What's new

Blasphemy case: Masjid imam offers reward to kill Aasia

probably u didn't notice, but that question want directed towards you.
there is a reason why i asked him to let us know his source of information about life of Muhammad.

Probably you didn't notice but your intentions are very clear, to me atleast. You are not the first nor the last of your "kind" here and i can smell BS a mile away.

Have fun trolling here.
:wave:

T-Faz, just one question, on what you base your knowledge of Muhammad as a historic person?
How do you know about him, his life,his actions, his companions, etc?

From various sources, religious and other scholary works compiled in different times.

These stories you hear often about are well known and used as examples to make children and others alike more tolerant, non violent and respectful.

Its a great way to make people learn of someone important and develop themselves positively.

After all Muslims are supposed to follow in the footsteps of Mohammed (PBUH).

Religious lobby is running riot in Pakistan

Calls for Asia Bibi to be executed under draconian blasphemy laws show religious leaders have no answer to Pakistan's crises

While the country reels from flood devastation, an increasing gap between rich and poor, and a ceaseless energy recession, Pakistan's religious lobby has lined up to attack a straw woman. Yet again a powerful political lobby has decided to focus on an issue that will not solve the nation's most pressing problems.

It all began when last year Muslim women in the village of Ittan Walli refused to take water from mother-of-five Asia Bibi because she was Christian. According to one of the women, Bibi reacted with disgust and, it is claimed, made disparaging remarks about the prophet Muhammad. Soon the local cleric and police were involved and Asia was behind bars for breaching Pakistan's notorious blasphemy laws. She has already spent close to 18 months in one of Pakistan's hellish prisons.

The blasphemy laws – a set of provisions inserted into Pakistan's criminal laws under the Islamist dictator General Ziaul Haq – made it a crime punishable by death for anyone charged with defiling the Qur'an or defaming the prophet Muhammad.

The Lahore high court has taken the unprecedented step of barring the president of Pakistan from pardoning Bibi, a step decried as unconstitutional by legal experts. The blasphemy law "turns them [minorities] into second-class citizens, deprived of freedom of expression or belief," says Human Rights Watch's Ali Dayan Hasan.

If squeaky wheels do indeed get the grease then Pakistan's vocal religious lobby have been liberally lathered by successive governments and a pliant media. Along with criticism of the military establishment, honest and critical exposure of religious chauvinism is a dangerous business.

In Peshawar, Maulana Yusuf Qureshi offered a reward of Rs500,000 (£3,600) to anyone who killed Bibi if the government did not execute her, an astonishing incitement against a fellow citizen. That included calling on the Taliban to take matters into their own hands and murder Bibi if the government did not. A lead editorial in Nawa-e-Waqt, one of the biggest Urdu-language newspapers in the country, lauded Qureshi's rhetoric. If only sharia law applied in Pakistan, the editorial went on to lament, the current debate over reforming the blasphemy law would be entirely moot.

Meanwhile in Mohmand tribal agency, the Taliban claimed responsibility for a massive suicide blast at a meeting of government officials and a local anti-Taliban Lashkar that killed 44.

Pakistan's federal minister for minorities and the governor of Punjab have both been threatened with death for calling for Bibi's death sentence to be commuted. Former information minister Sherry Rehman has also received death threats for introducing a private members bill calling for the blasphemy laws to be amended to reduce its misuse.

The clear link between the terrorism that has rocked Pakistan and the blasphemy-related incitement to violence cannot have been lost on the Nawa-e-Waqt editors, Qureshi or others. Like the popular mantra that the terrorism is the work of India and other foreign actors and not home grown, the kill Bibi campaign reflects the simple fact that our most powerful religious leaders have no answers relevant to the crises faced by Pakistan.

At a time when WikiLeaks has disclosed the abject hypocrisy of one of the key apologists for the Taliban and Islamist excesses in our country – who despite publicly blaming the US for all the problems faced by Pakistan privately lobbyied to be made prime minister "for a price" – it is worth remembering that the Islamist lobby represents the worst kind of opportunism.

Even Sufi-religious orders such as Sunni Tehreek, often touted as a more liberal antidote to the Taliban and its Wahabi supporters in Pakistan, have called for Bibi to be killed and the existing blasphemy law to remain in force.

Scholars who genuinely practice the theological precepts of ijtihed, or independent reasoning, a vital ingredient for challenging the present chauvinism, are thin on the ground. One of their most important members, Dr Umar Farooq, was murdered by the Taliban because of his involvement in an impressive army programme to deradicalise young men trained to be suicide bombers.

Even the architect of the blasphemy laws under which Bibi has been sentenced has admitted they are too draconian and liable to abuse. Others have argued that at least, for the first time, some Pakistanis are able to openly talk about amending or repealing the blasphemy laws. And true we are not a nation of intolerant Muslims. But if the majority of us remain silent as the dangerous winds of intolerance spread through our villages and mosques, what exactly does it mean to be tolerant?

Religious lobby is running riot in Pakistan | Mustafa Qadri | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Invite them all for some "Halwa" these mulvi's love halwa... Then blow the damn place up. Seriously these fundi idiots have ruined Pakistan.

Seriously these fundi idiots have ruined Pakistan.
And you're just going to be a good Pakistani and let that happen, right? I don't read any recent news stories of Pakistani or British demonstrations against Pakistan's anti-blasphemy laws.

And you're just going to be a good Pakistani and let that happen, right? I don't read any recent news stories of Pakistani or British demonstrations against Pakistan's anti-blasphemy laws.

Soloman don't jump the gun ;)

Our efforts are grass roots but they are there. Just because we don't make the 9 O'Clock news and the Fundies do, you think we are here silently slipping into the night... :lol:

Rome wasn't built in a day. Changing a national mindset takes time, it's not like making a cup of Joe "Simply Add Water". Give it time please.

BTW protests = Zilch...

Invite them all for some "Halwa" these mulvi's love halwa... Then blow the damn place up. Seriously these fundi idiots have ruined Pakistan.

Sir with all due respect I feel this is an extreme view. I know you will never do such a thing but the simple fact that saner elements are thinking in this manner worries me. Shows our desperate situation.

Sir with all due respect I feel this is an extreme view. I know you will never do such a thing but the simple fact that saner elements are thinking in this manner worries me. Shows our desperate situation.

Sorry if i startled you, i apologise. I am just so darn tired of seeing these fools ruin our nation. 1970 sey mulk ke mitti haram kar de hain... All for what?

BTW protests = Zilch...
Back in the 1970s the USSR restricted Jewish emigration. We Jews responded by protesting outside their embassies (by law, no closer than 500 feet), at least one demo a week for years. I remember one day I was the only protester.

What could we accomplish, people wondered, by demonstrating against a totalitarian regime? (At times, I wondered, too.) The embassy folks never talked to us. Sometimes they had the police arrest us. But what we accomplished was putting our views on the public agenda, first domestically, then internationally, to the point where Soviet persecution of Jews seeking emigration (especially Zionists) could not pass unnoticed. Bit by bit the gates of escape creaked open, emigrants trickled out, and the visible and secret walls of tyranny crumbled with them (glasnost), until with the demise of the USSR the trickle become a happy flood.

Yeah, back in 1978 or so it might have looked like protesting was accomplishing nothing. Sometimes appearances are deceiving.

In the beginning the question was whether this woman was guilty or not. Since by popular clamor she is adjudged guilty, the question became whether to pardon her or not. Now that that is ruled out by the Lahore court the question is how she is going to die.

I don't see how you're going to accomplish anything unless you seek to tip the scales of public debate. Unlike columns, on-line forums, or blogs, street demonstrations are power, for they demonstrate the will to act against the decisions of authority: space that a protester occupies is space the authorities do not control.

So I ask you, why do you think "protests = zilch"?

Back in the 1970s the USSR restricted Jewish emigration. We Jews responded by protesting outside their embassies (by law, no closer than 500 feet), at least one demo a week for years. I remember one day I was the only protester.

What could we accomplish, people wondered, by demonstrating against a totalitarian regime? (At times, I wondered, too.) The embassy folks never talked to us. Sometimes they had the police arrest us. But what we accomplished was putting our views on the public agenda, first domestically, then internationally, to the point where Soviet persecution of Jews seeking emigration (especially Zionists) could not pass unnoticed. Bit by bit the gates of escape creaked open, emigrants trickled out, and the visible and secret walls of tyranny crumbled with them (glasnost), until with the demise of the USSR the trickle become a happy flood.

Yeah, back in 1978 or so it might have looked like protesting was accomplishing nothing. Sometimes appearances are deceiving.

In the beginning the question was whether this woman was guilty or not. Since by popular clamor she is adjudged guilty, the question became whether to pardon her or not. Now that that is ruled out by the Lahore court the question is how she is going to die.

I don't see how you're going to accomplish anything unless you seek to tip the scales of public debate. Unlike columns, on-line forums, or blogs, street demonstrations are power, for they demonstrate the will to act against the decisions of authority: space that a protester occupies is space the authorities do not control.

So I ask you, why do you think "protests = zilch"?

Because of this:

This was a very peaceful protest for women's rights... Some right's eigh... Did anyone listen?

Did the hell..

In Pakistan protests are a dime a dozen and usually end up like this:
Protest2PA_468x338.jpg

If you want to make a change, you do it from the ground up. Be honest do you really think the western media or any respectable broadsheet will pay heed to the cries of 200 odd people?

Now if that number was 20,000... Then that's a different story. There are many groups who are not happy with the way our nation has been hijacked in the name of religion.

We may be in the hundreds today, soon a day will come when we will be in the thousands. Then, when we have the strength to stand tall, we will be vociferous, till then we do what we can at a much smaller yet i would say effective scale.

If you still doubt our efforts i would recommend you visit:
Khudi

All the best Solomon

Because of this:

Be honest do you really think the western media or any respectable broadsheet will pay heed to the cries of 200 odd people?
Surprise! Our discovery was that such media coverage was not necessary. We only needed to grab the attention of elected officials (or those running for office) to move our concerns near the top of the U.S. diplomatic agenda.

By the way, it is rare for the media to pay attention to repeated demonstrations by few or single protesters. In D.C. for months in the 1990s a man protested outside the vice-president's residence along a major street with a sign reading, "I was raped by a Catholic priest." I saw this man myself, more than once. No one wrote about or interviewed him. When the story of cover-ups of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church finally did come out - having nothing to do with this man! - reporters all over D.C. moaned about the opportunity they missed that they felt could have led them to a coveted Pulitzer prize!

Last edited:
I am a member here, and also of another forum frequented by Muslims. One in particular I have corresponded with extensively for a couple of years. While I haven't met him, I consider him a dear friend. He is a true Muslim, tolerant and loving, living in the U.S. He has taught me much about Islam, although I am Christian and will remain so.

But not many Westerners look deeper into Islam. What happens (and I mean no disrespect) is that stuff like this "blasphemy" law, this trial, and now the head money - it makes the news here, and people are afraid. Genuinely scared.

A change in policy... yes I know it takes time. But speaking personally, it needs to hurry up. People are freaking out. Imagine if a Muslim here in the U.S. was sentenced to death for "insulting" the Holy Bible. The world-wide rioting would be endless and people would die.

I, as a Christian, am surrounded by mockery here in the U.S. We are not respected. Our own Bible tells us we will be mocked, persecuted, and killed, and to take no vengeance on religious grounds, but rather, to go about our lives. We are looked upon as Bible-bumping fools, back-woods goobs, young-earth idiots. Yet, my faith is not shaken by outside forces or insulting displays.

Secular nations work. People are free to believe... or not. Worship... or not. Being respectful is a good thing, but even that is not a requirement. A thicker skin is.

This woman needs to go free, and remain safe.

Protests suck!
Let us make a common voice to pressure government into arresting this lunatic cleric. I am sure he has ties to taliban as well!

Protests suck! Let us make a common voice to pressure government into arresting this lunatic cleric. I am sure he has ties to taliban as well!
I strongly suspect tha pressuring the government without ground-roots support for doing so, or arresting the cleric on a false charge, are both recipes for massive riots in favor of more Islamic militancy.

So is there any other conclusion you can draw, somebozo, than to realize that you need to step out into the street to save your country? Yeah, protests suck, if only because they take a lot of time away from making love and money. (Or, as in my case cited above, you get wet and lonely on a rainy day.) But sometimes you just have to accept that.

Back
Top Bottom