What's new

Boris Johnson: Children should learn Mandarin in school

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
Boris Johnson has said children in British schools should be taught Mandarin as standard.

The Mayor of London suggested Britons should be learning as much as possible about China as it continues to expand its influence globally.

Mr Johnson, who added that he was also learning Mandarin himself, spoke as he continued his six day trade mission in China.

When asked if children should be taught Mandarin as a standard part of the curriculum he said: "Why not? Absolutely. My kids are learning it so why not? Definitely, definitely."

He said this would enable children to grow up naturally knowing about China's importance.

On Monday he told university students in Beijing his 16-year-old daughter was learning Mandarin and was due to visit China next week.

Asked if Britain needed to improve its understanding of China, he said: “I think it's going to happen. Human beings are very smart, we will gradually realise that this is the thing we need to know and so you're going to find kids in our city, in London, growing up thinking yeah, China, got to know about that, and they'll learn.”

Mr Johnson added: “I love China. I think it's an extraordinary place and I think the more we learn about Chinese culture and the more we learn to appreciate it and to understand it, the better.”

His comments come in stark contrast to those he made in 2005, when he wrote in The Daily Telegraph that: "We do not need to teach our babies Mandarin [...] China will not dominate the globe".

He admitted that "some things I wrote ten years ago don't look entirely accurate now" adding that "we've got to get with the programme".

Boris Johnson: Children should learn Mandarin in school - Home News - UK - The Independent

Marketing ploy by Boris Johnson...he wants Chinese Money into London :lol:.

Chinese is too hard learn in schools. Unless one has Chinese parents, it is really hard to learn.

Marketing ploy by Boris Johnson...he wants Chinese Money into London :lol:.

Chinese is too hard learn in schools. Unless one has Chinese parents, it is really hard to learn.

Of course it is about money, money talks and everyone knows. This, however, goes to show how influential China is right now.

China is influential....

You don't become the worlds second economy, one of the world's leading arms exporter and a permanent UNSC member if you are "not influential".

It has a lot to do with the business deals that the Brits have signed with China - in particular the London RMB trading center and a bit relaxation of the tourists visas

BorisJohnson_1475176c.jpg

trump.jpg

the best looking foxes in the world!

Perfect Putonghua ( Mandarin )

Canadian Mark Rosewell also known as Dashan 大山 (big mountain)in China.

French guy Julien Gaudfroy 朱利安 (zhu-li-an)

American Charlotte MacInnis 愛華 (ai-hua) - living in China since 1988 when she was 7

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the guy who got struck midway on the cross wire?
On Topic:- learning is always good!

Actually, India is becoming the next superpower. So its important to continue to master the English language.

It is. English is the language of International Business. Business create opportunities and innovation, hence the growth.

Back
Top Bottom