What's new

Bhutto's Son To Lead Political Party

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
(CBS) As Pakistan remains in mourning and in crisis following the assassination of opposition leader Benazir Bhutto, CBS News Chief Foreign correspondent Lara Logan has learned that the Bhutto dynasty will continue for another generation. Bilawal, her 19-year-old son is stepping into his mother's shoes, taking over leadership of her political party.

Prospects for elections scheduled on January 8, 2008 look increasingly unlikely and the government continues to insist al Qaeda was responsible for Bhutto's death.

The government says it knows who carried out the attack, but Pakistani police say their investigation is just beginning.

Despite a government-released video which shows a gun being fired at close range towards Bhutto moments before the suicide blast, officials claim she died, not from a bullet or shrapnel wound, but after her head hit a lever on her car.

Violence in reaction to Bhutto's killing continued to rage in the streets of some Pakistani cities Saturday, with hundreds of demonstrators throwing stones and looting stores.

In places where anger had burned most fierce, a heavy police presence backed up by the army plus a vow from President Pervez Musharraf to treat demonstrators harshly, has kept many people off the streets.

The riots however have taken their toll on the country's infrastructure - and on public confidence.
International elections observers who have not already been evacuated are saying there is no way the elections can be held on schedule.

"Because of the violence we have seen, polling stations burned, material destroyed, we cannot even reach all the polling stations and supply them," Michael Gahler of The European Union Observer Mission tells CBS News Correspondent Sheila MacVicar.

On the streets people are beginning to agree. Not because they don't want democracy, reports MacVicar, but because elections right now could not possibly be fair.

Pakistan's emergency election committee today announced it will meet Monday to decide whether elections can be held as scheduled in just 10 days.
Bhutto's Son To Lead Political Party , Slain Opposition Leader's Son To Carry On Bhutto Dynasty, Lead Pakistan Peoples Party - CBS News

Bilal is too young to lead a political party.

He will merely be the face that charges the supporters with the 'magic' of the Bhutto name.

No wonder he uses his mother's maiden name instead of his father's.

It will also save the infighting in the party that would have taken place for the leadership. Notwithstanding, there will be some power struggle behind the scenes.

Here is a prime example of what is wrong with Pakistani politics. Don't party members get a say in who gets to run a supposed political party? It's like something from the middle ages.

vicious circle......nation still worshiping present day Pharaoh.
People forget his SMS message to BBC.

So much for democracy.

They themselves practice heridatory rule.

Bilawal, is just a kid. Imagine if PPP wins the elections they'll thrust a 19 year old Prime Minister!

Why can't Makhdoom Amin Fahim lead the charge? He did fine till Bhutto was out of Pakistan.

vicious circle......nation still worshiping present day Pharaoh.
People forget his SMS message to BBC.

Why blame this hero worship and cult following to Pakistan alone?

In India, without the Nehru Gandhi family, the Congress, the most powerful political party, is a huge Zero and yet there are some very capable people in it, though largely a party of sycophants.

In fact, Sonia Gandhi screwed up both the Gujarat and the Himachal elections and yet none have the guts to tell her so.

emotion rules over wisdom. Nodoubt Ameen Fahim is most sensible choice.

So much for democracy.

They themselves practice heridatory rule.

Bilawal, is just a kid. Imagine if PPP wins the elections they'll thrust a 19 year old Prime Minister!

Why can't Makhdoom Amin Fahim lead the charge? He did fine till Bhutto was out of Pakistan.

I think Bilawal will be used as a poster boy with the real power with the Vice President and other luminaries of the PPP.

Just like that insipid and substance devoid Rahul Gandhi!

The Congress Party, which has a glorious history, has been sunk to being mere 'has been' by this Mother and Son duo! The original symbol of a Cow and Calf is what is the real manifestation of the current Congress Party.

The Congress' chequered history is in the dumps these days and hence parties like the BJP and BSP are finding space in Indian politics.

Can Fahim or that lawyer guy mobilise mass support ? If so the kid should go back to his college leaving politics to these people.

I think Bilawal will be used as a poster boy with the real power with the Vice President and other luminaries of the PPP.

Just like that insipid and substance devoid Rahul Gandhi!

I'll give you a better comparison : RABRI DEVI. :pakistan:

Shame I'm not a Bhutto...otherwise me and Bilawal have the same qualifications.

I'll give you a better comparison : RABRI DEVI. :pakistan:

Well Lallu when accused because of the fodder scam said this:

OK I have eaten the fodder for the cows.

But she what I gave in return to Bihar - I gave Rabri! :)

The man is a joker!

So what now daugher was taking revenge of her father all long and now son will take the same of his mother. God bless pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom