What's new

Beijing debates why India looking eastwards

India's westren flank is completely blocked interms of Road or Railway because of Pakistan, so we have a possibility of having such links via Burma to Indo-China (or South east asia). So looking east makes some sense, as well as the Indian community has presence in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Indian Navy is active in straights of mallaca fighting piracy etc. So, if China feels reading too much it can read it, but the look east started in 90s when the relations with China were cordial. Again, China is picking up Chintu and Pintu in the name of string of pearls, India might have extrapolated a purely economic initiative and expanded to military objectives.

China is over reacting again…there is no doubt that India wants to be global player…the present tour of PM to East Asian countries is a part of that strategy....however, the part that bothers me is why is China so concerned with Indo Japan relations or Indo Vietnam relations. If the same logic is applied should not India be concerned about growing China Pakistan relations?

Among nations like Russia, Japan, and the U.S., India is one of the pearls not the other way around.

First, if that is case why a hue and cry in People's daily about India's East Asian policy...I presume People's daily is your government mouth piece

ha, excellent response- japan is currently stronger than india.

The Indian economy isn't even a quarter the size of Japan's. Not too much can be said of its miltary either, not at least when its the world's largest arms importer. Who's whose pearl?

But would not be any longer....Future is the thing that matters not the present especially in things that are strategic

India is growing largest economy . India has its own energy and business requirement.We need more trade , more energy so that pace of our economy can be maintained.In this bid we are approaching every nation of world including china and Pakistan. China is one of largest trading partner of India , We working with Pakistan for various gas pipline and other business. So neither we are pearl nor we are string.

You should not use the phrase 'one of ' in your description of China's position in your trading partners.

It is PPP that matters....The gap is not much in terms of PPP.Considering the growth curve,it can be said that the tiny gap will be surpassed soon....

Why do indian love to use PPP? Can india use ppp monies when buying billion of dollars of arms from US, russia? eg. the latest $ 10 billion dollars arms purchase from US. Can india tell amercian this is really worth $30 billion dollars, so you have to give 3 times the planes?

It is PPP that matters....The gap is not much in terms of PPP.Considering the growth curve,it can be said that the tiny gap will be surpassed soon....

Why do indian love to use PPP? Can india use ppp monies when buying billion of dollars of arms from US, russia? eg. the latest $ 10 billion dollars arms purchase from US. Can india tell amercian this is really worth $30 billion dollars, so you have to give 3 times the planes?

Weapons from Russia and US will kill the same way any other weapon will do. China still imports majority of her weapons.

Weapons from Russia and US will kill the same way any other weapon will do. China still imports majority of her weapons.

Helloo, i am not talking about which system kill more people effectively or which countries import more weapons. i just showing many indian on this forum, you cannot use PPP to buy a foreign TV or warplanes. US$1 nominal dollar is still US$1. Thank you

U encircle us with chintu-pinto allies,well encircle u with hardcore allies
china string of pearls=pakistan,north korea,at most sri lanka.....
india string of pearls=Russia,japan,US,south korea,malaysia,vietnam...
that's the logic,it's very simple:-)

Errr for these 'hardcore nations' India IS the chinti mintu 'pearl'.

^^ A billion people? Even with our problems, I doubt that. Not in the stratosphere, but no lightweight.

Generally disappointing debate so far, pls note its the Chinese (some) who think its a move to encircle China, just the way Indians (some) think China is encircling us.

The only way this can be overcome is by India and China building stronger ties and building trust.

Whats noteworthy is that irrespective of the China factor, India genuinely needs to build stronger ties with nations in that region. Particularly India's ties with Japan have always severely underperformed, partly due to the Japanese considering themselves part of the west for a long time and also due to their resentment of India's 70s nuclear tests.

Errr for these 'hardcore nations' India IS the chinti mintu 'pearl'.

Asim, for all countries their own country is first and all others are but pearls. You are not implying China is using Pakistan but not the other way round are you? Because such unequal relationship will be detrimental to Pakistan's interests.

Last edited:
Abir said:

look up PLA on wikipedia.com, what flag do you see the most next to weapon names? :china:

look up PLA on wikipedia.com, what flag do you see the most next to weapon names? :china:

I'm really less informative about China, but I guess Russia still a major arms exporting country to China. China did a good work though at indigenousing (sic) defense.

Back
Top Bottom