BIMARU Corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ek hai...charbi tezaab naam hai uska.:partay:
kahi ye to nai....:partay::partay:

[]
tumblr_luzn9lgu591r4l807o1_400.gif

@scorpionx

15th century peaceful part of India discovery.

• Leibniz formula for pi The Leibniz formula for pi was derived in the early part of the 15th century by Madhava of Sangamagrama (c. 1340-1425 CE), an Indian mathematician and founder of the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics over 200 years before Leibniz.[194][195]
  • Mean value theorem: An early version of this calculus theorem was first described by Parameshvara (1370–1460) from the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics in his commentaries on Govindasvāmi and Bhāskara II.[196]
  • Pi, infinite series: The infinite series for π is attributed to Madhava of Sangamagrama (c. 1340-1425) and his Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics.[201][202] He made use of the series expansion of arctanx to obtain an infinite series expression, now known as the Madhava-Gregory series, for π.[201] Their rational approximation of the error for the finite sum of their series are of particular interest. They manipulated the error term to derive a faster converging series for π.[164]They used the improved series to derive a rational expression,[164]104348 / 33215 for π correct up to eleven decimal places, i.e.3.14159265359.[194][195]
  • Taylor-Maclaurin series: In the 14th century, the earliest examples of the Taylor-Maclaurin series were first given by Madhava of Sangamagrama and his successors at the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics. They found a number of special cases of the Taylor series, including those for the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, tangent, andarctangent. They also found the second-order Taylor approximations for these functions, and the third-order Taylor approximation for sine.[207][208][209]

I agree with the fact that India have been a place of extensive mathematical research and scholarship, which continued even after the end of classical and Golden age of Gupta period especially in the Southern states for its comparative peaceful nature of social and political life. But it is widely accepted that long before the end of Gupta empire a slow and gradual cultural and social degradation started crippling the evolving growth of the Indians as it did to central and West Asia and to China to some extent almost at the same period of time. During the middle of next millennium, it was quite evident that Indian society lost it's fluidity, the explosive curious sense of mind no longer working and the scientific as well as religious, philosophical continuation have been replaced by an unknown internal stagnancy.

Just for an example, mechanized clock was a great subject of fascination of the Mughals. But none of them ever tried to built them of their own and preferred importing them from Europe while the average commoners still depended on the sand clock and the sun dial. The Mughals at the time of consolidating their reign over the rest of India relied more and more on West Asia and Europe for military technology rather than building indigenous military industry in the subcontinent itself. Akbar, the finest and ablest military ruler and administrator of medieval India, although repeatedly harassed by the Portuguese never felt the urge to built a superior naval detachment to protect his seas.

I do not claim that Europe got illuminated with the blessing of science over night or the sense of inquisitiveness just fall among them, but it was right after the renaissance their society learned the value of liberty and democracy which helped them in innovating in every field like Military, art,literature and science. Sporadic academic inventions did happen in our society as you have mentioned but that did not proved of much help as a whole to our entire society. This is where the Europeans of 17th Century were leading way ahead than their oriental counterparts. I hope I made my points clear.Regards.

A minor addition: Quoting Megasthenes to reject untouchables is not a very good idea in my opinion.

Last edited:
Tumhara bhi samna ho hi gaya, par launde mein dum hai, kitna bhi pareshan ho jaye dubara aa jata hai. :laugh:

Uski kuch baatein sahi hote hain, lekin bahot ghamand bhara hua hai usme, aur humein humare baare mein sikane aajata hai.:drag:

I agree with the fact that India have been a place of extensive mathematical research and scholarship, which continued even after the end of classical and Golden age of Gupta period especially in the Southern states for its comparative peaceful nature of social and political life. But it is widely accepted that long before the end of Gupta empire a slow and gradual cultural and social degradation started crippling the evolving growth of the Indians as it did to central and West Asia and to China to some extent almost at the same period of time. During the middle of next millennium, it was quite evident that Indian society lost it's fluidity, the explosive curious sense of mind no longer working and the scientific as well as religious, philosophical continuation have been replaced by an unknown internal stagnancy.

Just for an example, mechanized clock was a great subject of fascination of the Mughals. But none of them ever tried to built them of their own and preferred importing them from Europe while the average commoners still depended on the sand clock and the sun dial. The Mughals at the time of consolidating their reign over the rest of India relied more and more on West Asia and Europe for military technology rather than building indigenous military industry in the subcontinent itself. Akbar, the finest and ablest military ruler and administrator of medieval India, although repeatedly harassed by the Portuguese never felt the urge to built a superior naval detachment to protect his seas.

I do not claim that Europe got illuminated with the blessing of science over night or the sense of inquisitiveness just fall among them, but it was right after the renaissance their society learned the value of liberty and democracy which helped them in innovating in every field like Military, art,literature and science. Sporadic academic inventions did happen in our society as you have mentioned but that did not proved of much help as a whole to our entire society. This is where the Europeans of 17th Century were leading way ahead than their oriental counterparts. I hope I made my points clear.Regards.

Please do not conflate Mughal history with Hindu/Indian history. They were parasites of the first order bringing nothing but misery to the Indian society. No wonder in all their rule they could not establish a single university. That is why I said we suffered dark ages due to muslim rule in India. Before the Mughals came, India did not have palaces or spectacular cities, because the taxes collected were not exploitative like the Mughals did. Mughals leached out the blood from the society. So how could people develop anything relate to science. They were too caught up in survival issues.

Is it not strange that once Europeans landed in India they suddenly became master inventors. Where was this ingenuity before that? What was Austerlitz's claim? That Europe was ahead of the world in 17th century? Really? Did you see the thread on Indian inventions? He said we gave nothing to the world except Zero.

I do not understand what you mean by sporadic inventions happened in our country but did not help the country. India was the richest economy even in 1800. After 800 years of burning and being beaten up if a society is still that rich would you call that society a failure? Read the link to know how much of industry was still there in India and how much was destroyed by the British.

1857: History & Propaganda | 2ndlook

A minor addition: Quoting Megasthenes to reject untouchables is not a very good idea in my opinion.

It was the same with the Chinese scholar too. Except for Chandala which were very few people, there was no mention of caste in his writings too. While Megasthenes original work might have been destroyed, other scholars do quote of him.

The ancient Chinese name for India was "Tianzhu" meaning heavenly center. Now they are giving it a twist that it means spiritual center and all that, but it was originally what it mean, "heavenly center."

A similar name is given by the Japanese "Tenjiku" meaning heaven.

Now these names were not given to India because the caste system was thriving and people were being beaten up and degraded as animals. It was the state of well being and prosperity that India had along with its beauty and wisdom that got India these names.

right after the renaissance their society learned the value of liberty and democracy which helped them in innovating in every field like Military, art,literature and science

Also renaissance is hardly given its due, but reformation is held out at the epoch event which changed Europe's history. But the fact is that it lead to more and more wars and more obscurantism with the protestants breaking away and fleeing to the New World where they promptly proceeded to kill the natives. So much for their enlightenment and scientific thinking. All of Europe then was lit up with the literature then found from India. Brahmins were brought over to Europe to learn from them and to translate Sanskrit literature in European languages. Much of Indian science also ended up in Europe much the same way. Suddenly they were inventing overnight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom