What's new

BIMARU Corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Proper men"...remember??8-)
Do you even think before making such comments:angry:

Tu aisaa kiya keh diyaa mein neii ? Mr.Levina is joru ka ghulam hence he isn't a real man ! :whistle:

Chal jhoota!! :coffee:

Me and Lying ! :o:

LOUDER!!
I cant hear you :argh:

Even with your elephant-sized ears you can't hear ! :unsure:

Haan haan I am gonna meet some of them tomorrow and then my whole family will split and slice you for that comment on aunties.:devil:

I hope they aren't the atypical Indian Aunties with layers of flab coming out of their Sarees which are always two sizes too small ! :p:

Show me your face once again and let me search for bald spots on your top floor with a microscope.:confused:
Last I heard during a cafuné your GF found out that you wear wig.:D

If I ever go bald; I'd shave of my scalp ! :)

Never a wig ! :bad:

You have a peculiar view of history and the purpose of history, to put things very, very mildly.

History is not a propaganda exercise, it is not an exercise in chest-thumping. It is an ongoing dialogue with the past. We ignore and flout our past at our peril. History is not objective, it is not free of bias. It can be no such thing as long as there is an observer who is a human being with all the personality of a human being. But it can be honest. Good history is honest. Bad history is dishonest, dishonest to the core. It distorts, twists and perverts, and bends even observed fact to its purposes. That is not what is done by professional historians when presenting a case, when there is a selection of facts which bear out the case; in those instances, the facts that do not bear out the case are not deliberately concealed. Where propagandists are concerned, these facts are deliberately concealed.

Writing a new chapter in history is a commendable goal. Trying to do so without taking the past into the conversation is less than commendable, less than intelligent, less than reasonable. It is downright foolish.

None of this should be taken, even for an instant, as a criticism of your writing. I know you for one of the balanced intellects on the forum. But in your enthusiasm to curb jingoism, you have managed to throw out the baby with the bath-water.

A Professional Historian or a Researcher - Does a rarity such as that exist in today's world especially if most of your time one's grants & tenure are intrinsically linked with a myriad things ?

Take the example of Norman Finklestein - His tenure got cancelled and he got pushed around simply because he had the Opinion that Israel was the wrong party in the Israel-Palestine Conflict and he wrote rebuttals to that effect; even Noam Chomsky (his mentor and supporter of sorts) said something to the effect in the documentary film about Finklestein that you'd expose the American Intellectual Community as the frauds they are and they're not gonna forgive you for that !

At any rate every author I've ever come across who's written on South Asia (including the big-names) seem to superimpose their own reading of history onto History and then set about making a case out of it; they appear, to my untrained eye, acting more as clever lawyers than impartial and dedicated historians !

Khair, hows life treating you ? :)

Tu aisaa kiya keh diyaa mein neii ? Mr.Levina is joru ka ghulam hence he isn't a real man ! :whistle:
Nevah again!:nono:

Armstrong said:
Me and Lying ! :o:
Liar liar pants on fire :coffee:

Armstrong said:
I hope they aren't the atypical Indian Aunties with layers of flab coming out of their Sarees which are always two sizes too small ! :p:
They're my aunties so I am not sure if I would judge them by their size.They all pamper me so I luv 'em all.:-)

Armstrong said:
If I ever go bald; I'd shave of my scalp ! :)

Never a wig
Hehehehe...
Jacky Chan without hair ! :bad:

None of this should be taken, even for an instant, as a criticism of your writing. I know you for one of the balanced intellects on the forum. But in your enthusiasm to curb jingoism, you have managed to throw out the baby with the bath-water.

let's not take it too far. :)

Point taken though. and an excellent post :)

Yes.

And I would rate the movie highly IMO.

The violence was pushing it for a M rated movie though. Pushing it.

what did you think?

Loved it, especially Sebastian Stan as Winter Soldier. There's also a series on Telly, Agents of SHIELD, that has Phil Coulsen ressurected from the dead. They're doing a nice job connecting events that happen in the movie with their story arc.

Though, once the Avengers are in place, the idea of these Superheroes facing great peril all alone seems a bit weird.

Loved it, especially Sebastian Stan as Winter Soldier. There's also a series on Telly, Agents of SHIELD, that has Phil Coulsen ressurected from the dead. They're doing a nice job connecting events that happen in the movie with their story arc.

Though, once the Avengers are in place, the idea of these Superheroes facing great peril all alone seems a bit weird.

Nice cameo by George St. Pierre (GSP) if you are an MMA fan.

He was Bartroc the Leaper, I think. The leader of mercenaries in the ship.

Not a MMA fan...but I did recognize Batroc.:)

@SarthakGanguly You still have access to internet though?:unsure: Is it a precaution against remotely exploded devices?
Not sure why it is done so frequently. That is one reason. The publicly given reason is to prevent rumor mongering. Wired connections still do work sometimes. Previously it was very strict. Now a little lax. Came to Udhampur after voting.

Not sure why it is done so frequently. That is one reason. The publicly given reason is to prevent rumor mongering. Wired connections still do work sometimes. Previously it was very strict. Now a little lax. Came to Udhampur after voting.

I read that 2-3 village mukhiyas were killed and hence the heightened security. But the news received little publicity, as if it was a routine occurance. Are killings still that frequent?

A Professional Historian or a Researcher - Does a rarity such as that exist in today's world especially if most of your time one's grants & tenure are intrinsically linked with a myriad things ?

Take the example of Norman Finklestein - His tenure got cancelled and he got pushed around simply because he had the Opinion that Israel was the wrong party in the Israel-Palestine Conflict and he wrote rebuttals to that effect; even Noam Chomsky (his mentor and supporter of sorts) said something to the effect in the documentary film about Finklestein that you'd expose the American Intellectual Community as the frauds they are and they're not gonna forgive you for that !

At any rate every author I've ever come across who's written on South Asia (including the big-names) seem to superimpose their own reading of history onto History and then set about making a case out of it; they appear, to my untrained eye, acting more as clever lawyers than impartial and dedicated historians !

Khair, hows life treating you ? :)

I agree. And that is what is happening to Indian historians; they are under continuing attack from revisionists v2.0, with chances of the attacks intensifying in venom and personalised attention. The VHP, for instance, has started calling individuals whose identity and personal details have been made public, by accident or by negligence, and threatening those of them who have gone on record against the Parivar or its policies.

About the superimposition of their views and then making a case out of it, I had referred to that in my post. It is a necessary action, provided that it is done with transparency, with honesty, without concealing contrary and inconvenient facts.

Life is treating me indifferently, on various fronts.

Never counted it. :sarcastic::sarcastic:

I can't decide specifically, you can try and watch on youtube, their old actors and actresses don't look like uncles and aunties. But most Pakistani movies had some similar stories how brother and sisters got separated in their childhood and the heroine or the mother or sister of hero has the name Sabira. :sarcastic::sarcastic:

@cheekybird can better tell you.
Was never a big fan of lolly wood :enjoy:

Who winning the election ? @chak de INDIA and others?
Congress :yahoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom