What's new

Breaking : Blast at Lal Shehbaz shrine

Geo news showing footage of human parts dumped in گندا نالہ by administration.
These are parts of blast victims.
جئے بھٹو

@Zibago

Try to catch the drift here. That mentioning of Burqa and woman being used for attack on Shrine. I have been there twice (stopped there for a while during travel) and I have seen it all that woman use to visit shrine in Burqa/veil. There is no proper arrangement of security at all and all the funding, support by the people etc goes nowhere to see. Thursday was a deliberate and planned choice due to presence of maximum people at shrine. Woman suicide attackers possibility is close to none here and these findings carries less weight until & unless ISIS/attackers claim it to be a female terrorist. The security measures by the administrators of such places, are must and need of time that mostly they pay less attention hence, an easy target risking many lives like this. IMO, as per our culture and customs as well, Burqa is not the problem that many women adopts it but the lake of security arrangements by administrators of such places.
I was too young to remember much about this shrine but at all the shrines i have been to security is lax because people dont think that shrines of people who preached love and harmony in their teachings wpuld be targeted by elents of hate and destruction but they need to wakeup they should improve security measures and pur rural police must be trained to handle tough situations no region is off limits to these terrorists

16807016_1321634324549500_8093572072219991482_n.jpg

Lal Shahbaz Qalandar bombing: Death toll rises to 88, CTD to investigate

Director General Health Services Sindh Dr Hassan Murad Shah on Saturday confirmed that the death toll from the Lal Shahbaz Qalandar attack had risen to 88 since Friday night.

According to an official list of casualties, which he shared with the media, 76 bodies were received and handled at the Shah Abdullah Institute of Medical Sciences, four at the People's Medical University (PMH) Hospital in Shaheed Benazirabad, and eight at Chandka Medical University Hospital in Larkana.

According to police sources Tariq Wilayat has been removed from his position as SSP Jamshoro on Saturday, the position will be taken over by Tanvir Alam Odho.

The Sindh government will have the case investigated through Sindh police’s Counterterrorism Department (CTD), as was done in suicide bombings in Jacobabad during Ashura and at Shikarpur’s shrine, and then again last year in Shikarpur on the second day of Eidul Azha.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
“There might be some handler or facilitator of the suicide bomber who must have provided him logistical support. Our initial assessment is that the suicide bomber must have been facilitated by three people," he said.

According to a police official, “It will be premature to share anything or take any position at this point of time, as such cases always offer different angles of investigation and commenting on them immediately is likely to spoil the investigation or distract the authorities’ attentions."

Sehwan police had lodged a case on Friday against one suicide bomber and three facilitators involved in the Feb 16 suicide bombing at the shrine of Lal Shahbaz Qalandar.

The accused remained unidentified.

The First Information Report for the case was lodged for crime no 16/2017 under Sections 302, 353, 324, 295, 120/B, 440, 149 of the Pakistan Penal Code, 3/4 of the Explosive Substance Act and 6/7 of the Anti Terrorism Act.

A police source confirmed that an unspecified number of suspects were detained during raids at different places in Sehwan.

The shrine has now been opened for the general public. Earlier, the police authorities had decided to provide controlled access to devotees to the shrine.

Dhamaal will not be affected. It will be performed as per schedule, as was seen on Friday evening after the shrine was cleansed of debris, fittings, and other stuff that had fallen on the floor. The courtyard and inner sanctum of the shrine was also washed”, a source said.

Police had also completed the geo-fencing part of the investigation.

Geo-fencing entails police and security agencies obtaining data of all calls, incoming and outgoing, that have touched the towers of different cell phone companies in a given area.

In the present case, the authorities have obtained data from all cell phone companies’ towers located in Sehwan and around the shrine. “After obtaining that data we then analyze that data to see which numbers are apparently suspicious from their frequent incoming and outgoing calls”, said a police officer.

Till Saturday, the authorities had not handed over unidentified remains of the victims, as police wanted to complete their DNA sampling investigation.

Some remains were still present on the premises of the shrine, “But these can’t be used for sampling so they will be disposed of accordingly," said a police officer.

Speaking to media, Jamshoro SSP Tariq Wilayat admitted that there was a security lapse despite police presence in the shrine.

“There is security always present in this area. It was even present during the blast, which is why one of our police officers was martyred as well. However, it is obvious that there was some sort of lapse, and that lapse will be identified."

Probably the best article I have read about Lal Shahbaz Qalandar and his shrine and the problem with the society in general. Just consider that we live in Pakistan where limbs of the victims were found at the rubbish dump!

Damadam mast Qalandar is a cry of rebellion against established orders
SULEMAN AKHTAR — UPDATED about 2 hours ago

Sehwan is different. Unlike the more officially-accepted shrines of Pakistan, such as the Data Ganj Bakhsh in Lahore, Bari Imam in Islamabad, and the lustrous tombs of the Suhrawardi sufis in Multan, Sehwan is rebellious and raging.

Sehwan is Laal — the red of resistance. Sehwan is Shahbaz — a soaring falcon with secrets in its heart and no fixed abode. Sehwan is Qalandar — the disorderly, the wanderer, the antithesis of the established law, form, and idols.

Sehwan is everything that a lot of contemporary Pakistan is not. It is inclusive and it does not impose religion. Sehwan is one of those cultural, geographical, and social spaces that stand on the peripheries of time and history, and defy everything that is official, resist the order of the day.

When Hindus perform the mehndi at the beginning of Lal Shahbaz's urs, one cannot tell if the Partition ever happened. When transgenders take part in dhamal and become part of the crowd without any mockery, one cannot tell that this is the same society where so much stigma is associated with deviant sexuality and gender.

When Shias and Sunnis pray in the same vicinity and a red alamflutters on the top of the shrine that belongs to a man named Usman, one cannot tell that we are in a country plagued by sectarian tensions. When Suhrawardis, Ismailis, and Shivaites claim the Qalandar to be one of their own, one cannot tell that we are living in an extremely polarised society.
Terrorists seem to have a problem with this. They claim to be at war with Pakistan. However, one must pause and ask as to which Pakistan are they at war with. They seem to differentiate between a Pakistan of puritanical seminaries, and a Pakistan of shrines, churches, imambargahs, and Ahmadi places of worship.

When we look at all the terrorist attacks in the last decade or so, a pictures emerges which shows that everything that does not fit into a narrow definition of religion is condemnable to death and destruction. It is an ideology called takfir and takes on the form of militant extremism.

However, there exists a softer narrative that may not seem dangerous on the surface but fuels militant extremism by being apologetic about it. This worldview considers Islam of the masses as something alien to the spirit of the religion. Shirk, jahalat, bida’t, ghair-Islami are the buzzwords here. This holier-than-thou narrative is mostly prevalent mostly among the urban middle-classes who are contemptuous of indigenous and syncretic strains of religion.

This narrative may not be the official state narrative but when the state lets certain non-state actors off the hook again and again, questions need to be asked.

Qalandar rose up in defiance when some forms of sufism were adopted by kings' courts and saints were awarded state titles. Damadam mast Qalandar is a raging cry of rebellion against tyranny of established orders.
A day after the attack, devotees gathered at the shrine to resume dhamal in defiance of not only the attackers but also the police. One of the workers who looks after the shrine, Haja Shah, had tears rolling down his cheeks as he said, "This is no place for the police. This is our place."

Centuries after his death, despite all the trials and tribulations of time and history, Lal Shahbaz Qalandar continues defying the ruling order of the time, and probably this timeless resistance is something that terrorists are most afraid of.

Some call it a miracle. Some call it history. And above and beyond miracles and history, the Qalandar continues to dance.

“I am Usman i Marwandi, a friend of Khwaja Mansoor (Hallaj)
Although people blame me, I will dance upon the gallows”.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1315839/da...a-cry-of-rebellion-against-established-orders

Last edited:
nothing will happen besides reactionary local crackdowns and more deployment.
You'll see more rangers and police but that is that.

We all will be here one month later with "blasts" reduced and "qaum ka jazba"
To use the only sentence that suits us in my opinion
"Hijron ki qaum hain, taaliyan peet rahe honge"
I think all Pakistan intellectuals should seat together and do a brain storming. Possibly a strategy can be worked out. Using force is never going to bring a solution. I heard an interview of apalistani general. He told this and I fully Agee with hom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom