Amaleehah Aslam-Forrester, 22, said the pair had always been creative and would use Instagram to express their love of art, modelling and clothes.

However, they faced a backlash online for the photographs because of what they said were "deeply ingrained cultural pressures".

_111252848_img_43812.jpg

Image caption Amaleelah said the "hate messages" they received were "awful"
Their social media presence also alarmed their mother.

Worried about their safety, she put the sisters in touch with Integrate, a youth-led charity in Bristol which has campaigned for gender and racial equality and been supported by Sport Relief.

They attended a series of workshops with other young women about issues including female genital mutilation, sexism and honour-based violence and eventually made a film about the issue.

Amaleehah said: "In our community, honour lies within the body of a woman.

"There's always pressure on her to uphold men's honour in her behaviour and also in the way she dresses.

'Hate messages'
"We had one case where someone told us to drink bleach [on social media].

"We got a lot of hate messages. Some people were anonymous, making fake accounts. It was awful.

"And that was all because we were being judged, there was stereotyping involved."

She said "slut-shaming" in general was about women's honour and there is no culture in society that does not experience some form of this.

"Integrate gave us a voice in a community that didn't really understand us."

Amaleehah is now employed to raise awareness of honour hate in all communities in schools across the UK.

For me this raises a few questions

1. Who are these people that are sending them hate messages?
2. How did those people find out about them posting pics in skirts?
3. Were these people already stalking them on Instagram?
4. Like who has enough time on their hand to go around on social media to find girls with even a slight hint of Pakistani genes and then start playing the moral-police.

P.S. the thread title has been deliberately altered to mislead, they are not Pakistani nor does the article subject mention that, they are British with an English father.

Sounds like attention-getter folks needing some publicity. :-)

A visible social and cultural attack is coming towards women is Pakistan. Someone wants to create new issues here. Beware!

4. Like who has enough time on their hand to go around on social media to find girls with even a slight hint of Pakistani genes and then start playing the moral-police.

P.S. the thread title has been deliberately altered to mislead, they are not Pakistani nor does the article subject mention that, they are British with an English father.
And a Pakistani mother.

They attended a series of workshops with other young women about issues including female genital mutilation, sexism and honour-based violence and eventually made a film about the issue.

She said "slut-shaming" in general was about women's honour and there is no culture in society that does not experience some form of this.

"Integrate gave us a voice in a community that didn't really understand us."

Amaleehah is now employed to raise awareness of honour hate in all communities in schools across the UK.

Its basically a resume. Its virtue signally to those that want to employ them for these kinds of purposes.

that still doesn't make them Pakistani.

It might suit you to disown them in this case but if they went to the Pakistani embassy and applied for a Pakistani passport I think they would get one.

It might suit you to disown them in this case but if they went to the Pakistani embassy and applied for a Pakistani passport I think they would get one.

But they probably don't have one, and Bristol isn't in Pakistan. Its just fashionable to seek media coverage as the oppressed enlightened one amongst the savages.

Everyone on social media gets trolled.

Let's be honest here - thier mum married a gora. They live in Bristol not Bradford. They're aspiring models. Hardly Conservative Pakistani kids are they?

There are plenty of Pakistani models in Pakistan who don't get hate mail (actually they probably do). They are making careers out of modelling in Pakistan. Yet these pair expect us to believe that they're under social pressure in Britain? More people are likely to send them dik pix than hate mail.

But they probably don't have one, and Bristol isn't in Pakistan. Its just fashionable to seek media coverage as the oppressed enlightened one amongst the savages.

Let's be honest here - thier mum married a gora. They live in Bristol not Bradford. They're aspiring models. Hardly Conservative Pakistani kids are they?

There are plenty of Pakistani models in Pakistan who don't get hate mail (actually they probably do). They are making careers out of modelling in Pakistan. Yet these pair expect us to believe that they're under social pressure in Britain? More people are likely to send them dik pix than hate mail.
It doesn't matter if they have a passport or not. The point is they are entitled to one as much as any British born child with 2 Pakistani parents.
Their mother married a gora, so what?
Pakistanis being judgemental is hardly anything new. In fact, that is the real point of the article. How someone lives their life and who they marry should be none of anyone's business but their own.
Those living in a country like Britain should be a bit more sensitive to this, it won't be long before this becomes quite common and there will be plenty who have criticised others for marrying people of other ethnicities who will be eating their own words.

I don't think so, they will get a POC card ( Pakistan Origin Card ) but not passport. I know this because i have 2 kids who are Aussie born but as i didn't register them with in the first 12 months after their birth they won't get citizenship now.

P.S. This is not to say that if they really wanted to they won't be able to get a Pakistani passport but thats not the point.

It doesn't matter if they have a passport or not. The point is they are entitled to one as much as any British born child with 2 Pakistani parents.
Their mother married a gora, so what?
Pakistanis being judgemental is hardly anything new. In fact, that is the real point of the article. How someone lives their life and who they marry should be none of anyone's business but their own.
Those living in a country like Britain should be a bit more sensitive to this, it won't be long before this becomes quite common and there will be plenty who have criticised others for marrying people of other ethnicities who will be eating their own words.

Exactly what i mentioned in my earlier post.

Somebody reached out to these girls to commence narrative-building for acceptance of nudity. Many stories are CREATED to influence minds.

Did you read where it said they have a Pakistani mother?

On topic, I simply have one question:

Why is it an honour crime for Pakistanis or Pakistani origin individuals but merely slut shaming for anyone else?

Slut shaming in general should be called an honour crime by definition, whether white, Brown or whatever. Some female is being accused - rightly or wrongly - of trampy behaviour. This is slut shaming. What makes it an "honour crime"??

Because some attention seeker said so right?

Hindutva run BBC needs to get a grip seriously.

This is precisely right.

What these tramps are experiencing is standard slut shaming, nothing special because they're "Muslim" or "Pakistani" or "Asian" or whoever the daily express's preferred eastern target for liberation from horrible eastern men may be that day.

Back
Top Bottom