What's new

BD lifts ban on Indian films

If I remember it well, few BD movies were released in India. One of them being "Beder Meye Jyotsna", which did amazing business.

Or, was it a joint venture production?? Anyway, running each other's movies is a good idea. Will increase competition and quality both side.

We get plenty of soft **** in the form of so called 'shakeela' movies. No need for imports.:no:

Barring B-grade movies,which exists everywhere,some Bangladeshi filmmakers are making good movies.For example,one movie named "Matir Moyna" was nominated for Oscars for best foreign film.

I wonder how many Indians have even heard its name.:rolleyes:

Apart from few old classic Bangla films, I'm all most sure that no Indian or others will like any Bangla film even it's super hit in BD. Non-Bangladeshi audiences will not like our low class, low quality artistes, low budget, unsmart, homemade, cheap story films at all. Also Indians will not like our some good art films, I think. Most of our art films represent our poverty or 71-war which do not attract me also.

BTW, any Hindi film is available in BD through CD or DVD or net, so what is the necessity of playing them in BD-halls?! And if those are allowed then, at least, I think BD govt should not allow all type of Hindi movies. BD govt should allow films to display very selectively which is not very incompatible with our culture.

BTW, Congratulation to Indians for getting a big big market of 16 core people for film in BD, lol!

And lets see what we will get after 5 of 10 years by allowing Hindi movies?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
“We lifted the ban to boost the cinema industry,” Bangladesh Commerce Minister Faruk Khan said.

There are may things to boost. Such a stupid dot is he.

BTW, I'm not talking against Indian Film but be sure BD film will not improve very much and BD film will not more popular than Indian films, even among Bangladeshis, ever. Stupid thinking by stupid Minister.

BTW, I'm not talking against Indian Film but be sure BD film will not improve very much and BD film will not more popular than Indian films, even among Bangladeshis, ever. Stupid thinking by stupid Minister.

At one point of time Literature and art used to be forte of Bengalis. I am sure with this move some investment/interest will come in Bangladeshi movies and who knows this may help revive the old good days of Bengali art on Bangladeshi side as well. Lets hope for the best.

I know Bengalis are very talented people... Now as the ban lifted over Indian movies in BD.. There will be exchange of talented people from both side and then Bollywood will have people from whole south asia (Including talented Pakistani singer/musicians)...

DHAKA: Bangladesh has lifted a four-decade ban on Indian films in a bid to boost attendances at cinemas, a government minister said on Saturday, drawing loud complaints from local actors and directors.

Indian films were banned in Bangladesh since the country’s independence in 1972 in a bid to protect the local movie industry.

“We lifted the ban to boost the cinema industry,” Bangladesh Commerce Minister Faruk Khan said.

The lifting of the ban comes amid warming relations between India and Bangladesh after ties worsened between the neighbours when an Islamist-allied government was in power in Dhaka from 2001 to 2006.—AFP

DAWN.COM | International | BD lifts ban on Indian films

Controversial move, nonetheless a good one. I for me find typical Indian movie boring, but a large segment of BD people unlike me enjoys it.

comeon man, dont be so mean.....
ofcourse money will flow in the market, taxes will be collected, & hence will boost the economy. also compitition will help the industry.

though i will agree to the second part.

...wind is blowing from the wrong direction. However, PM is yet to realize.

Protest over lifting ban on Indian films
Star Online Report
Monday, April 26, 2010

The cinema producers and artistes on Monday staged a demonstration on the FDC premises in the capital demanding cancellation of the government’s decision to withdraw ban on import and display of Indian films in cinema halls.

The government recently in a draft import policy allowed import of Indian and other South Asian movies in the country. But the decision is yet to become effective.

The industry people under the banner Bangladesh Chalachitra Oyko Parishad staged the demonstration around 11:00am on the premises of the Film Development Corporation (FDC), which continued for over 15 minutes.

Eminent actors and actresses, including Razzak, Shahnoor, Anwara, Mizu Ahmed, and film director Mohammad Hannan participated in the demonstration.

Talking to The Daily Star, Mizu Ahmed, president of the parishad, said, "The government took the decision without any consultation with the sector people" and termed the decision ‘subversive’ for the interest of the local film industry.

"The cinema artistes will be affected severely if the decision comes into effect", he added.

Later, the participants told reporters that they had postponed the demonstration after getting assurance from the government that it would not take any decision that harm interest of the country's film industry.

The ban on import and display of Indian films in the country’s cinema halls was slapped in 1972.

....wind was blowing from the wrong direction. The sign was ominous. Finally, PM realized.

Ban on Indian films to stay

Star Online Report
Monday April 26, 2010

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Monday asked the commerce ministry to repeal the decision to withdraw a ban on import and display of Indian films in cinema halls.

A minister revealed it to The Daily Star seeking anonymity, emerging from a cabinet meeting at the Cabinet Division of the Bangladesh Secretariat.

...wind is blowing from the wrong direction. However, PM is yet to realize.

Protest over lifting ban on Indian films
Star Online Report
Monday, April 26, 2010

The cinema producers and artistes on Monday staged a demonstration on the FDC premises in the capital demanding cancellation of the government’s decision to withdraw ban on import and display of Indian films in cinema halls.

The government recently in a draft import policy allowed import of Indian and other South Asian movies in the country. But the decision is yet to become effective.

The industry people under the banner Bangladesh Chalachitra Oyko Parishad staged the demonstration around 11:00am on the premises of the Film Development Corporation (FDC), which continued for over 15 minutes.

Eminent actors and actresses, including Razzak, Shahnoor, Anwara, Mizu Ahmed, and film director Mohammad Hannan participated in the demonstration.

Talking to The Daily Star, Mizu Ahmed, president of the parishad, said, "The government took the decision without any consultation with the sector people" and termed the decision ‘subversive’ for the interest of the local film industry.

"The cinema artistes will be affected severely if the decision comes into effect", he added.

Later, the participants told reporters that they had postponed the demonstration after getting assurance from the government that it would not take any decision that harm interest of the country's film industry.

The ban on import and display of Indian films in the country’s cinema halls was slapped in 1972.

ok..I have no idea about BD film industry but I am sure it must be a big and popular industry and producing good movies.
just a personal query..how popular are Indian movies in BD and its demand ?? asking this cause I heard from BD people in Kolkata that they liked watching bollywood movies back in BD and are always updated about the new released movies..infact even the songs are liked very much !!

@Indian Jatt ^^^
BD people are well up to date with bollywood movies..courtesy Satellite channels,DVDs,Internet.and yeah songs are also in high demand.

On the topic,

PM is backing down following the pressure from local filmmakers.Our film industry is getting its life back thanks to the recent flow of good and tasteful movies by younger generation of directors.At this time allowing Indian cinemas will be disastrous for them.

U-turn on Indian film screening
Mon, Apr 26th, 2010 7:35 pm

Dhaka, Apr 26 (bdnews24.com) — The decision to allow screening of Indian films in cinema halls in Bangladesh is to be repealed.

The decision came only hours after a protest at the Film Development Corporation by producers and actors involved in the Bangladesh film industry.

After attending a programme at Sonargaon Hotel on Monday, Commerce minister Faruk Khan said, "We had recently decided to import Indian films. But will now revert to our previous position."

"The government would not do anything that might harm the local film industry," he told reporters.

He said steps will be taken to stop films from the South Asian countries entering the country.

The ban on import and display of Indian films in the country's cinema halls was imposed in 1972.

Following a review of its import policy, the government had recently proposed that films from India and other South Asian countries should be allowed to be screened.

Bangladesh Chalachchitra Oikya Parishad, a platform of the local film industry, organised a protest on Monday at the premises of the Film Development Corporation (FDC).

They claimed that such a decision would be devastating to the industry.

Popular actors including Razzak, Anwara and Mizu Ahmed took part.

They said the government had taken this decision without any consultation with those involved in the industry.

bdnews24.com/corr/rb/jr/pks/ta/db/1935h.

Back
Top Bottom