What's new

Biker's Lounge

It depends on the design of the system. Most newer designs do not judder.

See, you were wrong.

You do get knowledge on PDF.

Or at least confirmation of new knowledge. Till yesterday I was laboring under the delusion that I had never activated my front ABS because I was a pussy (on the brakes).

See, you were wrong.

You do get knowledge on PDF.

Or at least confirmation of new knowledge. Till yesterday I was laboring under the delusion that I had never activated my front ABS because I was a pussy (on the brakes).

Practicing hard stops in a safe place is good practice for emergencies. Start slow and work up to the higher speeds to see how the bike reacts under hard braking and where the limits are.

Practicing hard stops in a safe place is good practice for emergencies. Start slow and work up to the higher speeds to see how the bike reacts under hard braking and where the limits are.

I never got this concept of "safe place."

I mean I realize you will not get run over. But a washout is a washout, and hurts as bad.

I never got this concept of "safe place."

I mean I realize you will not get run over. But a washout is a washout, and hurts as bad.

That is why you never exceed the limits, which is when washouts happen. But knowing where those limits are beforehand, before you need them, is preferable. Don't slam on the brakes, but work up to harder stops until you know where the limits are for the bike.

Is this what is called a "zero-meter" bike? :D

ZeroMeter.jpg

http://rideapart.com/articles/london-anti-terror-police-use-bmw-f800gs-bikes

2016%2F08%2Fgs.jpg

By Papa Wealey - August 04, 2016

London Anti-Terror Police to Use BMW F800GS Bikes

In response to terrorist attacks in Europe, a squad of armed officers on BMW F800 GS motorcycles will be deployed on the streets of London, according to officials there.

Pillion riders with automatic rifles are being trained to respond quickly, and the motorcycles' off-road capabilities will allow police to get through gridlocked traffic and over curbs. British police already make regular use of motorcycles to move through traffic, but those officers – like most of Britain's police force – are typically unarmed.

As one team officer told the UK's Sky News: "If you look at Europe, at Paris and Belgium, traffic becomes a major impingement on a rapid response. We've looked at tactics and pillion riding with motorcycles gives us a very fast and effective response. The guys practice riding off road so they can bump up and down across pavements and make really good progress from A to B."

The two-wheel rapid-response squad was not created on any specific threat of terrorism, but designed to make London "as hostile an environment as possible" for any potential attackers. According to Metropolitan Police chief Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, given the recent attacks in France, Germany and Belgium, "it would be foolish to ignore" the possibility of future terrorist actions in the United Kingdom. He said the 600 officers will be "prepared to deal with the worst situations."

According to the UK police union, it may take two years to hire and train the 1,500 extra armed officers for operation throughout England and Wales. But Hogan-Howe stressed the need to make the program operational, emphasizing the need for vigilance, and that an attack was "highly likely."

"So it's important we get officers out there with firearms to respond where necessary," he said. "But they are the same officers they were before, they're part of British policing. I want them to be friendly; I want them to approach the public and to be approachable to the public. I want the public to be able to go up and talk to these officers and that's part of their briefing."

Too big. Too heavy. Learn from the SE Asians and Jackie Chan movies. 250 to max 400 cc light trailies. The DRZ400 or the WR450. :tup:

Or if you want to stay Euro, the G450. But that's a maintenance sponge, with service intervals in hours run, not kms.

https://eatsleepride.com/c/102668/bmw_making_a_tripleagain_and_maybe

BMW making a triple...again... and maybe

• bb7dqIxTSOBJIAKuVPsq_Screen+Shot+2015-03-11+at+12.23.08+PM.png

BMW W3
    So it looks like BMW may be bringing back the triple. However, unlike the inline-3 engines it had on their K-series "flying brick" bikes of the 80's, this new engine may have a W configuration. That is, the piston orientations form the shape of a W:

X5nDfCOGTFavw1zQ2HST_bmw_cruiser_engine_1st_design_2.jpg

bmw_cruiser_engine_1st_design_2
    9LiSpVJSgCUvqG8ls7Jo_bmw_cruiser_engine_2nd_design_2.jpg

bmw_cruiser_engine_2nd_design_2
    Yyfn8aZrS2iNoUorAwKT_bmw_cruiser_engine_2nd_design_web.jpg

bmw_cruiser_engine_2nd_design_web
    The word on the street is that BMW has 2 patents on such an engine. The first is for a W configuration with 3 separate crank throws and 3 crank pins, one for each piston. The second patent is for a setup where 2 of the pistons share a crank throw and pin. Having 3 separate crank throws and pins makes for a wider engine but allows for complete freedom in firing order and timing whereas tying two of the pistons together kind of turns the motor into an asymmetrical twin... kind of. Both configurations are air-cooled and use pushrods to actuate the valves - so fairly low-tech in the emissions-ultra-conscious world we live in these days.

If BMW decides to build this, I suspect that it will be in the form of some kind of cruiser. It has, after all, been a long while since we've seen a cruiser-like bike from BMW. The last one I recall is the R1200C, which was last made over a decade ago and was famously used in the Brosnan Bond-film Tomorrow Never Dies.

Anyway, it's nice to see that bike companies are starting to innovate and try new things again - Yamaha's parallel triples, Kawasaki's beastly supercharged H2 and even an electric bike from HD...Maybe someone will bring back the Wankel Rotary and use advances in materials sciences and engineering to solve the problems these little motors were notorious for. Or maybe someone will combine a couple of these W engines to produce a radial monstrosity... like this:

M1nWRya5QI6kYLxEHrjA_rotary.JPG

rotary
    I welcome this revitalized trend of innovation and experimentation and a return to the glorious 60-80's era when bikes were mental.

-Larry

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2016/0...e-accidents-and-strategies-for-avoiding-them/

Touring Tip: Five Common Sources of Motorcycle Accidents and Strategies for Avoiding Them
Aug 05, 2016

1. Oncoming, Left-turning Vehicle: This is probably the most common cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of an oncoming vehicle doesn’t see a motorcyclist and makes a quick left turn directly in the rider’s path.
    Avoidance Strategy: First, it’s always helpful for riders and their mounts to be as conspicuous as possible, which is aided by auxiliary lights and high visibility riding gear. Second, look for indications that the oncoming driver may not see you: no eye contact, hands turning the steering wheel, or movement of left front wheel. Third, ride at a safe speed in traffic congested areas, because higher speed equals longer stopping distances. Some riders, however, slow to a crawl when they see a left turning vehicle, but this is an invitation for that driver to turn in front of you!

2. Animals in the Road: I’ve experienced just about everything from ground hogs to buffalo in the road. And it doesn’t necessarily take a large critter to take a two-wheeler down. I also know this, unfortunately, from personal experience.
    Avoidance Strategy: Constantly scan the road and surrounding terrain for animals, particularly when undergrowth and trees are close to the pavement. Also, those deer warning signs are usually present for a reason. Be especially alert when riding in the early morning or evening, when animals are the most active. Adjust your speed and cover clutch and brake levers in high-risk areas. And, of course, it never hurts to periodically practice emergency stops and swerves in a parking lot.

3. Gravel on Blind Curves: Riding through gravel with the bike leaned over at speed is almost certain to result in a crash. The situation worsens if the sliding motorcycle and rider cross the yellow line into the path of an oncoming vehicle—crunch!
    Avoidance Strategy: Gravel on roadways is more likely after heavy rains, near construction sites, and at gravel driveways in rural areas. If riders assume there will be gravel around a blind curve, they are more likely to adjust their entry speed accordingly. It’s also possible to use some light braking in a curve, even with the bike leaned over, especially if the motorcycle has antilock brakes. But the best technique is to avoid the gravel, stand the bike up, and apply maximum braking. Maximizing sight lines is also an important strategy for avoiding all types of hazards on blind curves.

4. Cars Changing Lanes: At on-ramps or while riding on crowded multi-lane urban roads, an adjacent motorist may suddenly pull directly into your path, leaving little or no time for evasive action.
    Avoidance Strategy:Rule number one is to stay out of the blind spots of other drivers. Maximize the space cushion between yourself and other vehicles. Rush hour traffic on highways presents the highest risk for other vehicles changing lanes into a rider. If riding at this time can’t be avoided, I’ve found the best strategy is staying in the far left lane so traffic on only the right side must be monitored.

5. Excessive Speed in a Curve: A rider realizes mid-curve that the curve is tighter than expected and panics. Instead of increasing the bike’s lean angle, the rider stops looking through the curve, stiffens his or her arms, and goes straight off the roadway.
    Avoidance Strategy: Pay attention to that little voice in your head when it says, “I’m riding above my skill level.” Of course, the easiest way to avoid crashing on a curve is to do what’s taught in the basic MSF course: slow the bike before entering a curve and accelerate out of it. Even a highly skilled rider should keep some of the bike’s lean angle in reserve in case it’s needed.
Safe riding practices help motorcyclists avoid accidents and bodily injury, and they also build rider confidence and enjoyment.

Some photos of cheese steaks would be nice as well.

They are on the facebook page I linked. There is a historic covered bridge right by the store, and the roads nearby are absolutely great for rides.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom