Blackberry: Western gov'ts won't permit China buyout

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Blackberry: Western gov'ts won't permit China buyout
e89a8f5fc4c215eb84b209.jpg
Blackberry's market share has slipped to less than 1 percent, according to third quarter data released by Strategy Analytics. [File photo]

Western countries won't allow Blackberry to be taken over by a Chinese company, said Blackberry Chief Executive Officer John Chen in an interview with Bloomberg taped on July 23.

"We probably are unable to do that," Chen said, when asked whether he would accept a bid from a Chinese company, in the interview that will air on tonight on Bloomberg TV.

There have been rumors since last year that Blackberry is going to bought by China's Lenovo Group, with the latest report coming out on Oct. 20. The U.S.-based business website Benzinga quoted sources as saying that Lenovo could propose a US$9.3-billion bid for Blackberry. Shares in the Canadian-based phone maker surged 8.5 percent on the day of the report.

"One of our biggest installation bases is government in the so-called Five Eyes countries where governments share intelligence. I think there would be a lot of regulatory issues and concerns," explained Chen.

The Five Eyes refers to an intelligence alliance consisting of the United States, Canada, the UK, New Zealand and Australia. These countries are bound by the multilateral UKUSA Agreement, a treaty for joint cooperation in signals intelligence.

Blackberry has been a top smartphone choice for corporation executives and government officials because of its reputation for security. U.S. President Barack Obama, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister David Cameron are all users of Blackberry phones.

However, over the past few years, Blackberry's market share has witnessed a continuing drop as the market has been divided up by Android and iOS. According to the latest data from Strategy Analytics, Blackberry only held a 0.7-percent market share in the third quarter of 2014.

During the APEC CEO Summit in November, Chen met with Chinese phone makers including Lenovo and Xiaomi. Chen expressed interest in building partnerships with Chinese companies and expand Blackberry's share in the mainland market.

I don't blame the governments. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with using a system controlled by an external entity. The external entity being Chinese brings in the added dimension of spying and intellectual property theft. The Xiaomi and Xperia experience should be enough of a warning to everyone. Anyone who still chooses to ignore this to save a couple of bucks by going with a Chinese phone should do it at their own peril.

^
China Intel Agency is 100x better than CIA and NSA.

What US do all the time is just following what China did.

At first, US always object and protest about what China do, but at the end they just copycat it.

China government system is perhaps the world most advanced today.

I don't blame the governments. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with using a system controlled by an external entity. The external entity being Chinese brings in the added dimension of spying and intellectual property theft. The Xiaomi and Xperia experience should be enough of a warning to everyone. Anyone who still chooses to ignore this to save a couple of bucks by going with a Chinese phone should do it at their own peril.

Then prepare to see blackberry bankrupt. :enjoy:

^
China Intel Agency is 100x better than CIA and NSA.

What US do all the time is just following what China did.

At first, US always object and protest about what China do, but at the end they just copycat it.

China government system is perhaps the world most advanced today.

In time of war, I think China will easily decipher all western codes and our war machine will trashed and jammed them like hell. :enjoy:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom